WANTED Pics of your old tobacco tins

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fight'n Hampsters":e90vdxw7 said:
I like the Velvet pipe cleaner holder.
Those old flat tins are the perfect size for a 100-ct bag of pipe cleaners. I keep meaning to add some lead shot to the bottom of one to make it more stable.

If I hadn't started collecting tins I may never have learned that Half and Half was originally a mixture of Lucky Strike burley and Bagley's Buckingham Bright Cut Plug. (Like in tha first pic I posted here)

Plus it came in these neat little telescoping tins. In case you only wanted the "Half" of it. :p

Now that is an attractive tin made all the more attractive by an attractive pipe.

Gentlemen, this has been an incredibly interesting thread! Being new to pipes I was unaware of the wealth of history and culture that could be enjoyed through the collection of old tobacco tins. This would be a fun addition to the collection of the pipes themselves. I feel some antique shop visits coming when I return home...

George Kaplan":613i72gl said:
If I hadn't started collecting tins I may never have learned that Half and Half was originally a mixture of Lucky Strike burley and Bagley's Buckingham Bright Cut Plug. (Like in tha first pic I posted here)

Huh . . . learn something new every day! Now you just have to find some Bagley's :D

Sean68":uwa5jgj0 said:
...This would be a fun addition to the collection of the pipes themselves. I feel some antique shop visits coming when I return home...
Antique shops are usually your best bet for finding bargains on these, especially if you just want a few for decorating your man cave, rather than building a complete set of rarities. Any Bagley tins on ebay usually sell for $50-$150, but I don't think I've ever payed more than $5 for one of mine.
On a side note (with a short history lesson thrown in), some of you may know that my real name is, in fact, George K. Bagley. The Bagley Tobacco Company was founded in Detroit by a distant relation of mine, John J. Bagley, who later became a police commissioner, an alderman of Detroit, helped found the republican party, and served as Governor of Michigan from 1873 to 1877.
He began his career at age 15 as an apprentice with the Mayflower Tobacco Company in Detroit. 7 years later he bought them out and eventually turned his company into an industry leader. Surprisingly, Detroit was a major player in the tobacco business at the time. A lot of quality leaf actually came from the fields of southern Ontario, just across the river.

George Kaplan":8yjyrbip said:
George Kaplan":8yjyrbip said:
Ten cents for a pocket tin?!! How dare they flay us with these prices! I'm sending a telegram to congress right now!
Before you know it, they'll be raising the price of petroleum distillate for my horseless carriage. Boy! fetch me my "yelling whiskey"!
My vote for quote of the year.

/"yelling whiskey"
/HAH!

If anyone ever sees another Half & Half tin for sale, PM me a note please.I am not interested in collecting tins but anything Half & Half is sentimental to me because of my great-grandfather.

This is a cool tin you have George.

y04210.jpg

Bobostro61":qr1yfdod said:
I haven't been smoking a pipe long enough to have any old tins... :roll:
Me neither. But if you are interested in collecting or just picking up some cool decorations for the man cave you can get some for pretty cheap at antique malls or ebay.