Week 1

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhuggett

Reaction score
Well it's been just a week since BoB opened it's doors and so far it seems to be going well.

We have 33 members that represent an amazing amount of knowledge and experience. Many of which make the products that we on the user end so much enjoy.

We've already crossed the 1000 post count. So we're a talkative bunch. :D

Here's to all you guys that have contributed and started this off in the right direction. I have quite a few ideas on how the site may give back to the community in the future so I hope we continue on our current track.

Thanks to everyone!

JH, Great job so far. There is at least to me a true sense of Brotherhood here. Like I said before, "if we all lived in the same town it would be one hell of a club." Through some more coal on the fire! Full steam ahead!

Have you thought about how the Knox Board will be affected when it's major posters are all here? Will you continue to invite the occasional posters here, advertise on other sites for more members, notify Knox, etc.?

CP":ysl9qfsm said:
Have you thought about how the Knox Board will be affected when it's major posters are all here? Will you continue to invite the occasional posters here, advertise on other sites for more members, notify Knox, etc.?
You do no business with Knox. I don't understand your questions.

I have done a lot of the inviting.

Don't hide behind "You."

"YOU" are being sanctimonious!

I am not hiding. I asked the questions in public and there was no hidden meaning in them, certainly no criticism. You don't understand them but take a negative attitude about them. That says more about you than it ever could about me.

I am not concerned about Knox's business but about the few posters who will remain on the board and wonder why some of us have disappeared.

I am not concerned about Knox's business but about the few posters who will remain on the board and wonder why some of us have disappeared.

There has been a thread there entitled something like "Where did everybody go ?" for a while now. I just checked and their site's down again so I don't know for sure. But I would be very surprised if there were an answer by you posted there. Which, if you were concerned about them, would be the first thing you'd do.

And if I'm wrong on this, and you have done the helpful communication you're talking about, then shame on me for suspecting the worst of your motive in posting this.

:face:

Yak, I have not been able to access the Knox BB but once in the last week, and have given up on it. Could not get on this board for several days--I was number 28--so wondered if the early guys had thought about it.

As I told you a couple days ago in a response to a PM you sent me, I have notified about 50 people thus far and will continue to do so as I have the time. Others here are inviting folks too, feel free to do so if you like. Most of the fellows you asked about specifically have in fact been invited. I started on the Knox board and will invite others from other boards as time permits.

CP":pulgnxmf said:
Yak, I have not been able to access the Knox BB but once in the last week, and have given up on it. Could not get on this board for several days--I was number 28--so wondered if the early guys had thought about it.
Bullshit! It has been up many times in the last week.

But, if I am wrong here, then I do apologise.

In the meantime, you could go to Knox and notify the few that we unkindly ignored. If you still have problems logging on to Knox, you could pm a list of names to me here and I will do it. I'll even give you the well deserved public aknowledgement for doing so.

Final note,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the "early guys" were very thoughtful and didn't miss a thing.

tj,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,back in the no bullshit zone.

Your apology is accepted. Only I know how many times I was able to access the Knox BB, and it would be good to be taken at my word instead of being accused incorrectly.

If I knew what the early guys had done here, I would not have raised the questions. Only Yak and PD really answered one of them, but I am getting accustomed to being misunderstood. Maybe I should be more careful with my words as I was just expressing some concern. If their board dries up, Knox may even consider killing it to save the bandwidth.

CP":9ofu4k7a said:
CP:

I never had any intention of abandoning the Knox BB when I first registered as a member here. I didn't really know what would happen, but I've come to realize that my own time is so limited that it's really not practical to spread myself too thin between two venues. Most of the actively posting KCC brethren are already here, and the others will find their way if they are so inclined.

As to the effect of that migration on the Knox board, all you have to do it visit and peruse the forums to find the answer to that question. There's not much happening. I know that accessibility is sporadic, and I understand why you'd finally give up. For my part, the only time I haven't been able to get in was this past Sunday, but that's probably just the luck of the draw.

I occasionally log in to see who's posting, and if there's someone I want to invite I do so with a PM or an e-mail. I've assumed others are doing the same, and posts in this thread have corroborated that assumption.

As for the other aspects of your inquiry, they're outside my purview. I focus on participation in the community, not its expansion. I suspect that if we dedicate ourselves to keeping the quality high, people of like mind will find their way here anyway, by one means or another. I'm not sure what's behind your "notify Knox" query. Notify Knox of what? That another BB exists? To what end?

Vito :joker:

I have loyalty to the Knox Board having been a member there for so long but not to the extent of playing ball with only a shortstop.

Given that loyalty I called Steven Hittenger early this week and let him know what has happened. He said that his email had been down for awhile, and I take it that those of you were locked out had complained to him via email, email he never received. He said mine was the first phone call he'd gotten about this transition. If I can't reach someone via email I phone, and I'm surprised that no one else had called.

He listed three things as to the reason why access has been denied to so many members for so long; but I will leave it to him to make his own response.

Mile, Steve had more than that, I called and talked to him twice and got the impression that I wasn't the first and there had been a few others. It sure made me think about them. It just may be time for them to think about what they really want to do. I also have feelings about them, I was there since the second day.

I've posted to as many as four different pipe boards at one time.Alt.smokers.pipes has become over run w/ anti smoking propaganda.I go weeks on end and don't so much as give it a passing glance.My-Pipes Community is great,but it lacks the traffic that's needed to make a board "a must see everyday".I can check in there once or twice a week and really not miss much.I do imagine that it will grow over time and be a truly viable board.The people are great and it's a very close knit little group over there.Knoxville was great too but now it's hard to log on all the time as they continue to experience technical problems.Also,most of the folks who's posts I read there are now here. I suppose I'll call this home for a while...

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

regor, thanks for the info on communication with Steven; puts this new board in an entirely different light.

Do you realize it's only you, bigjp very occasionally, and me that are left from the old days? Personally I prefer this new crowd even though old members were so kind as to answer my many, many questions.

The new crowd knows a lot more than we did back then lol. I do like this new place and look forward to all the posts that will come up. :cheers: :cyclops: :lol: