Walnut

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
Ok, so I'll post my thoughts here where it belongs :D
I found the weed needs to dry just a tad for me. It lit well and I needed about three re-lights during a 45 min session..which is pretty darn good for me ( I know guys, I know...a touchdown is a touchdown ;)
Anyway, I thought the taste was fine, perhaps a SLIGHT bit thin for me. I am a cigar smoker so I am still finding the MUCH more subtle nuances of pipe tobacco ( totally different animal). The smoke was consistant thru and thru with no noticeable change in the palette as the bowl burned down. Stayed fairly dry in my bowl ( lit it in a Peterson 1999 July 4th #268) with very little dottle.

Overall: I would definately pick this up as a workhorse smoke and probably mix in a tad of some straight Balkan from time to time to keep things interesting. Definately worth a tin or so to try out, and I will most likely pick up one soon.

FWIW from a "NOOB". Thanks again Mark.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. I was also recently gifted some Walnut from a fine (if not exactly politically liberal :mrgreen:) gentlemen from the Southeast. It was a much better and more flavorful tobacco than I expected, considering its cost and coming in a large "tub" (do fine tobaccos really come in "tubs" :?: ). Overall rather a gentle smoke, but enough flavor to keep my interested and I think on a hot day in Arkansas (which is most of the year!) in a MM cob, with my mutt (and several dozen others from across the county) lazing on the porch with me, it would be a fine way to wast an afternoon.

As you suggest, one could add other tobaccos to it, and I'm thinking it would jazz up a straight Va or burley nicely? I've already ordered a couple of tubs to add to my larder (though I'm sure my aged tins of Three Nuns will be insulted if I store it in the same room with them :mrgreen: )

*added several weeks later: I mixed in some old Penzance, perhaps at 10% +/-, to the Walnut and it's become kind of a poor mans C&D Epiphany.

Natch

Walnut is a fine tobacco for just what you fellows assessed it to be. It deserves it's due! Obviously it's due is good enough to intice Mr. Natch to order a couple of "tubs". That is well over a pound. Must be pretty good stuff. Even when I divert away from it now and again, I long for it and go back quickly. The last couple of weeks there have been several days that I didn't smoke it as I was smoking Pease Cumberland. Cumberland is awesome, as fine a blend as I have ever smoked, but I can say with conviction that it will not replace Walnut as my all day, every day smoke. So, I just hope and pray that Altria that acquired John Middleton, Inc. does not alter or discontinue Walnut. In the event that it could happen I will continue to purchase and stock pile Walnut as often as I can.

This blend is my first "staple" in my cellar. Thnaks to JP! :D Thanks again!

A great go to smoke for anytime of day!

Lucky

Ok, call me what you will but, I have never had Walnut. I have looked everywhere around town and I cannot find it. I saw it once online in a 12oz. tub. I would not want to buy a tub that big if I don't like it. Does it come in pouches or something and where should I look for it? Thanks guys!!!

J_Rock":odjd7j9j said:
Ok, call me what you will but, I have never had Walnut. I have looked everywhere around town and I cannot find it. I saw it once online in a 12oz. tub. I would not want to buy a tub that big if I don't like it. Does it come in pouches or something and where should I look for it? Thanks guys!!!
J_Rock,

Walnut is no longer available in pouches and it is only available in 12 oz. containers. It indeed is hard to find in local stores. WV Smokeshop is the best net resourse that I have found. http://wvsmokeshop.com

JR's is another good online sourse but their shipping charges are a little high to me. http://www.jrcigars.com

Both JR's and WV's charge approximately $14.50 per 12 oz. tub. At least that is what it was the last time I ordered some back before Christmas.

Fortunately for me there are two JR outlets within an hour's drive from me so I can usually get it pretty easy when I am near there without having to pay the shipping cost.

Found this discussion while surfing the internet. Just had to register and put my 2 cents worth in. I have to agree with Justpipes. I currently have 63 cans of Walnut stashed away. I did the math, and that's a little more than 47 lbs (didn't realize it was that much!). I've been smoking it for years, ever since the price of my favorite, but no longer marketed, tobacco hit $40.00 a pound. I looked around and found Walnut to be a more than acceptable substitute for what I was smoking, and much cheaper, too. Now, every time I open a can, I buy two to replace it. As has been pointed out before, Walnut has been around since 1856 and is still on the market. It must have something going for it.

Terry292":powmsnwl said:
Found this discussion while surfing the internet. Just had to register and put my 2 cents worth in. I have to agree with Justpipes. I currently have 63 cans of Walnut stashed away. I did the math, and that's a little more than 47 lbs (didn't realize it was that much!). I've been smoking it for years, ever since the price of my favorite, but no longer marketed, tobacco hit $40.00 a pound. I looked around and found Walnut to be a more than acceptable substitute for what I was smoking, and much cheaper, too. Now, every time I open a can, I buy two to replace it. As has been pointed out before, Walnut has been around since 1856 and is still on the market. It must have something going for it.
Welcome aboard!!! You just became JP's best friend!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Terry292":qyqmkmns said:
WOW! And you guys thought I was crazy about Walnut!

Welcome aboard Terry!

Okay, I bought some. First smoke was AWFUL. Couldn't keep it lit. Family said 'room note' was not as pleasant as my usual daily Toasted Cavendish. Actually ended up with a bit of a headache by the time I was done with first bowl in new cob.

Turns out it was the cob! Darn thing has a loose stem and just wasn't drawing. Sometimes you get the value you pay for.

Have since smoked 10-12 bowls in my Savinellis and have enjoyed it. Even mixed some with regular smoke to try to pick up a little more complexity in taste and aroma. I can't really describe the taste like so many others do but I will definitely keep some and go to it for a little variety and treat. It smokes well. Puts out a good volume of smoke, has a different taste than any of my other smokes. Seems a little lighter tasting and is now part of regular rotation despite family's preference for smell of others.