What A Mistake!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
On Tuesday I stopped in at the nearby Aldi grocery. It was apparently overstocked with Honey Lemon Caramel Greek yogurt and was on sale at half price. I bought a 32 oz. carton, took it home, and dumped it into a double layer of strainers suspended over a bowl. By dinner time last night, all the excess liquid had drained out and the yogurt was almost as thick as whipped cream cheese. I gave it a quick taste and it was delicious. Now the mistake. The volume of the yogurt, without the excess liquid had reduced by about half. I put half of that in a bowl with a cut up banana. It was so good that after I finished it I thought I'd have another small portion. The small portion became the rest of the carton with another banana mixed in.
This morning...oh my!

Mmm is called labneh, I first tried it in Lebanon. When I do it I'll wrap the yogurt in cheese cloth or something similar and leave it hanging over the sink over night. Ends up the consistency of cream cheese. Great on a warm pita with olives and olive oil.

I believe when you buy frozen chicken, by law, it can be 15% water. We buy A LOT of water in our food that wasn't there at inception.

That's unrelated to your story, though. I save that liquid to flavor things. There's probably enough culture in it to help make your own yogurt with unpasteurized milk. I've meant to try that, but haven't.

When I do it I'll wrap the yogurt in cheese cloth or something similar and leave it hanging over the sink over night.
That's how I used to do it, but I got tired of properly washing the cheese cloth when I was done. I've found that two fine strainers, one sitting in other works just as well. I also cover the top with plastic wrap and like to let it drain for a couple of days. I use the same procedure with sour cream.