What An Odor!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I'm continuing to deal with plantar fasciitis at my right heel. The MD says the pain will subside if I'm careful how I walk and with the shoes I wear. All tests indicate that there's nothing serious enough to require surgery. I've bought several pair of very light weight casual shoes with memory foam inserts. They do help. At Amazon, I looked at some double strapped slides with foam heel cups. Reading the comments, some folks said these slides relieved foot pain. I ordered one pair, $16.99, cheap. They arrived today, packed in a plastic bag within another plastic bag. As soon as I pierced the outer bag, I knew they were going back to Amazon. What an horrendously foul plastic odor! Made my eyes water. I turned the plastic shipping bag inside out, put in the slides, and taped it shut. Immediately filled out the return request form from Amazon, got the return authorization and dropped it off at a UPS store. I cannot imagine working in the factory that makes those slide sandals. The air must be toxic.

I injured mine playing golf and was sent to a Podiatrist for the same problem. After a cortisone shot he suggested surgery to which I felt was not a very good option. He ended up temporarily taping several different pieces of foam for support to the bottom of my foot for 1 week intervals 3 different times. Each time I would give him feedback on how each one felt to me. He then made insert which I wore for 2 years while I played golf. It takes a long time to get over that and I can feel for you brother.

Yup…takes a long time. Mine took years. Understand the injury…plantar fascia is a scientific name for “foot tissue.” This particular tissue is a ligament attached at one side to the heel bone. On the other side, the tissue fans out to attach at the base of each of your five toes. Plantar fasciitis is the name for the condition that develops when that tissue becomes inflamed. When the plantar fascia is excessively stretched, micro‑tears can occur, causing this swelling and subsequent pain. Ligaments just take a ling time to heal and with this injury they are very easily re-injured which just makes the recovery time longer. Nasty business.

Spenco PolySob Heavy Duty inserts. I never sniffed them. They cured my classic heel spur. Whatever is in the shoe I buy comes out before they go on the first time. And the Spenco goes in. Problem has never returned.

The Top Right one is the one I wear. The $19.99 pair. I'll wear out shoes and transfer the insert to the new pair. At first, a bit of ibuprofen and these inserts cured my heel spur. Amazing to see on an xray. I do not know how it did not hurt before it got as big as it did. That musta been nearly 25 years ago now.

The top right one looks about what the doctor made for me. I also never go barefoot anymore and wear hard sole slippers when inside the house as per doctor orders.

The doctor put my x-ray up and asked me when I broke my big toe. I said that I did not know I had broken it. He pointed to a bone on the top of my foot and asked me if I remember breaking it. I answered him the same again. I thought up till this point that I had never had a broken bone in my body.

I ordered the Spenco suggested and another set designated Amazon's choice. This f-ing plantar fasciitis really limits my ability to exercise. I quit jogging several years ago, but my regular regimen is/was a brisk walk 30 minutes in any direction from my house and 30 minutes back. There's a Planet Fitness that's a short walk from my house that I plan on joining. It's open 24/7, so on those nights when insomnia rules, it's a 2-minute drive.

If these insoles do not help I hope you would have your doctor send you to a Podiatrist. The one I saw fixed me up. It's very frustrating not being able to do what you want and need to be doing because of a nagging injury.