Wardrobe Up to Snuff?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Burley

Reaction score
Ever been in a quandary over what to wear at your next board meeting? I have. I cry in my pillow all night, wondering if my attire will make a good impression at the next meeting, and aid in the illusion that I know what I'm doing there.

Rising to speak one time, I remember, I had hardly got a word out before I detected snickering in my audience. I had been drinking a bit and initially thought I was slurring my words, but alas, it was worse than that. My fly was down and more or less wide open. I didn't want to zip up in front of everyone, so I bolted for the door, tripping over my pants which had somehow loosened and fallen around my ankles. You can imagine my embarrassment!

Well, something needed to be done to prevent that from ever happening again. I have a position to maintain, often speaking with captains of industry and heads of state, to say nothing of famous tobacconists and bordello managers. I found this really neato tailor in town who makes these here suits. Yes, I bought two just like this. You can see why for yourself. Hope this creates an impression:

Needs more sensible footwear, those heels will be torture after a long day.

I think that's sort of cool and interesting. It isn't for me, but I can appreciate it on a few levels. I like that little added detail of the stripes on the socks/leggings. It's also interesting that they could have chosen more androgynous models, to "match" the clothing bending, but they didn't, which I assume was to bend it even more and keep the scheme as majority masculine. I don't believe it was all that long ago, historically speaking, that both boys and girls were dressed in "skirts". Smart and practical. Cuts way down on the amount of work that would have to go into making a piece of clothing. And of course, we still have representation today in kilts and various African and jungle tribes.

Goodness me.

Not sure I'd get past the doorman at the club for discerning young gentleman that I frequent on an afternoon. That tie is simply outrageous ;)

Stick, why do I think those two are moonlighting airmen? :D

Adam

My wardrobe consists of bluejeans, t-shirts, and sweat shirts. Yeah, I have a couple of suits, a navy blue one for funerals, and a grey striped one for whenever, but they are collecting dust in the closet! :oops: :)

... I also believe Matelots have a penchant for similar attire. I remember being at a beer call on the DC and was amused to see how much beer and, amongst other things, lingerie, could be stowed in the smallest of recesses... :lol!:

Stick":shjvz0ja said:
... I also believe Matelots have a penchant for similar attire. I remember being at a beer call on the DC and was amused to see how much beer and, amongst other things, lingerie, could be stowed in the smallest of recesses... :lol!:
Am assuming that the DC was the Dumbarton Castle. Very fitting therefore that she now belongs to the Bangledesh Navy as BNS Bijoy :lol!:

alandadp":4mlqk5l3 said:
Stick":4mlqk5l3 said:
Am assuming that the DC was the Dumbarton Castle. Very fitting therefore that she now belongs to the Bangledesh Navy as BNS Bijoy :lol!:
Ha!  Now that's funny!!!  Yup, the Dumbarton Castle.  Now re-commissioned as the Bi Joy!  :lol!:

It does however appear that I've been rumbled...

Talking of such shenanigans, it reminds me of an exped to Canada back in '06.  We spent 10 or so days paddling down the Petawawa in the Algonquin.  Really exciting stuff and a true adventure.  We then spent a few nights in Toronto where, as is so often the case, one of the chaps started with 'I've got a great idea...'

A few hours later we're in the Sky Dome watching the Blue Jays play and we're all dressed as old ladies; dresses, earrings, handbags, heels, the full works.  Funniest memory is going to the gents to see 6 'old ladies' stood at the urinals hitching up their dresses and all taking a pee.  We became instant hits and, rather worryingly, were televised live across Canada.  Not too sure how we avoided a diplomatic incident that night but we all made it back to Blighty unscathed.  Yup, can't beat a spot of cross dressing once in a while ;)

Stick":mixuotbr said:
alandadp":mixuotbr said:
Stick":mixuotbr said:
Ha!  Now that's funny!!!  Yup, the Dumbarton Castle.  Now re-commissioned as the Bi Joy!  :lol!:

Talking of such shenanigans, it reminds me of an exped to Canada back in '06.  We spent 10 or so days paddling down the Petawawa in the Algonquin.  Really exciting stuff and a true adventure.  We then spent a few nights in Toronto where, as is so often the case, one of the chaps started with 'I've got a great idea...'

A few hours later we're in the Sky Dome watching the Blue Jays play and we're all dressed as old ladies; dresses, earrings, handbags, heels, the full works.  Funniest memory is going to the gents to see 6 'old ladies' stood at the urinals hitching up their dresses and all taking a pee.  We became instant hits and, rather worryingly, were televised live across Canada.  Not too sure how we avoided a diplomatic incident that night but we all made it back to Blighty unscathed.  Yup, can't beat a spot of cross dressing once in a while ;)
Yikes! Say it ain't so mate!! :shock:

Must've had a good few jars to get you lot on such a lark!

;)

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":7uvj2v2z said:
Stick":7uvj2v2z said:
alandadp":7uvj2v2z said:
Stick":7uvj2v2z said:

Yikes! Say it ain't so mate!!  :shock:

Must've had a good few jars to get you lot on such a lark!

;)

Cheers,

RR
I'm afraid Rande, it is so. In my defence we did have one or two jars. Or maybe 6. Or was it a few more... I can't remember. Whatever. ;)

Loved Toronto though! Got to see Niagra... mixed feelings there. And the Algonquin was simply stunning.

Simply don't get the appeal of dressing like a woman. Being 1/4 Scottish heritage I have toyed with the option of wearing a kilt but that isn't dressing like a woman. My attire generally is jeans, boots, and tshirt, denim or flannel shirt depending on the weather. For "dress up" it's pressed jeans, a nice shirt, ostrich boots, and corduroy sport coat. Dress here in Prescott is pretty casual. LOL.

Knock wood that I’ve maintained weight so I still have a suit for weddings/funerals and two coats that fit! Acquiring a long desired Castello pocket square was the highlight of my fashion year.