water

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Not looking to get political, though it can't be totally avoided. I didn't know how thirsty almond growth is. These are from Bill Maher last night, and I haven't bothered to check them. He doesn't usually fudge the numbers, though. I do not live in the West.

9.8 gallons of water to grow 1LB of strawberries
10.8 gallons of water to grow 1LB of tomatoes
12.2 gallons of water to grow 1LB of oranges
1900 gallons of water to grow 1LB of almonds

And since the beginning of the drought in California (cannot remember the year they're attributing to the beginning of this drought), the number of almond growers has doubled. A couple other numbers: 80% of water use in California is for agriculture, while it accounts for only <2% of total California economy.

full piece here:

and then the South is drowning in water. I feel terrible for both regions and am truly grateful I live in neither. I like to shower a lot, and flooding freaks me out.

When Bill is "on," he is really on!!! California used to be the ''land of milk and honey!" Now it's just "fruits and nuts!!"I lived there way back when; loved the place. Now, don't even want to visit!! FTRPLT

9.8 gallons of water to grow 1LB of strawberries
10.8 gallons of water to grow 1LB of tomatoes
12.2 gallons of water to grow 1LB of oranges
1900 gallons of water to grow 1LB of almonds
Of the four in the example only almonds grow on trees and I expect for a tree to flourish it must take more water than strawberries.

Back in ancient times the Romans built aquaducts. We have states that routinely experience flooding. With our current technology why can't we build "water" pipelines to take this overflow to the drought stricken states? Just a thought.

Water is under state's control, not federal. Solving the political problems is probably insurmountable. Neither the federal government, nor most states, have developed a proper water use policy. Canada has a national policy concerning the Great Lakes and protecting their water rights from their greedy neighbors to the south. For those out west in severe drought areas, daily conservation is key.

Of the four in the example only almonds grow on trees and I expect for a tree to flourish it must take more water than strawberries.
I think I heard somewhere that in Italy, they developed a technique of watering the roots directly rather than running sprinklers over the entire area. Some kind of tapping into the roots and dripping into them? The Italian almond growers, that is.

My dad used, and I had one for a long time, a "ground penetrator" watering device such as Zeno discussed. Simply a long copper (I think!) tube with a pointed end that can be pushed into the ground next to a tree/bush. There is a hole/holes toward the bottom the tube allowing the water to shoot out into the soil below the plant. The top of the tube has a water spigot attachment to connect to a hose; turn on water (slowly) to wet the roots. Drip irrigation works well also.
Carlos' comments are spot on concerning us south of the Canadian border. The "we have a right to all the water we want/need" is prevalent and totally BS!! Rant over!! FTRPLT