Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
I am seeing that all of the online vendors are currently out of this. Since when did this become a R.A.T.? :evil:

-Sott

When FVF became unobtainable everyone scrambled to fill the void. Several great VA flakes now are scarce.

Worst of all, once a tobacco becomes scarce, there are people who start buying it just because it's scarce.

When I first joined this forum, I was not a fan of hoarding. I still don't like the concept, but the fact is if you don't stock up on your favorite tobaccos when you can get them, you may end up going without them for a year. Of course, as the Dunhill drought taught me a couple years back, we can also avoid out-of-stock problems by sticking with Pease, C&D, McClelland, and other blends produced in the USA.

The culture of fraternal co-operation is vulnerable to predators. :twisted:

:face:

Lol, the funny thing is I just want a tin or two....not even trying to horde . I tried a tin of campaign dark flake a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely. Really nice sweet taste but a ton of body, full flavored, and a nice nic kick. It almost reminds me of a cross between FVF and Marlin Flake. Anyways, if anyone has a tin or two to part with, hit me up. I have plenty of tobacco to make it worthwhile for ya!

-Scott

It was a dream smoke for years -- as close to the gloriously full-bodied "umami" feel of BSVa10 as anyone came. Counted up the empty tins of it once, did the math, and came up with five pounds.

But then out of nowhere it started getting objectionably sweet. After several consistently disappointing tins (same problem, indicating no accident involved) I bailed on it & went to FVF. Not as good, but doesn't taste like drinking hot cocoa either.

I wish they'd make an un-flavored version.

:face:

There was a rash of it a few months back. I would recommend putting your email address into the notification system at Smokingpipes.com if haven't done so already.

DrumsAndBeer":7gi4czvb said:
There was a rash of it a few months back. I would recommend putting your email address into the notification system at Smokingpipes.com if haven't done so already.
Good idea! Thanks!

Beware: 4noggins is using a different tobacco to blend Oriental Dusk. What I got from them last fall had very little aroma; the new stuff that I got in January has appreciable aroma and tastes differently. One poster above said that he has found the new less complex. I loved the spare elegance of the former, but in my opinion the new is more rounded, and being used to the former, I find it less good. For me it's stepped down from stellar to very good.

This is a blend that a local b&m gets in so I smoked a bit of it early on. I haven't had it in quite awhile. I got a bit in a bombing so I smoked some today. It's a really solid tobacco. I would have to say I will continue to enjoy my favorite McClelland Virginias more but this is a great change up tobacco for me. It's not even close to going to waste. I am a bit surprised it's not mentioned a bit more.

It's now become one of the fashionable "Unobtainium" blends so you can kiss it good bye !! That's why I stay with US Va blenders !! They are obtainable as they are not so fashionable !! :twisted: :twisted:

Yup it is. I chased this one all over the place for a year and when I did get some, I was not impressed. It wasn't worth the fuzz. Rattray's Marlin Flake is similar, is a real flake, is less expensive, and is always available.

And Germain's Balkan Sobranie was not worth the chase, either. I was disappointed.  But their Special latakia Flake, even if not loaded with Latakia, is quite good. The Orientals are quite smashing.

My impressions of this one are a little more favorable. I had the pleasure of smoking some with about 5-6 years of age on it, and it was really good. I recently opened a fresh tin hoping to find a similar experience. The flavor was good but but some of the nuances of the aged version weren't there and ultimately I wasn't quite as enamored.

Astley's 44 is worth a try. I think it has a little more flavor ummph, than the Wessex.