W. White Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinw

Reaction score
Hi there! Earlier today I found the remains of a white clay pipe engraved "T 78 W. WHITE" on one side, and "GLASGOW" on the other. I stumbled upon it and a few other items while digging underneath the barn attached to my house in Massachusetts, which was built in 1878. Does anyone have information about this piece that they'd be willing to share with me? I found some references online that indicate there might be some historical value, but those pieces were found far away from here and not sure if that would be the case with this particular pipe. Thanks in advance!

I’ll preface this by saying I’m not an expert. I’m just a guy who has been in this hobby for 20ish years and I’ve read a fair amount.

There isn’t much of any monetary value for a discarded fragment of clay pipe, even one from the late 19th century. I think there may be some historical value to the right group. Clay pipes were ubiquitous and disposable.

I’d love to see a picture of the pipe. Whoever built that barn dropped it there since they would be long since passed when or if it was discovered. That is far better than finding someone’s old soda cup in a stud wall!