Weight Loss

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I'm only 5'7" and shrinking in height. For most of my adult life I weighed about 160 lbs. In my 20s, early 30s, I was able to keep my weight between 145 and 150 lbs. The weight gain started in my 40s and stabilized at 160 lbs. for a couple of decades. At age 60, I began ro gain about a pound every year. At 75, my weight had climbed to 185 and I began to be more careful with what I ate and how much and often. This morning I'm at 174, but really have been working at getting back to 160 lbs. It isn't easy. My body seems to like the low 170s. According to several online calculators, I could consume 2000 calories per day until 12/31/2022 and reach 160 lbs. If I consumed 2000 calories per day until 12/31/2022, I know I'd be up to at least 185.

My knees are asking me to lose the weight.

For over 40 years I stayed between 200/205. Being 6', 1.5" that was a good wt. for me. When I turned 70 ballooned up to 235. Now back down to 218 and trying to get back to 200. Really hard at this age. To lose wt I have to stay under 1000 calories a day, not the prescribed 2100.

To lose wt I have to stay under 1000 calories a day, not the prescribed 2100.
Yup, I've had some successful weight loss when I've restricted my intake to four Lean Cuisines a day, each 300 calories or less, along with a substantial salad with only apple cider vinegar as a dressing. The Lean Cuisines are not particularly healthy because most have a high salt content.

Yup, I've had some successful weight loss when I've restricted my intake to four Lean Cuisines a day, each 300 calories or less, along with a substantial salad with only apple cider vinegar as a dressing. The Lean Cuisines are not particularly healthy because most have a high salt content.
And carbs. Plus they are processed so not the healthiest but for short term they do work.

I feel for you knees, RSteve. I'm lucky only my wardrobe and sewing machine are complaining about my weight gain. The chemo seemed to change my metabolism so my lean body mass turned into something else. Even my facial muscles weakened so that I lost some of my high range on trombone. I practice daily and play a couple of times a week but my high notes are still not as secure. My wife and our brace of Brittanys keep me as active as ever but the weight has a stable reset. Keeping a pipe in my mouth rather than eating was a effective treatment but I had to cut back because of marginally controlled wet macular degeneration. For all I've been through I know I'm healthy because my appetite is so good.