Watch out when posting

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Something very nasty going on, here. Browser related, or bb software, I don't know, but twice is enough for me.

Compose, click the "preview" button, and the live screen you are working on then treats your keyboard's "character delete" key as a delete of the ENTIRE ENTRY BOX.

A half hour's worth of typing lost last night, and the same amount again just now. Back arrows, history, etc., nothing recovers what you were typing.

No way to instantly train yourself to not touch a key you use routinely, either.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

jhuggett":6grsvokr said:
I don't know... sounds like a Mac problem to me. :twisted:
Helluva coincidence that it just started when this board came up, and has only happened here too, then... HELL of a coincidence. :affraid:

Actually, you don't have to do the "Preview" thing at all. Apparently, when you're not actively in the edit window (meaning that it's highlighted), the delete key is mapped to some function that takes you back to the thread, and your page is lost. Clicking the forward arrow takes you back to the edit screen, but you're text is, in fact, gone. Worse, it's not in the clipboard, so you're out of luch...

Further, ANY time you leave the compose page, by clicking on the profile link, for instance, whatever you typed in the window will not persist, so when you use the back arrow to return to the compose screen, you'll have lost whatever you'd typed. There may be a global setting for this behaviour somewhere in the setup of the app's configuration. If there is, I'm sure J can make it more friendly.

This doesn't SEEM to be browser related, but a "feature" of the web app in its current configuration.

I can't recreate the problem on any of my windows/linux machines but maybe I'm not getting it. I previewed a message then hit Delete and nothing happens. I tried both right and left arrows and nothing happened. The up and down arrows scroll my window but that should happen.

This version of phpBB does have a more advanced editor that I suppose could do some keyboard mapping but it seems like a bad idea to map the delete key to go back a page on a text editor. It's a pretty important key. :lol:

Are you guys using Safari or Firefox?

Are you having the same problem Carlos?

Basically here's my initial theory after doing some playing around. Like Greg mentioned if you lose focus on the text area this will occur. Meaning your cursor is not in the text box. The reason being is because of mapped keyboard shortcuts that are browser specific but that should happen on any site.

As you can see from the following link Safari does map the Delete key to Go Back.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42951

Where as Firefox has it mapped to the Backspace key, which is just as much of a problem if you are out of the text box and hitting keys.
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard

Now having said all that phpBB3 (our current version) is still not considered stable (it's on release candidate 8 if you can believe that) so there may be some bugs in the code that is causing things like losing focus and what not. I'm also having some problems on the back end with things not working the way they are supposed work. If it continues I may change back over to the stable version of phpBB2 (same as Knox). We may lose some features for the time being but the trade off my well be worth it.

Let's see if this fixes the problem. If it does that we'll keep with this version and I'll start working on the layout again.

Whenever I make a post, just to be on the safe side, I copy what I just typed *just in case*. If something hinky happens and I lose it before it posts, all I gotta do is ctrl+v and I'm back in business.

jhuggett":0x2gfzy2 said:
I don't know... sounds like a Mac problem to me. :twisted:
Jason:

Actually, I think you're partly right. I'm running OS X 10.4.11, and if I click out of a text entry field on a "Post a reply" page on this BB, it's the functional equivalent of hitting the "Back" button. Clicking on the "Forward" button returns me to the "Post a reply" page. It works that way in every browser I've tried except Mozilla Navigator v1.7.13; for some reason, the Delete key is not mapped to the "Back" function in that browser (but if you hit the "Back" button, you'll still lose your text, when you return to the page. :cry:

LL, Gregorio:

The fact that you're losing your text when you come back to the page after unintentionally going "Back" by hitting the Delete key is probably specific to your browser, or at least to the way your browser preferences are set. In several browsers, I've tried typing in the subject line and message body text boxes, clicking out of them to disable the text entry cursor, then hitting the Delete key, and then the Forward button to return to the "Post a reply" page. For the following browsers, my text is still there when I come back, which means the browser has cached the entire page and any text I've entered, and it's reloading it from my cache, not from the site:
  • Safari - v3.0.4
  • Shiira - v2.2 (build 070718)
For the following browsers—all of which are built on the Mozilla 1.8 trunk—any text I have entered is gone when I come back:
  • SeaMonkey Navigator - v1.1.7
  • Mozilla Navigator - v1.1.19
  • Firefox - v2.0.0.11
  • Camino - v1.5.4
If there's a preferences setting that will force the browser to cache the text I enter and reload it on any of those apps, I haven't found it yet.

There are a couple of workarounds, though. If you Preview the message before you've hit the Delete key, then the browser will load the preview into a cache. When you return to the page after hitting the Delete key, you'll get a prompt asking whether you want to reload the page from the last cached version (the one you last Previewed). Click "OK". It won't recover any text you might have typed since the last time you clicked "Preview", but it will at least keep you from losing everything, and it does load the saved Preview content into message body text entry pane.

For my part, I use the embedded composer only when I write short messages. Scrolling is a pain when I write long messages, and the text isn't particularly easy to read in the text entry pane...especially now that we're back to using the older version of phpBB. I usually just compose my messages in TextEdit, because I save them to my local directory anyway. If I have a lot of BBcode to enter, I might do that in the embedded composer (highlighting the affected text and clicking the formatting buttons is easy, but even there, if I have to do a lot of scrolling, I'll usually just enter the BBcode manually as I compose the message. The problem with the embedded composer is that the sumbitch won't stay scrolled. Every time you make a formatting change, the #@!%&)? piece o' crap snaps back to the top of the text entry field. Grrrrrr... :evil: :x What moron designed that?! Ditto for the emoticons insertion function. No matter where the cursor is, the friggin thing always inserts at the end of the message. Stoopid.

Anyhow, composing the post in TextEdit is my solution, and then I copy and paste into the "Post a reply page". In that way, I can increase the font size to one I can easily see, and still control the page size so I can see more than the relatively small space provided by the doggone embedded composer. I've never been very comfortable working in a browser window anyway. Seems too volatile a platform for anything I want to keep for me to entrust my work to it.

Vito :joker:

We need an apple emotiguy.

A "helluva coincidental" apple emotiguy.

The Pipins are messin with ewe L.

tj

Nope. No problems here. This new layout is much speedier.

We have noticed that on other forums using this software. Some of the themes lose things, or features fail to work. etc etc.