Well, I finally did it!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After month after month (actually year after year) of annoying robo calls, pleas for donations, scam artists, pre-recorded Politicians spewing their drivel and propaganda I finally did the unthinkable....

........unplugged the damn phone!

Yes, I'm one of those luddites that still has a land line. And an old-fashioned cassette answering machine with a long outgoing message that usually discourages any of the aforementioned pests. In most cases they hang up before leaving a message, but the robo calls always seem to go through.

It's not uncommon for me to get 5-6 of these while I'm at home, sometimes after I've gone to bed. And while I don't pick up, the disruption is annoying to say the least.

I usually go to the phone to see if it's a legitimate caller leaving a message, after which I pick up. Yet I get so few legitimate calls anyways. And no I don't have caller ID. It's an extra expense I don't need.

Nor do I have a cell phone. Never owned one. Just don't need one. Simple as that. I make very few phone calls, and can easily plug in the phone when I want to make a call.

Beyond that, anyone that really needs to get in touch with me can call me at the brewery or send an e-mail. Nothing is so dire that requires me to be at moments notice.

FREEDOM!

:bom:

Yes so go ahead and tell me all about your cell phone advantages, your various apps and how they protect you (Hah!). Also what they cost you along with your fancy device, and I'll compare the bare-bones price of what I pay.

Yup I'm a luddite and damn proud of it!

8)

Cheers,

RR

The logical alternative to a landline for the person who doesn't want a fancy smartphone with all the bells and whistles, a simple flip phone cell phone on a pay as you go plan (the no plan plan). You go to AT&T (or whoever) and buy the most basic flip phone that just makes calls (they text too, which is cheap enough) and buy $25 worth of call time. When that runs out you just go buy more time. No monthly commitments. We got my mom to do this. She still has a landline, but we didn't want her out and about without the ability to call for help if something happened. She makes the occasional call on it. Her $25 usually lasts her a good 3 months or more. She says she doesn't really need the landline anymore but hasn't gotten around to getting rid of it. This is cheaper than a landline but you don't have to go without any kind of phone service, it's always there if you need/want it, and you can just turn it off (or silence it) whenever you want. Also, since you put all of your contacts into the phone, you just simply don't answer those unrecognized calls.

Our prayers have been answered
https://www.nomorobo.com/
We have been using this service for several years and it works great.
If its a robo call the phone rings only once and then stops.
All other calls keep ringing.
If a robo call sneaks through then you can report it and they will investigate.
Unfortunately it doesn't work in all areas with all providers.

Brewdude, you can't do that! You are not authorized to disconnect! I'd be on the lookout for men in black cars if I were you... :suspect:

Rande, I agree with Puff on getting a bare bones cell. I have unlimited talk and text on mine, but Machete don't text and neither does Dutch.

A few years back, I was having a conversation with a friend who is about 15 years my senior, and clearly a curmudgeon. He explained to me, that as a man ages, his circle of friends continues to become smaller and smaller.

I second the motion, if anyone needs to get in touch with you, they can call you at the brewery, or PM you here.

Good for you BD, screw cellphones and all that other none essential electronic garbage that big business seem to think up just to get our hard earned money. I grew up with an old dial landline phone and I'll die with one. I live most my life without a cellphone and all that other garbage, why do we need one now?
Although I don't unplug mine because I have a daughter out of state that may call on a moments notice but, I'm lucky enough to have caller ID without the extra cost. So good for you, we don't need no stinking cellphones, etc. ;)
Oh! and I only pay $21 a month for a landline with unlimited long distance.

Well Done, Rande. 8)

I finally cut the cord on cable a few months ago. Still have a landline though & I am raising kids that just now know how to dial 911 if something goes wrong, harder to do on a cell phone. One step at a time baby...

That's a shame Rande, I tried calling you last night ;)

Seriously though, that sounds liberating mate. Good show old boy!

I finally got rid of AT&T and now have everything, wireless landline, two cell phones (one for my 90 yo mother and one for my use ) and my internet all with Verizon and am now saving OVER $100.00 a month !! The cell phone for my mother has earned it's cost in the three times she has used it to call me when she has fallen. Technology is NOT bad. It's HOW you use it !! :twisted: :twisted:

We keep our Vonage land line only because I can let my parents sync it to their phone to make calls to family in Germany for .03/minute. Otherwise, it is never used. We turned off the answering machine about a year ago. I'm trying to think of anyone 30 years of age or under who has a land line and I don't know a soul.

Good move Rande! I dropped our landline in 2004. My cell phone has an app that blocks all calls except those that have been added to my "allow" list. I don't receive calls from anyone that I don't know. :)

AJ

I still have a land line here. Just in case. The phone is heavy enough to club baby seals with ease...

Nobody ever calls.....

Ten bucks a month seems like cheap insurance.....

I hear you Brewdude. Landlines have been usurped by cell phones in Korea...can't even get one any more. And as for the cell-phone often I will let it die on Friday and not re-charge it again until Monday morning. It bugs my wife a bit but to me, just knowing that I am unreachable to the rest of the world for a few days is comforting. Kind of like being on a boat, or hiking up into the mountains.
I have fond memories of the "old days" when it wasn't expected that one would be contactable 24-7 for every trivial thing. I don't think it is very healthy. Why did humans want to lose that kind of peace so easily I'm not sure.
I don't consider you a luddite...just a guy who enjoys peace and quiet. I'm the same. Then again, probably many of us pipe smokers are.

We are a cellphone only house with Internet for Netflix and the like. I got the landline when I got the net in here, plugged the phone and the first call I got was from a robo. I unplugged it after I hung it up lol. Anybody who calls my iPhone, I can put them on my block list for free if I don't want them to call again. 83 dollars a month.

Interesting comments gents. And more power to those of you who choose to embrace cell phones for your own reasons.

As for me, I'll stick to the old fashioned way of doing things. 'nuff said!

;) 

Cheers,

RR

Forgot to mention-

During one of our extended power outtages (6 days iirc) I went to the neighbor to see if I could make a call on his cell phone. He said that his service was down and had been for all this time. So nuts on relying on cell phones when the power goes out.

Since that time, I got a low voltage landline phone which will work if the phone lines are still up. My answering machine/phone depends on 110 power so that goes down in an outtage.

And the cheap low voltage phone has been useful in several situations during shorter outtages (last one 3 days) where the phone lines didn't go down.

Suffice to say I'm not impressed with cell phones. For more reasons than just that. Just sayin'.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":paznb5sc said:
Suffice to say I'm not impressed with cell phones. For more reasons than just that. Just sayin'.

Cheers,

RR
Well, cell phones do have a few redeeming qualities. For instance, you can't store nekkid selfies of yourself for someone to hack and post on the internet with a land line.

Dutch":gg1e65ru said:
Brewdude":gg1e65ru said:

Cheers,

RR
Well, cell phones do have a few redeeming qualities. For instance, you can't store nekkid selfies of yourself for someone to hack and post on the internet with a land line.

Ya, guess that leaves me out then!

:suspect:

Cheers!

Cheers,

RR

I agree completely. I have a regular phone with a recorder. That's it. Want me and I'm not there. Leave a message.
No cell phone here either. What the hell do I need a cell phone for. I see everyone walking around ( and driving) talking on their little c-phones. Who in hell needs to talk that much!
And what is even more hilarious is all the men I see with these largish holders on their belts to hold their Ipads?  Hell, I carry a gun. Not enough room for any electronic garbage hanging off me.

And........

Yesterday I plugged in the phone to make a call. Forgot to unplug it right after.

Not more than 5 minutes later I got a robo call.

'nuff said!

:x 

No Cheers,

RR