W.O. Larsen Limited Edition 2015

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanmedusa

Reaction score
I've been trying some aromatics recently and it encouraged me to try a new blend based on description. I thought this one had a superbly appealing description and I expected it to be not too goopy as it is a premium Danish aromatic brand.

Here is the description: An exotic offering for 2015, this W.O. Larsen number combines Virginias, double-fermented black Cavendish, and cube-cut Burley with white rose leaf and aromas of brandy, raspberry, and pomegranate.

The note in the tin was outstanding but for all the appeal of rose I only discerned a fruit aroma. The tobacco was not goopy or sticky. It was not overly moist. I
didn't really dry it before loading.

The pipe was a vintage Oom Paul. I figured a long smoke for a mild blend. This pipe has proved to be a poor choice for wet smoking tobaccos and if it goes too badly I can't recover it because I can't pass a pipe cleaner. So a true test for this blend's smoking Qualities. And a test it passed. I did not encounter difficulty in keeping this blend lit or the pipe dry. No small feat for some aromatics.

I attempted to smoke this blend slowly. I had a long bowl ahead. I really enjoyed the smoking quality of it and did not have any off putting tongue issues. I detected occasionally a sweetness in the smoke. A fruit type sweetness that had a nice counterpoint when it was playing against the black Cavendish. These were the outstanding taste moments and frankly, on my tongue, far too few. At the lengths in between these moments I did enjoy mindlessly puffing on this blend and it was of course so mild that constant clenching was no problem. No stung eyes. No irritating inadvertent inhalation. Though the smoke had enough fullness for a super mild blend that it was satisfying to puff. I imagine, but couldn't tell you, that it has a nice room note.

After I finished the bowl I came in and did some chores then loaded my Brigham with a second bowl. At this point I struggled to pick out the fruit notes and did find the Cavendish. Again it was still a pretty fine puffing blend. I didn't mind smoking this blend at any point even though I was not being wowed.

I think I will be smoking through my stock of this on days when I want to smoke a lot or have several bowls in a row. Especially in certain company where the room note may be advantageous. I will not be replenishing my stock of this.

I imagine a piper that didn't get here through cigarettes or cigars and hasn't already discovered stronger tobaccos in their pipe might find this a swell tobacco. For me I couldn't reconcile the promise of the description with the mildness of the smoke. I was prepared for the mildness of strength but was expecting a bit more dynamic experience.

I just obtained some other vintage Danish aromatics to try so the journey continues. Thanks for your attention.

Thanks for the nice review. I've been curious about the Danish aros, but consider them slightly less scary than Lakelands. Knowing that it was mild makes me a little less frightened :shock: Do you think there will be much ghosting? I'll look forward to your reviews of the others.
Mike.

juanmedusa":1bwk7elc said:
I will not be replenishing my stock of this.

I imagine a piper that didn't get here through cigarettes or cigars and hasn't already discovered stronger tobaccos in their pipe might find this a swell tobacco. For me I couldn't reconcile the promise of the description with the mildness of the smoke. I was prepared for the mildness of strength but was expecting a bit more dynamic experience.
This is exactly the same conclusion I came to after smoking one tin. I'm somewhat pleased to know that I'm not alone in my opinion about this tobacco. BTW it was a very good review. Thanks. :)

AJ

I smoked, or rather tried to smoke a tin of W.O. Larsen Vintage. Nice aroma, very mild almost non existent flavor coupled with a rabid dog tongue bite at charring light. My pipe didn't even have a chance to warm up before I was crying uncle. There's self induced/bad-form tongue bite and there napalm casing bite, this was definitely a case of the latter. I won't buy another Larsen product.

When it comes to the Danish aromatics, IMHO Mac Baren wears the crown. Danish Mixture, Mixture Scottish and Plumcake are all very good examples of the genre. Davidoff Danish Mixture is also worth checking out.

From those I've tried, and there have been many over the years, I'm in agreement with you D&B

DrumsAndBeer":5qf0dsou said:
When it comes to the Danish aromatics, IMHO Mac Baren wears the crown. Danish Mixture, Mixture Scottish and Plumcake are all very good examples of the genre.
Thanks for the tip on Davidoff Danish Mixture, this one I haven't tried.

I read jiminks reviews on the MacBaren Halberg series on tobaccoreviews. He definitely made the Green sound like something I should try.

Anyone try the Stanwell stuff? I have a tin of Mélange and a jar of aged Jubilee. I also picked up several aged tins of Larsen's no. 80. But I'll probably bounce around a bit before I come back to Larsen.

very good review, felt it provided plenty of helpful information to make a better informed decision in regards to whither I should give this one a go or not. At the moment Im leaning more towards not and going with the Macbaren instead.

juanmedusa":oip5p0nz said:
Anyone try the Stanwell stuff? I have a tin of Mélange and a jar of aged Jubilee. I also picked up several aged tins of Larsen's no. 80. But I'll probably bounce around a bit before I come back to Larsen.
Melange is one of the very few Aro's that I usually have a tin of on hand. I have an unopened one now that's waiting till cooler weather which is when I usually smoke any Aro's. I've smoke it off/on for almost a decade now. it's a nice Va forward Danish style Aro with lots of 'baccy flavor and not ANY goopy/sweet one usually associates with an Aro.  :twisted: :twisted:

Ozark Wizard":zksg5afi said:
Cool tin though.......
Indeed. In fact it's so nice and reusable that I should have made some mention of it. The wife was given these and pleased with them.

MichaelM":z8z4odxd said:
Thanks for the nice review.  I've been curious about the Danish aros, but consider them slightly less scary than Lakelands.  Knowing that it was mild makes me a little less frightened :shock:   Do you think there will be much ghosting?  I'll look forward to your reviews of the others.
Mike.
I can't imagine it would overtake a pipe used for aromatics really. If you smoke it in a pipe you would use for bright VA shag, then sure, a little. For me, not much of a ghosting issue since I was looking for more in it when smoking it! I can pick up black Cavendish in pipes I've smoked it in but I wouldn't smoke this in a pipe that black Cavendish would be unwelcome in. Might the fruit flavors hang around? Maybe, but so subtly that I think I wouldn't discern it much and I think everyone could just smoke it out with successive bowls of some other aro without much difficulty.