Watch City's Xmas blend...by Ozark Wizard!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2386
  • Start date
Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 2386

Now this is seriously cool--our own Ozark Wizard created this year's holiday blend for Watch City Cigars! Way to go, Ozzie, can't wait to try this!

There's a fellow in the Ozarks of Missouri who is a master at making smooth as silk blends with components that normally would be considered harsh by some. He's a "Tamer of Badgers" of sorts. We call him the "Ozark Wizard...OZ for short. He Kindly gave us this recipe for our Christmas Blend.

"Spill'sbane" is a blend that defies categorization. It starts off with our "Simply Red", and OZ added Matured Red Virginia and Red Virginia Cavendish to form the base. A not so small measure of Dark Fired Kentucky is added and then the blend is spiced both with a bit of Perique and Cigar Leaf...there's acouple other components but we're not gonna tell you because there's got to be a little mystery here, folks. .  After a couple of "Hocus Pocus Hoodoo spells" and some aging, the result is a true melange that harmonizes all the components into a blend that is smooth on the tongue with smokey undertones. Perhaps still the bane of those who detest Dark Fired tobacco, but then again, perhaps not. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Now that sounds interesting. Hadn't been aware our own Ozzie had been in collaboration for a blend, but there again his wizardry in producing tasty blends is not unknown!

I take it a "unit" on that website is an ounce?

Cheers,

RR

Fight'n Hampsters":ule5rbd0 said:
cool! with all the mystery, does anyone know if it has any latakia?
Just got mine in the mail today, my olfactory isn't as developed as some but I don't THINK I smell any.

No Latakia. The DFK gives it a slight suggestion of smokiness. The cigar leaf cuts the sharpness usually associated with the DFK.

I was fortunate to get a very generous sample of this recently from our own Wiz, and have to say it's one fine blend. Been trying it out in several pipes and it seems to do well in any of them.

Not a sweet blend to my taste but there's plenty of good honest straight forward tobacco flavor. And the ribbon cut and moisture level makes it easy to pack and stay lit.

You have a winner there Ozzie!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Glad you like it! Ernie did a great job on the production. I smoke plenty of it through the week. Like Brewdude said, good old tobacco flavour.

The Oz man sent me a sampling of one of his blends back in February and if was the bomb. The stuff was awesome. I smoked it up quick. Kinda like a crackhead with a couple $20 rocks burning a hole in his pocket.

Here's my review of it:

The various red Virginias offer a lot of tangy ripe dark fruit, earth and wood, some sugary stewed dark fruit, light tart citrus and grass, bread, hints of floralness, spice, vinegar and acid as the lead components, though they mostly tend to be teammates to the other tobaccos. The very tangy citrusy, lightly grassy, slightly floral and honey-ish bright Virginia is an important supporting player by percentage, but its effect is often challenged by the cigar leaf and especially the dark fired Kentucky. The aspects of the latter are light spice and floralness, wood, earth, nuts, a little dry sourness, and a touch of smoke. The Kentucky has a strong enough presence that it leaps over the bright Virginia for attention at times by a small margin. The same can be said about the earthy, woody, musty, floral, cedary and vegetative, lightly peppery, herbal, mildly sour, tartly citrus cigar leaf. It occasionally competes with and always compliments the other varietals. The raisiny, plumy, figgy, spicy perique is a little more than being an ever present condiment. I notice the spice less than its other attributes. The strength is a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium. The taste is a rung past that, and doesn’t quite reach the medium threshold. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, and has very few rough edges. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable rate with a fairly consistent, very complex, moderately sweet, mildly savory flavor that translates to the lightly lingering after taste. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Can be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars out of four.

Wow! I’d call JimInks review pretty dang stellar. He makes Ozzie’s blend sound active & exciting with some of the most beloved pipe flavors & aspects weaving in and out. If you like a solidly complex VA blend, this would absolutely be one to try.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: