Were You A Member Of TUCOPS

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Just curious here, how many BoB's members were also members of "The Universal Coterie of Pipe Smokers"? I started late getting my first issue of "The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris" in 2003 but later went on to collect every volume Tom Dunn published.

Are there any folks here who HAVEN'T heard of the ephemeris?....

I joined as soon as I found about Tom Dunn, one of the great sorrows of my life, never having met him, but we corresponded a few times, THE comsumate Gentleman, I have oneof his pipes, I also have some Xmas postcars which he used to send out, I also have a TUCOPS pin and a decal for my HONDA, RIP Tom your friend Ken.

Pacem en Puffing Tom!

I wish. I came along too late. I've read several issues, loved it. One of these days when I can afford it I'd like to buy the bound books.

I never joined but have been fortunate to read the publications through one of our club members that was a long time member of TUCOPS. The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris is outstanding.

For those of you who don't know, the late Tom Dunn published an irregular quarterly publication called the Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris from the early 1960's up til' his death in 2006. The magazine was the size of a small phone book and would arrive in your mailbox at least a couple of times a year. It would be LOADED with stories, poems, show reports, sherlokiana, artwork and general literary info. To read one was to be connected to the very life support of the hobby. He had a print shop do the printing and binding. Tom never charged for a subscription. It was stictly run by donations only. Everything came out of his own pocket. Words can't express how much I miss it. Every other pipes publication falls soooo short of it's mark.

I unfortunately missed out on this. I have, of course, heard of the Ephemeris but never had the pleasure of actually reading it.

Member #07650 from sometime around 1998. I first read the Ephemeris sometime in the mid-80's. The Toronto Public Library has the first bound edition in their archives. I miss hearing from Mr. Dunn.

I became a member of TUCOPS in the summer of 2003.
I really miss receiving the Ephemeris as it was always a very informative and insightful publication.
Another great pipe publication is the NASPC (North American Society of Pipe Colectors) If you are not currently a member I would highly recommend you joining.
www.naspc.org

This is the first I have heard of it, as I have only been a pipe smoker for a few months now.

I've smoked a pipe since 1996, but never heard of it. It was only in the last couple of years I started getting into pipes in the "online world," though. Hate I missed out on it. It sounds fascinating, as does its publisher.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":nsx3g7cv said:
I started late getting my first issue of "The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris" in 2003 but later went on to collect every volume Tom Dunn published.
I'm pretty sure everything ever written about pipes in the history of the world is now part of your collection, Dock.

Last I heard you were negotiating for Alfred's hand-written original manuscript of "The Pipe Book." :lol:

LL":kih1lqti said:
Danish_Pipe_Guy":kih1lqti said:
I started late getting my first issue of "The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris" in 2003 but later went on to collect every volume Tom Dunn published.
I'm pretty sure everything ever written about pipes in the history of the world is now part of your collection, Dock.

Last I heard you were negotiating for Alfred's hand-written original manuscript of "The Pipe Book." :lol:
I would pay dearly for that particular item George. I promise you this, if it EVER comes available I will own it regardless of price! It would rank right up there with my Conan Doyle autograph/letter and my "29" "About Smoke" catalog...

Finding an Ephemeris in the mailbox was better than Christmas morning. I have and still read books one, two and all the unbound issues. :shock:

TUCOPS member #861 here; I was granted membership in 1970. I have books I & II and all the subsequent uncollected issues, as well as a lot of personal correspondence from Tom; he was one of a kind. The Ephemeris was unique and amazing, and we shall not see its like again. It's true that the internet has lessened the need for a publication like the Ephemeris, but it harks back to a simpler, more genteel (and some would say, better) time. I miss seeing that package in the mail that told me a new issue had arrived, and the occasional contact from Tom, a true gentleman.

TUCOPS member #829. When I worked as an Intelligence Analyst at XVIII Airborne Corps, one of my duties was to read the New York Times every day. One day I opened the paper to find an article on pipes and pipe smoking. Tom Dunn's name and The Universal Coterie of Pipe Smokers was prominently mentioned. I sent a letter to the Editor that same day requesting information about this "magazine." Imagine my surprise when, about a week later, an envelope arrived in the mail. Inside was a complimentary copy of the Ephemeris with this almost illegible scrawl welcoming me to the membership. As they say, the rest is history.

I'll never forget the first photo I ever saw of Mr Dunn. I had been envisioning this little, wizened man in a Mr Rogers-type cardigan, possibly with a beard. And, here was this young man, just a little older than me, standing before a bookcase, with a moustache, wearing glasses and smoking a prince. Quite dapper he looked.

I don't think there'll ever be another effort like the Ephemeris. Very few of us have Mr Dunn's passion for pipes. That's not to say we're not passionate about our hobby, but he seemed to have a burning zeal to spread the word.
Terry

Member #7131 (Esquire, that's the suffix Tom put on the end of your name in your mailing address) here.

I wrote to Tom back in 1985 after finding his info and address in the back of Hacker's Ultimate Pipe Book. I was curious since his address was no more that 10 miles from my home. He sent me a bunch of back issues along with the current one at the time and I received every one thereafter. I went on to purchase Books I and II so along I have a complete set of this treasure. When Jay and Louise started selling off items from his estate, I bought a humidor/pipe rack of Tom's.

He is the patron saint of our hobby, for sure. He is sorely missed...

Lou