Visit to Boswell's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftrplt

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
While visiting family in Maryland just after Christmas, I took a pleasant 45-minute drive to Chambersburg, Pa to visit the Boswell's pipe shop. What a great experience!

Neat store, easy to locate, looks just like the pictures on their website (imagine that!). I was greated by Alex who gave me a thorough run down on the various tobaccos they have. There is a cozy smoking area with leather couches and chairs in front of the main room. Two gentlemen were enjoying a pipe and cigar while I was there. The shop has everything for a pipe or cigar smoker. Of course, I was drawn to the display cabinet on the left wall containing a large selection of Boswell pipes. Just then, JM walked in to say hello; taking a break from pipe-making in the back room! We chatted for a few moments; great guy, very friendly. Talked pipes and tobacco for several minutes; then he asked me if I wanted to see more pipes! Well, of course I did! He returns to the back room and comes out with a cart holding three drawers of his pipes! Talk about "Temptation Heaven!!" I took quite a while going over the selection before deciding on large bent (pictures forthcoming). This is quite outside my usual taste in pipes; but I really wanted something different. This huge beauty has straight-grain all around the round bowl and shank, finished in a medium stain. The top half of the bowl is rusticated in black, as is the gnarly flat bottom of the bowl and shank. An acrylic amber-hued stem sits easily in my mouth. The bowl is deep; takes a big load of 'baccy!! I also liked the fact that the bowl has a slight forward tilt to it. Even with its size, the pipe is remarkably light weight.

Once purchased, I was outfitted with pipe cleaners, pipe tool, matches, box, and tobacco; Northwoods being my choice. JM threw in some samples of his other tobacs, while I also purchased more Northwoods, Mild English, and Countryside.

I spent more time chatting with JM and the other two men in the smoking area while enjoying my new tobacco in a DH 127. Great time talking pipes and tobacco; plus all the various affairs going on in the world. I spent a bit of time admiring all the tobacco memorabilia in the store. Quite a collection!!

Unfortunately, I had to get back to family matters. I met JM's son just before I left. They had to get back to pipe making as they had two to get finished that day!

Great folks; great visit!! :D Get there if you can; you'll enjoy it!! :pipe: FTRPLT

That sounds like a great time!
Congrats on your aquisition. :cheers: :pipe:

Thanks for sharing your experiences! They were closed when I passed by a few years ago. Sounds like I should have camped out and waited til they opened.

Jim

Glad you had a great visit with Boswells! Sounds worth making a road trip for!

I recall a few years ago on pipe.org, that there was quite a discussion about the number of pipes that Boswell's produced over a time span... Did you get a sense that there are several pipemakers in back or is it just JM and his son?

sounds like a great time, boswells is a great place to visit

Chuck....I drove up from Frederick, Md., about a 50 minute drive. How far from your place in Lancaster to C'Burg is it?? :pipe: FTRPLT

it is 100 miles and it takes about 2 hours to get there from my house

Well I've wanted to get into smoking pipes for a while now and this last week I decided to jump in. I was looking at pipes online and I noticed that the name Boswell's seemed familiar. As it were, I moved to Chambersburg, PA about a year and a half ago and just never got the chance to stop in there. Always wanted to but never got the chance and it took a bit for me to put 2 and 2 together to figure out that they were the same Boswells.

So now I've been working on some of Boswell's Best with a MM Cob pipe for a week now and haven't been happier in any previous undertaking. Alex helped me with every question I had and JM and Dan even came out and made sure I was well cared for. Great people in, and associated with that shop. I'm moving again now(not far) and can't wait to get back up there to buy my first Briar. Anyways sorry for hijacking just had to chime in with my Boswell's dealings.

-Hans

Great forum you have going here and I love the support for those of us in the various Armed Forces.

If I'm ever up that way, you can bet I'm stopping in for a visit.

A great tobacconist is a wonderful addition to a city. I'm fortunate to have two or three pipe/tobacco shops near where I live: Knoxville Cigar Company, Leaf and Ale, Smokys', Gatlinburlier. They are each unique but each good.

By the way, welcome to the board Hans!

Mike