What a community we have here.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

At the risk of sounding corny, I just want to express my appreciation for this community of folks. I havent been here for long but already feel that I'm really learning alot about not only pipe smoking but people. I have not only read about the kindness of various Brothers of the Briar but have experienced it also. Let me give you an example: Yesterday evening I get home and sitting in my mudroom (where the USPS & UPS folks leave packages) is a box, not something I've ordered but a package from a fellow on this forum. Inside there is a bottle of Everclear (which I can't get in VA) for cleaning pipes :D , along with a nice cleaning kit, you see awhile back I posted a question about cleaning estate pipes and got much very good information. Digging deeper into the box I find a couple pouces of tobacco samples, both of which I have though about trying. Then to top it all was a pipe, a very nice Kaywoodie Majestic bent apple. I know that the gifter and I don't see eye to eye on every subject as I have noticed about many others here. But the beauty is that through all our differences, at the end of the day we can still share a smoke and a drink and the fellowship that makes this a very special place.
I want to express my appreciation to Mark a.k.a. Justpipes for this very nice gift. As well as all those that share not only gifts but their knowledge & expertise of this wonderful world of pipes.

That is what is so great about this Brother's of Briar. As you say, we can, and do disagree on a number of subjects, but when the day is done we can all set down and talk and enjoy a common thread when its over. Great going JP.

I think that Kaywoodie was a practice pipe... That way if you used the cleaner the wrong way it wouldn't be a great loss.... :D :D :D

Good on you Jp!

What EJ failed to tell in this story is that he picked up on my posts concerning not being able to purchase good rye whiskey here in North Carolina, just like he can't get Everclear in VA, and the fact that he graciously sent me a fifth of WT Rye as a surprise gift. What was so awesome about it is that I did not ask the favor directly. He realized my plight through reading the threads and took it upon himself to help a brother out! :cheers: It is a terrible thing when a man can't get a good bottle of rye at his own corner liquor store! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fine folks we have here and in the pipe world in general! :cheers:

Thank you EJ and everyone!

So what we actually have is a free will confession that both partys sent and received controlled substances,via each partys state regulations.
Hmmm wonder if the used the united States Post Office to committ these crimes?

Yall some hard core dudes.

I suspect Mark's a more generous guy than he admits. Good to know both of you guys are Brothers of the Briar. And, I guess, the same goes for some of the rest of you :)

-Andrew

I love quoting lyrics & sayings & lines from movies and here is another that is applicable:
"Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes."
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
:pipe:

puros_bran":ey7vph7h said:
So what we actually have is a free will confession that both partys sent and received controlled substances,via each partys state regulations.
Hmmm wonder if the used the united States Post Office to committ these crimes?

Yall some hard core dudes.
no comment.

LOL!!!

They are stupid laws... In Kentucky its in place because of so many dry countys...

NC prohibits any transfer that doesn't go through the ABC...

I'm not sure how or why Virginia has it, maybe dry countys, maybe so the State can get their nickle, maybe just to save the children.

I didn't even know they existed until I wanted to mail some Bourbon to Californy several years ago.... Here's the real screwed up part though, California,with all its nanny-ism has no problem with me mailing one of its citizens some booze...

Truly is a great group! :lol: As for the sometimes not agreeing...that's one of the many aspects that make this bunch so much fun!! You learn nothing from being surrounded by "yes" men :evil: To paraphrase (maybe even quote!) one of my heroes, one Thomas Jefferson, "I may not agree with what you have to say; but I will defend to the death your right to say it." :cheers: FTRPLT

I would have to agree. The people here are wonderful. Aaron and I used to be a part of a different message board a few years ago, and we were hopelessly addicted to it as we are now to this one. However, the people there were harsh and even cruel at times when they disagreed with another's opinion.

The most incredible thing is that it was a "Christian" board. Yet Aaron and I both agree that, whether religious or not, the brothers here are far more kind, and far more Christian than they ever were.

We think very highly of everyone here and hope to remain a part of this community for a long, long time. :pipe:

puros_bran":6cdoo887 said:
LOL!!!

They are stupid laws... In Kentucky its in place because of so many dry countys...

NC prohibits any transfer that doesn't go through the ABC...

I'm not sure how or why Virginia has it, maybe dry countys, maybe so the State can get their nickle, maybe just to save the children.

I didn't even know they existed until I wanted to mail some Bourbon to Californy several years ago.... Here's the real screwed up part though, California,with all its nanny-ism has no problem with me mailing one of its citizens some booze...
Enlighten me... what is a "dry county"? I think it implies a "no booze" for sale zone... how does that happen?

Its a hold over from prohibition.....

Local jurisdictions passed regulation to basically keep it in force... In Ky there are 'wet countys' where all booze are legal.. 'Beer and wine' only countys where liquer is still illegal. 'Damp countys' where food pkaces earning 80% or more of their revenue from food sales may sevre booze. And 'dry countys' where it is illegal to sale booze, or even posses them in certain quantitys....

Its stupid. It allows disreputable people to profit by breaking the law, it allows people under 21 to more easily get access ( a guy breaking the law to sale booze usually doesn't care who's buying)..
it comes up to vote every so often and the do gooders and the people getting financial gain from illegal trade campaign like crazy to make sure the county stays dry.

What strikes me about that is this... someday that could happen to tobacco sales, easier to pass in a county than a city.

Puffs, its already happened in some Citys here..

Can't remember the town name but there is a town in California that made it illegal to smoke anything but medicinal marijuana in public. Public includes the normal gov buildings,stores,bars etc. But also includes any dwelling attached to other living quarters (town houses,aptmnts etc ) any single home with more than one person living in it, sidewalks,parks,roadways..... Its basically illegal to smoke there period.

Oh the power of majority/judicial rule without the checks and balances of the Constitution.

There are States and Citys with similar regulations that don't stretch nearly as far but are for all intent the same.

I promise not to say anything to the Postal Inspectors at work about this
using the mail to send "Shine" across state lines. 8)

Winslow :sunny: