Was dragged to a Veteran's day gig and cringed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
Yup. Got talked into a day away from the forest to a 'shindig' for Vets. As I have been alone for some time now, I thought it best to step out and spend some time with the peoples.....

Ugh. Where do folks find this stuff? This is sooooo long ago, even I can hardly remember...

And who took this picture? Whichever SWMBO should have made me look taller at least...

Nope, that was the one they had of me. I was too cool for school those days.... You know, uniform, shades, a nice pipe..... Oh man, those were the days......

That's a great photo Bob, a great one for your wall. What year was that and where was it taken? I'm guessing by your generally relaxed look (shades and pipe!) you were on exercise somewhere?

Stick, it looks like I'm wearing a T-10 chute, probably a static line pull. Judging by the background I would guess probably Fort Bragg, North Carolina.....

Sorry, had to edit. Because of the hardware I'm wearing I'm guessing the shot was taken in the 80's?

it is a t10 24 diameter chest reserve assembly emergency chute I know this as i have some good friends in the marine corp raiders. not that that means a damn think they are all 90 or dead now but i know LtCol Evans F. Carlson
daughter and well not that it means a thing they told me about them t 10s
oh well

great pic wiz hope u enjoy remembering the days of old

OW, that's a good picture to frame as mentioned. Something to be proud of for sure.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

quote "And who took this picture? Whichever SWMBO should have made me look taller at least..."

that's what happens when you jump out of airplanes!

Ozark Wizard":2j6k03l2 said:
Yup. Got talked into a day away from the forest to a 'shindig' for Vets. As I have been alone for some time now, I thought it best to step out and spend some time with the peoples.....

Ugh. Where do folks find this stuff? This is sooooo long ago, even I can hardly remember...

And who took this picture? Whichever SWMBO should have made me look taller at least...

By golly, what a handsome young man you are in that pic Ozzie. Studly, even! And that pipe along with the smile just puts it all together. You look like the cat that got the cream!

Who knew we had such a photogenic guy in our midst!

:king:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":ofmnzbxn said:
Ozark Wizard":ofmnzbxn said:
:fpalm:

Yah, guess I clean up well enough. No gray back then either....
So I have to ask, do you remember what the pipe was?

:alien:

Cheers,

RR
I'll have to dig it out of my trunk of memorabilia. I don't recall it having any markings on it though. Other than my teeth............ :lol!:

Great photo Wiz! Airborne USASOC PSYOPS? You got a short tab hiding under that strap too? :) I almost ended up with the 160th SOAR, but my 1SG at the time talked some sense into me. I decided it would be best to let the younger chitlins be all high speed hooah hooah instead LOL

I always hated my static line jumps. My two malfunctions that resulted in severe injure were static line jumps. Give me my mc-4 and 35k and i am a happy jumper. Oh well thats all over now, but some great memories. What group were you with? Its hard to see the patch, but i am assuming its our sf patch and not socom patch.

tarheel7734":0lmzujak said:
Its hard to see the patch, but i am assuming its our sf patch and not socom patch.
Pretty sure your right TH...can't see the lightning bolts, but looking closer at the bottom of the spear tip, the curve isn't as pronounced as it is on the USASOC tip. So, maybe a short AND a long tab are hiding under that strap!

nismo270r":ad2xrpyo said:
tarheel7734":ad2xrpyo said:
Its hard to see the patch, but i am assuming its our sf patch and not socom patch.
Pretty sure your right TH...can't see the lightning bolts, but looking closer at the bottom of the spear tip, the curve isn't as pronounced as it is on the USASOC tip. So, maybe a short AND a long tab are hiding under that strap!
It does look like there might be a triple canopy there. The long tab looks too far apart from the airborn tab above the unit patch. Its just an old photo and hard to tell. Beret doesnt have the usual flash, so I originally thought foreign soldier attached, but in my time when we had the brits attached to our group for training for some time, they still wore their uniforms and we wore ours when we were cross training with different units. Things change so much over the years in sf, so anything is possible.

tarheel7734":s0t4axvm said:
nismo270r":s0t4axvm said:
tarheel7734":s0t4axvm said:
It does look like there might be a triple canopy there. The long tab looks too far apart from the airborn tab above the unit patch. Its just an old photo and hard to tell. Beret doesnt have the usual flash, so I originally thought foreign soldier attached, but in my time when we had the brits attached to our group for training for some time, they still wore their uniforms and we wore ours when we were cross training with different units. Things change so much over the years in sf, so anything is possible.
Something like that...... ;)

Looks like you found your pipe. I still haven't braved the storm shelter to find mine. Assuming I still have it!