Virginia suggestions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to add McClelland's Bulk #2000 Fragrant Matured Cake to my list of GREAT st. va's! It's sweet, fragrant ( seems non-smokers approve of it's aroma from what I've been told) and it tastes great! It's a light, possibly all day va smoke for sure :p

taharris":uw9vyr47 said:
If you don't mind getting hit full in the face with a Nicotine train, try Peterson's Irish Flake.

Good stuff! :affraid:

Todd
Oh yes sir, I agree 100% :bounce:

monbla256":l26uwagt said:
I'd have to add McClelland's Bulk #2000 Fragrant Matured Cake to my list of GREAT st. va's! It's sweet, fragrant ( seems non-smokers approve of it's aroma from what I've been told) and it tastes great! It's a light, possibly all day va smoke for sure :p
I tried this one last night. I'm going to smoke a second or third bowl before I make my final decision on this one. It reminded me of the Ashton Revival Pebblecut for some reason.

Opening Night is the most underrated VA out there, and is my #1 pick. My beloved wessex CDF, has to settle for second place. I'll probably get blasted for this, but give me a fresh tin of Opening Night over a fresh tin of FVF any day. They say FVF only get better with age. I've smoked ON & FVF each w/2yrs on'em, cause that as old as my cellar is, and I still prefer Opening Night. Who knows, when the tins have 10yrs on'em, maybe I'll be singing a different tune. JMO, YMMV.

For one of the BEST full straight Va's with a good hit of Lady N I would strongly recomend Dunhill's Royal Yacht! A blend of dark, full probably stoved from the looks of 'em, va's that lights easily, burns smoothly and delivers the full nic hit that many Va's don't :p

monbla256":xethgz40 said:
This thread needs some more input :p For me, my favorite STRAIGHT Virginias are all domestically made from those folks up in Kansas City. The more I smoke 'em, the more appreciation I get for this particular variety of "that nasty weed " :p
My four faves are:
Virginia Woods for a ready rubbed ribbon cut
Matured Virginia #27 is my fave broken flake
Blackwoods Flake runs #27 for a close second
Matured Virginia #22 is another good broken flake.

Let's see what others like . Remember, STRAIGHT Virginias ONLY :p
Question for you Monbla, does either Virginia Woods or Blackwoods have high "N" content. I really don't like getting hit with an N bomb and I want to expand my horizons a little more.

My favorite by far is Matured Virginia #25. Since I've only been smoking straight VA for about 6 mos, I really don't have an indepth list as I am still trying and learning. My next purchase is going to be #22. As I type this, I'm smoking some MC 5100, although I'm not sure if it's a straight or blend. I'm really enjoying it.

Blackwoods flake is not particularly strong. I haven't tried Virginia Woods yet though.

In general, I have found McClelland's blends tend to be on the lighter side when it comes to Nicotine.

I don't find myself craving Virginias too often but I do enjoy some McClelland's Dark Star when I do.

Of course I may be a little partial to these but trust me, just try them I don't think you will be disappointed:

For an all Virgina blend try the NYPC's Bowling Green Virginia Cake.

If it's a VaPer you crave try our Bedloe's Island Vaper Oriental.

I think they are both exceptional tobaccos, blended for us by Russ Oulette of the Hearth and Home series of tobaccos and over two years of trial and error (error on our part not Russ!).

They can be purchased exclusively at http://www.pipesandcigars.com/newyopiclbl.html

skaukatt":i2qgpmb6 said:
Of course I may be a little partial to these but trust me, just try them I don't think you will be disappointed:

I think they are both exceptional tobaccos, blended for us by Russ Oulette of the Hearth and Home series of tobaccos and over two years of trial and error (error on our part not Russ!).

They can be purchased exclusively at http://www.pipesandcigars.com/newyopiclbl.html

Those look neat! I'll be sure to look into them!

skaukatt":25r9s8a8 said:

I'll attest to the quality of the four NYPC blends; I was fortunate enough to receive samples of each from Bill prior to the Chicago show - and have to admit to calling up Russ to pre-order healthy amounts of both the Bedloe' Island and Hells Kitchen Balkan.

Another, very surpising straight Virginia flake that has really been tickling my fancy lately is from, of all places, Altadis. Marketed under the "Benjamin Hartwell" branding, "Signature Blend" is an exceptional flake featuring extremely high quality Red and Lemon Va's, pressed and stoved into a surprisingly complex and sweet flavour profile. Also, there does not seem to be any of the dreaded PG that Altadis loves so involved in the creation of this blend; in appearance, tin aroma and texture, it would very easily be mistaken for something from the McClelland offerings.

mdavis12":yls7uths said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some good Virginias to smoke. I have REALLY been into Orlik Golden Sliced so if anyone has any suggestions on some tasty virginias please leave them, and I will be sure to pick them up. I am making a run to my local tobacconist tomorrow.

I doubt you can find any still on the shelves from last year, and it's probably too early this year, but get some of McClellands Christmas Cheer whenever you see it. It's a yearly unique tobacco they put out a few months before Christmas. It's all pressed Virginias. I typically don't smoke it any time of year other than late fall into the winter, but it's definitely worth looking into.

zjgilbert":krz3wrtn said:
mdavis12":krz3wrtn said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some good Virginias to smoke. I have REALLY been into Orlik Golden Sliced so if anyone has any suggestions on some tasty virginias please leave them, and I will be sure to pick them up. I am making a run to my local tobacconist tomorrow.

I doubt you can find any still on the shelves from last year, and it's probably too early this year, but get some of McClellands Christmas Cheer whenever you see it. It's a yearly unique tobacco they put out a few months before Christmas. It's all pressed Virginias. I typically don't smoke it any time of year other than late fall into the winter, but it's definitely worth looking into.
I've got a couple of tins of the 2011 version which I'm smoking very sparingly. It's one of the finest virginias I've ever had the privilege to load in a pipe of mine.

joequo":ukmo95og said:
I don't find myself craving Virginias too often but I do enjoy some McClelland's Dark Star when I do.
I don't always smoke Virginias, but when I do I smoke FVF all the time. (Dos Equies reference, get it). Anyway, you can't throw a dead cat without finding some straight virginia worth smoking. Solani SF, Dunhill Flake, Christmas Cheer, Blackwoods, FVF (if you like it "fuller"). The list is a mile long. Va/Pers are currently on my radar so I partake in straight virginias less frequently than last week (haha). I am smoking Christmas Cheer as I write this....guuuuuuud.

Mozjo33":5b0wxx76 said:
monbla256":5b0wxx76 said:
This thread needs some more input :p For me, my favorite STRAIGHT Virginias are all domestically made from those folks up in Kansas City. The more I smoke 'em, the more appreciation I get for this particular variety of "that nasty weed " :p
My four faves are:
Virginia Woods for a ready rubbed ribbon cut
Matured Virginia #27 is my fave broken flake
Blackwoods Flake runs #27 for a close second
Matured Virginia #22 is another good broken flake.

Let's see what others like . Remember, STRAIGHT Virginias ONLY :p
Question for you Monbla, does either Virginia Woods or Blackwoods have high "N" content. I really don't like getting hit with an N bomb and I want to expand my horizons a little more.

My favorite by far is Matured Virginia #25. Since I've only been smoking straight VA for about 6 mos, I really don't have an indepth list as I am still trying and learning. My next purchase is going to be #22. As I type this, I'm smoking some MC 5100, although I'm not sure if it's a straight or blend. I'm really enjoying it.
I've not found many st. va's to be terribbly high in nic except for Dunhill's Royal Yacht which has a BIG nic punch to it ! I'd have to add two other Va's to my list, Erinmore Flake and Dunhill's Flake, two GREAT Va Flake blend/mixtures IMHO :p

go to pipesandcigars.com and get some of their Mississippi River tobacco!

If you're looking for easy and all-day smoking take a look at Old Gowrie and Dunhill Flake

But If you want a nicotine kick, try Dunhill Royal Yacht in a group4 pipe.