Waning enthusiasm

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
I seem to be going thru a period of waning enthusiasm for this, my favorite hobby. I've experienced the ups and downs before, but this one seems unusual. I am still smoking 2 or three bowls a day, but my pipes don't seem as sweet, the smoke doesn't seem to satisfy as much. is this the pipe doldrums? well I think it sucks! I have many old and delicious baccies but eh, maybe ill let em get a bit older.

I've come and gone from pipes for 20 years. More recently, with the internet (and a bit more cash), I've bought more pipes and more tobaccos, and gotten into the whole thing more seriously. But there are times I light up and it just doesn't do much for me. So I don't smoke that day, or that week, or that month.

Give it up for awhile, refresh your palate, and return when you like?

I've been noticing the changing weather affects my free leisure time,,thus my pipe smoking,,,,too much to do and the pressure is on to get everything done,,,

Everytime this happens to me I buy a packet of cigarettes. Halfway through the packet I long for my pipes like never before. I guess change is as good as a holiday.

The warmer weather marks my annual slow down. I smoke 1-2 nights a week in the warmer months. Hard to enjoy it sitting outside in 90+ degree heat with mosquitos swarming and sweat dripping. It's like my body switches gears. I watch the weather forecast for cloudy, cooler days.

Come October I'll be back to 5-6 nights a week.

I'm going through the same thing right now with tobacco and alcohol. I went about a week without smoking until a pipe that someone made for me arrived and I had to light it up. I smoked last night as well.

I can tell you what cured me: I just bought a big, bad, chocolate brown leather recliner to smoke in. Life is good my friends.

I'll tell you a sign of my waning like you though: I passed up a Jody Davis lovat for what I felt was an incredible deal from Smoking Pipes last week. To top it all off, one of my Jody Davis is missing....

Olivier":v9fmugfx said:
Everytime this happens to me I buy a packet of cigarettes. Halfway through the packet I long for my pipes like never before. I guess change is as good as a holiday.
With a cigar, instead of a cigarette, the same principle works for me. I also try to switch pipe tobacco brands all the time to avoid palate fatigue.

Sasquatch":dueg5vhk said:
So I don't smoke that day, or that week, or that month.

Give it up for awhile, refresh your palate..............
............And let your pipes rest a bit too. Taking a break every now and then is good for you and your pipes.

Great advice Sasquatch!

The summer season is approaching! Happens to me every year about this time. My interest in the pipe is just not as enthusiastic as it is in the fall and winter.

Edited: Meant to say "just not".

Vaperfavour, I hope you don't give up on this enjoyable hobby of ours although I can understand how your feeling. I had a period about two years (around 1986) after I took up the pipe of quiting because, at the time, I was only smoking Lane 1Q and my pipes were getting sour, etc. that I gave up pipe smoking for about four years. For some reason I decided to give it another go, this time without the Lane 1Q and the rest is history. Been at it for at least eighteen years now (which probably doesn't match your experience with the pipe). My smoking does seem to slow down somewhat during the hot summer months here in Arizona when it gets into the high 110's. The weird thing this year is that I'm getting more into cigars then usual during the summer (still smoking at least one pipe full a day).

Yeap, the same happens to me from time to time. Remember, we own our hobbies, our hobbies don’t own us.

When this happens to me i switch the type of tobacco I smoke to an extreme. It either makes me jump out of my funk or I will just enjoy the new type for awhile. for instance I am normally a burley type blend smoker but of late I have been enjoying mixes like Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. My old blends will be there when I am ready but the new style will kick you back in again. Good luck! We don't want to miss you.

Actually, you guys just reminded me of something. Here in tropical south Texas, we have seasonal smokers: smokers that only smoke when the weather turns cool. I guess since I smoke in the house, I've never really understood this. But I gotta tell you at 11 am, after the gym, it's 92 here. I sure don't feel like lighting a pipe, even in the house.

... from a 12 month hiatus, which remains totally unexplained. I just never thought to pick up a pipe.

Brother am I caning it now though.

I can relate. I've had a couple of phases in and out of pipe smoking. Somewhat seasonal, as I smoke only outside and in Arkansas the summers are pretty beastly, so I do smoke less. But also I've gone from 90%+ cigars and a few pipes to 90%+ pipes with the occasional cigars. My latest "pipe phase" has lasted over eight years, but I've smoked a few puros recently and they tasted mighty fine.

Also, as previously mentioned, I tend to switch to burleys in cobs more in the warmer months and heavier latakia blends in the winter months.

Perhaps a good lesson for us all here; we (should?) all grow and change throughout our lives.

Natch

I am really glad I'm not the only one going through this. :lol: I've been noticing that my regular blends just don't seem to be doing it for me right now. It's good to know that this sort of thing is at least somewhat normal. Feel a little better about it. :D

The only problem I had during my hiatus was dropping out of the fora of which I am a member. At the end of my "rest" I virtually had to re-introduce myself, which was a pain. Try to keep in touch, even if it's just a daily read, as I suspect this will hasten your return. :lol: