Watches

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jonnylaw13":l4rba2ht said:
Key words.. Panatime, Hadley-Roma, NATO, ETA... Man you are way more hooked then you realize!
Yeah -he just needed a little nudge in the right direction!  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

Mozjo33":p8oahaa8 said:
jonnylaw13":p8oahaa8 said:
Key words.. Panatime, Hadley-Roma, NATO, ETA... Man you are way more hooked then you realize!
Yeah -he just needed a little nudge in the right direction!  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 
in that case *cough* www.shophq.com *cough* yep, I think that'll do the trick!

Well now I need a winder... :roll: 

Belocia is the front runner right now, but if I can find a good deal on a Wolf or Orbita, then maybe I'll snap one up.

The only problem with owning multiple automatic watches is that a good watch winder will cost you as much as a nice watch! I have a Steinhausen dual winder; they are not cheap (at least to me; around $700 list on their website); luckily I got it for free. It does wind the watches but it's noisy as hell.

Well, looks like the bug has struck again and I'm getting another Steinhart:

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/OCEAN-One-Premium-Blue,902.html :cheers:

533351222O1-Premium_Blue_01.jpg

I'm upgrading to the big leagues guys! IWC Pilot Chrono 3777 (new for 2015) @ 43mm. It's not a true in-house movement, but can't go wrong with a 7750 base! :face:

By the way, if anyone is interested in a Steinhart Ocean 1 Black (ceramic), Ocean 1 Blue Premium, or Stowa Marine Chrono, PM me. :p

610023722ocean_blk_01.jpg

533351222O1-Premium_Blue_01.jpg

MarineSilberDatA10_LBschwar.jpg" style="width: 350px;height: 350px

Wow, lovin BoB!

Great thread!

I've been a watch nut for years.  With the exception of a few watches I received as gifts, all of my time pieces are vintage, antique or otherwise "estate" watches  ;)

Started pickin up old Gruen's, Waltham's, Whitenhaur's and others decades ago @ pawn shops and estate sales.

My daily watch is a vintage Rolex I picked up from a buddy that buys up old watch and jewelry stores that close up or are being liquidated as a result of the owner passing away.

The Rolex is an old 60's Oysterdate Precision that was picked up a bout 10 years ago.  It was Old Stock New in Box.  Somewhere along the line the band disappeared.  It's a very simple Stainless with Gold Bezel and black dial.  It's not a perpetual, nor is it a quartz.  It's an honest to goodness "wind-up" watch sportin a brown Croc band.

As soon as I burn off the "Noob probation time" I'll post a pic.

My dress watch is a Clare.  Solid gold with a white porcelain dial and black croc band.

dino

That's a nice early Oysterdate ya got there!! :twisted: The finest Rolex I have is a 1956 Day/Date on a Factory Alligator strap. :

I do not often wear a watch anymore. Being retired, it's just not required. But I do have a Fossil Titanium. The titanium does not break me out.

But if I ever had the extra cash, and felt like I needed to indulge. I would get one of these. With assurances that it would not break me out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UwpP_s8LV_Y" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

monbla256":7d9negr6 said:
That's a nice early Oysterdate ya got there!! :twisted:  The finest Rolex I have is a 1956 Day/Date on a Factory Alligator strap. :

Absolutely gorgeous timepiece there monblo. I much prefer the simple unadorned elegance of these vs the the ones encrusted in diamonds or that are the size of pocket watches.

Less is more.

Carlos said:
I do not often wear a watch anymore.  Being retired, it's just not required.  But I do have a Fossil Titanium.  The titanium does not break me out.  

But if I ever had the extra cash, and felt like I needed to indulge.  I would get one of these.  With assurances that it would not break me out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UwpP_s8LV_Y" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>[/quote

It's funny Carlos. Out of 6 guys in my office, I'm the only one that wears a watch. Heck I'm not even the oldest guy there (admittedly by a couple of weeks) but everyone else is dependent on their smart phones.

I on the other hand love a clean, elegant time piece. I have a great appreciation and respect for the craftsmanship and engineering that went into the design and construction of something that can keep reasonably accurate time, all without the aid of a chip or a quartz crystal.

As to the watches in the video.... Hubba, hubba. :cheers:

What's with watches being so large nowadays? For both sexes. Or three. Whatever. Just my opinion, if that needs to be said, but they look goofy. Even Rolex has jumped up the size of its Explorer from 36 to 39mm. And that's small by today's standards. Give me a mere Cartier tank watch, I say, and I'll be happy. (PM me if interested.)

What's that? You're a deep sea diver? Or blind? Well, OK. (Just joking. Hey, I sympathize. I once had a Sea-Dweller during my lunatic years. No idea why.)

I bought a Seiko SKX009 Pepsi, but had a lot of trouble with it.  I finally sent it back to the ebay seller, who put in a new movement.

In the meantime, I found this Borealis Seafarer at new Watchuseek forums, new from a big forum seller in NJ.  It has a good Miyota hacking movement in it (nee Citizen) and it will hopefully be the last watch I buy.  It came with this bracelet, but I use a rubber deployment strap in the summer.  She's good to 13,142 feet (4000 meters) which is exactly 13,130 feet more than I ever hope to go on purpose...

I didn't need two divers, so the son-in-law was gifted the Seiko.

Puff Daddy, that's one fine 6309 Seiko Divers especially on the Jubilee bracelet!!

Mines on an Oyster style bracelet but my watches I used to dive with were on nylon Zulu style straps like this 7002-7009 which was my last diving watch I was using when I stopped diving back in 1990 :