Walnut is a keeper-

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregE

Reaction score
I took the advice of a certain member of the brothers here and ordered my own jar of walnut...and I am sold. I really liked the complex flavors and the even burning. It's not exotic but almost could be. For an everyday tobacco and a staple to be used in between the more exotic tobacco moments...this Walnut is perfect. Thank you for bringing it to my attention ......

Glad you enjoy Walnut Greg!

Not having been able to smoke now for a week I am jonesing a nice bowl of Walnut.

What has to happen to a man so that he can't smoke a pipe for a week? Short of a jaw wiring or a coma, I can't imagine. Hope you're OK, Walnut buddy.

I was the lucky recipient of 2 ozs of Walnut and found it to be a worthy tobacco.

In the same way we refer to some straight VAs as complex, I found that the more or less straight burley in Walnut is complex, different flavors, subtle but different, came to the fore.

I bought a tub.

I was gifted a very generous sample of Walnut several weeks ago and I like it a lot. I plan to include a tub in my next order.

LtMac

This Walnut has been compared to newspaper soaked with coffee grounds, and it's longevity paralleled with a thousand years of dirty diapers, with all these great reviews I must add it to my list!

Without the slightest doubt, Walnut is one of the best overall tobaccos ever produced. Hell, it's only been around for about 150 years. I'd say that it has stood the test of time! As is, it's one of the easiest smoking tobaccos around, and with seven differnt tobaccos in the mix, there is something about it that almost everyone can enjoy. Beyond all of that, it is one of the easiest tobaccos to tweak, toward your personal taste preferrence!

Johnny

After hearing all of this, I now think that I am going to have to get some of this fabled Walnut and try it out for myself. Can anyone give me a good etailer where I can order this?

Thanks

Thanks Hermit. I will try to get this taken care of after my trip to Cincy this weekend.

Ray":8omncuyk said:
After hearing all of this, I now think that I am going to have to get some of this fabled Walnut and try it out for myself. Can anyone give me a good etailer where I can order this?

Thanks
http://www.wvsmokeshop.com

WV Smokeshop has lower shiping cost than JR's, at least the last time I ordered from them they did.

Justpipes":e1tgif7y said:
Ray":e1tgif7y said:

Thanks
http://www.wvsmokeshop.com

WV Smokeshop has lower shiping cost than JR's, at least the last time I ordered from them they did.
My gripe with JR’s shipping charges is that on big orders the shipping adds up to a ridiculous amount. Lew claims that prices are adjusted for that.
For one item it is only 2.50, although minimum order is $15.00, so if one was ordering a tub of Walnut, they’d have to add another item and the shipping would go up to $5.00.
(I added some Mayorga coffee.)

I love free shipping!
All my orders at pipesandcigars and smokingpipes make the minimum. :D

Does anyone know of a way to try a little Walnut without buying 12 oz? Do retailers offer samplers or bulk purchase (by the oz) options?

Don't get me wrong: the price is very reasonable...I'm just unsure about having that much of a tobacco I don't like around.

Well as Johnnyflake mentioned, If you're not happy with it , it's one of the easiest tobaccos to tweak to your liking. Personally, I can't stand the pressure anymore and it's on my list to order. If I don't care for it I'll pass it along to someone who appreciates it or shelve it and come back to it later. Think of it as a seventeen dollar adventure. Just a thought.

I sincerely doubt this tobacco is the same as it was 150 years ago, unless PG was readily available then. You can tweak it all you want but how do you eliminate the nastiness?

Dr. François":jacaeb8s said:
Does anyone know of a way to try a little Walnut without buying 12 oz? Do retailers offer samplers or bulk purchase (by the oz) options?

Don't get me wrong: the price is very reasonable...I'm just unsure about having that much of a tobacco I don't like around.
4noggins has 2oz samplers of Walnut. You need to search for it, for some reason it does not show up in their list of tobaccos unless you use the search function. They want near $5 for the sample and when shipping is figured in.......well.

I suppose if you bought a tub and didn't like it you would have very little trouble swapping it off in here.

You can always use it to make an organic bug spray[seriously] to keep aphids off the tomao plants.My father smoked something called "Old Briar",it was a stout,cheap burley with a tin aroma of stout,cheap burley and my mother used to use it to keep ants away from the garden.

Winslow

Winslow":qyih71my said:
You can always use it to make an organic bug spray[seriously] to keep aphids off the tomao plants.
We make tobacco "tea" the to keep the bugs off our pumpkins and tomatoes. (That reminds me, I have to re-apply soon.) Make extra-sure you decant and strain it thoroughly--already lost one good spray bottle to gummy tobacco particles.

So basically this is the WD40 of the tobacco world? Smoke it, Pass it, spray it, age it, blend it, sprinkle it on the garden, praise it, love it, hate it,,,,, one thousand and one uses,,,,