What An Awful Smell

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
This was available from Amazon:
91Lt7tsoPhL._SL1500_.jpg

I ordered 24 cans of Yellowfin Tuna in EVOO at $1.08 per can. Keep in mind these are 4.5 oz cans not 3 oz. I opened two cans to make some tuna salad. It smelled like cat food. Maybe I just didn't expect the combination of Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Yellowfin. But the tuna was chunk, not solid. I thought I'd just made a bad choice, wouldn't ever eat it and dropped it off at a food shelf barrel.

About 10 minutes ago, just out of curiosity, I read several recent reviews and all echoed my sentiments. One reviewer said he/she had purchased 60 cans previously and it was a great value, but the recent purchase was not fit for human consumption. Just for schitz and grinz, I thought I'd file for a return from Amazon, even though I didn't have the tuna any longer.
Very specifically, they instructed: Do Not Return This Product. Your purchase price will be refunded to the charged account.

12-Pack 4.5oz StarKist Selects EVOO Solid Yellowfin Tuna $13 at Amazon with free shipping on $25 or with Prime.​

Last edited:
Over the years the quality of supermarket brands of canned tuna has fallen. What used to be when opened, a chunk of solid, white tuna, has now morphed into small chunks of soupy-pasty, brown, foul-smelling, tuna flakes. Disgusting!

Years ago I'm sure I remember buying solid Albacore, and not Yellow-Fin tuna. But, steam-cooked, Tuna (insert brand name, here) packed in oil or water..... always smells like "Puss and Boots", cat food! Again, disgusting! No matter what brand: Bumble-Bee, Star-Kist, Chicken-of-the Sea.......they all stink. I could ralph!!!!

The higher-priced, premium brands of processed, Italian-style tuna fish...bottled, and packed in olive oil....are far superior to the offal/awful common brands of canned tuna fish, that are sold in supermarkets.
*********************************************************************************************************************
As an alternative...... process your own "customized" tuna.....even though it's more work. You can poach some chunks of good-quality fresh tuna, in water, and then pack those still solid pieces -without the aromatic poaching water- in Mason jars. Cover the tuna with some EV olive oil, optional: add some cracked pepper corns, olives, sprigs of herbs, slices of lemon, red-pepper flakes, spices. Store the jarred tuna, in your refrig. The water-poaching, kills the strong stink of the tuna fish.....and makes that home-processed tuna way more palatable.... and the taste will be far superior than anything that you can buy from a store. Just pop the lid of the Mason jar, take out what you'll eat, and store the rest, jarred, and under a lid of olive oil.

I had the same experience semi-recently with some brand of canned tuna. Smelled exactly like cat food and was impossible to eat. Fortunately I was able to return the unopened cans to the supermarket but it's put me off buying canned tuna.

No Cheers,

RR

The demand for fresh and frozen tuna has exploded recently, especially in the Asian market. At the same time, the harvest continues to drop every year. I fear the lower-end can tuna is suffering because of this. A tuna fish sandwich is just about my favorite, along with good braunschweiger and liver sausage, but I've got a quality outlet for the latter.
Natch

I buy canned tuna in water for our kitties. They don't seem to mind it; I wouldn't eat it for anything!! Haven't had a decent tuna fish salad sandwich in forever!! FTRPLT

Is tuna in tuna cans? Isn't it other fish now? Isn't actual tuna super expensive, reserved for sushi and posh restaurants? I know there are various grades, but I thought even the more plentiful remaining species is still rather pricey. I don't know first hand. I've never liked fish, not even fish sticks as a kid. I wish I did, though. I can't think of a single backpacking trip when I didn't daydream about fishing and frying my own catch rather than packing in more food.

I have never been able to eat canned tuna, have anyways though it smells like cat food. In fact runs and salmon are basically the two fish I just plain don't like.

I really like a tuna sandwich made from solid white albacore. My younger daughter shares my fondness, while my older daughter would leave the kitchen if anything tuna were on the table.

One of my fav summer suppers is a nice thick slab of fresh tuna, that has been flame-broiled on the barby. Marinate the tuna steaks in some herbs, garlic paste, salt, pepper, freshly squeezed lemon juice and olive oil. Sear over hot coals.

Flame-broiled fresh tuna, tastes nothing even remotely like any canned tuna.

Many times I've purchased "fresh, previously frozen" tuna steaks, but never actual never frozen. I occasionally buy frozen tuna steaks at Restaurant Depot, but that requires buying a 10 lb. case. I poach it for salad and fry it to serve as steaks.