Waxing Meers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobx

Reaction score
Here's a short video of how I wax my meers. I use the brush-on method. I've been resurrecting meers from antique shops and thrift stores for 6 years now. Sometimes it's worth it if they're cheap enough. The worst one someone had stripped out the threads in the shank so he used elmers glue to glue the push-pull connector in. I didn't realize that until after I got it home. I was sort of disappointed since it was a very nice carved hand holding a rose by Bekler. Since you can't re-cut threads in a meer shank, I was able to rescue it and make it a nice pipe. I bored out the old threrads with a tool I made (drill bits are too coarse, will bust the shank) and had by buddy 3D print a larger diameter push-pull connector. SUCCESS!

Beautiful. I have a few meerschaums and have never done anything to them. I smoke 'em and wipe out the bowl.
That'll work. I've found the regular waxing every 6 months or so will really bring out the colors. I've bought some at antique shops that had color-faded to a real ugly grey. When I waxed them rich browns and dark reds came out. I've learned as they dry out from not re-waxing often the colors will recede back into the stone. This one I found at an antique store and the stem was that "old gray" color. A couple waxings and the stem came out to a rich brown and red. The photo doesn't do it justice.
Pipe.jpg

Those look great! I've tried all the tricks I've read about on my one meer: coloring wax, smoking it in a bag, et al. Never did help the coloring, but I must admit I don't smoke it very often. I finally gave up trying to color it. I don't know that it's a particularly good one but a buddy brought it back for me from Turkey...

EIQaCX8l.jpg

Eww! Need to dust!