What and Why?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cartaphilus":44mnjaiq said:
I plead the 5th! ;)
OK Ron you've been granted immunity.  Come on and show us you two favorite pipes out of that fabulous collection. If you can't pick just two it's OK to post as many as you like. Just tell us why you chose those over the others. We all enjoy looking at the pipes from your collection. :)

How about the rest of you guys? We've got lots of members that haven't posted any pipes for us to drool over. Here's your chance to brag about how lucky you are for having the ones you chose in your collection. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

AJ

OK - I'll play...but I need to qualify things to make it do-able.  I'm going to rule out pipes on my shelves that others could never obtain, the one of a kinds, the customs, the collector pieces...that stuff. We have enough unobtainium to deal with in this game.

I'll also limit it to one maker. I want things affordable, so I'll say Peterson. That way someone else picking up a like model should have the same positive smoking experience.

My two favorites, ten, are as follows:

First, my Rosslare Royal Irish 05 blasted Amber & Black. I love everything about this trustworthy beauty...the size, the fit, the feel, the look & mostly the performance. Ropes, twists, shag, cubed...everything works. Love it.

002-029-19661_1.jpg

Then there's the Harp b5 with the Cumberland stem. The b5 shape just screams Pete, I think. I have 3 - 4 b5's and I love the Harp above the others as it has the plastic Cumberland stem instead of the evil black rubber stuff.  lol

002-029-13413.jpg

Ok, so I figured I'd play as well.

Like most I found myself extremely challenged by this, but I've narrowed it down (uncomfortably) to two.

The top one is a Briar Spirit pipe made by Kirk. It's a solid bit of kit with the most wonderful flame grain patterning. Although it's hard to see due to the light it has a saddle stem. I like this pipe because it is shorter than what the bowl would initially suggest making it lean towards the stubby end of the spectrum. Kirk is a talented Pipesmith who seemed to have a run of extremely bad luck in his life. Despite several PMs I've not heard from him for a while now, so I hope he's ok and happy in life.

The one below it some of you may recognise. It's the Growley that I won a few years back when Brian was deliberating over what path to take in his life; follow his heart and make pipes or remain in his current role. After posting my thoughts he chose me as the winner of the competition he'd set up to gain peoples' ideas, and a few weeks later this little beauty found its way across the pond to me. As a newby piper at the time, I can't begin to tell you how excited I was to receive this briar. There's no way I could justify spending on an artisan (there's that word again), so to be this one's new proud owner was like all my Christmases had come at once.

Both are tremendous smokers, are well travelled, and like all the pipes in my rack, they all have a story attached which is why I treasure them so much.

Narrowly missing out on a piece of photo action would be my rustic Parker billiard, the first pipe I ever bought. Despite being a 'second', it smokes like the two above and has had more bowls of 'baccy through it than any of my other briars.

Great to see others' choices. A thread like this really highlights our differences in tastes. Great idea AJ!

Stick, out.

Stick":6v8ati7g said:
Ok, so I figured I'd play as well.

Like most I found myself extremely challenged by this, but I've narrowed it down (uncomfortably) to two.

The top one is a Briar Spirit pipe made by Kirk.  It's a solid bit of kit with the most wonderful flame grain patterning.  Although it's hard to see due to the light it has a saddle stem.  I like this pipe because it is shorter than what the bowl would initially suggest making it lean towards the stubby end of the spectrum.  Kirk is a talented Pipesmith who seemed to have a run of extremely bad luck in his life.  Despite several PMs I've not heard from him for a while now, so I hope he's ok and happy in life.

The one below it some of you may recognise.  It's the Growley that I won a few years back when Brian was deliberating over what path to take in his life; follow his heart and make pipes or remain in his current role.  After posting my thoughts he chose me as the winner of the competition he'd set up to gain peoples' ideas, and a few weeks later this little beauty found its way across the pond to me.  As a newby piper at the time, I can't begin to tell you how excited I was to receive this briar.  There's no way I could justify spending on an artisan (there's that word again), so to be this one's new proud owner was like all my Christmases had come at once.  

Both are tremendous smokers, are well travelled, and like all the pipes in my rack, they all have a story attached which is why I treasure them so much.

Narrowly missing out on a piece of photo action would be my rustic Parker billiard, the first pipe I ever bought.  Despite being a 'second', it smokes like the two above and has had more bowls of 'baccy through it than any of my other briars.

Great to see others' choices.  A thread like this really highlights our differences in tastes.  Great idea AJ!

Stick, out.
Splendid looking pipes David. Champion an' all! Our Kirk and Brian G do know how it's done don't they!

Great to see these two, as I don't reckon you've ever posted pics of them before and I've always wondered how they looked. Right cracking they are, both of them! Ta very much for posting them mate!

8)

Cheers,

RR

p.s. Pity about our Kirk being out of touch. I've sent him pm's and emails as well to no avail. Do hope he's coping.

Blackhorse":m6o7dhrk said:
My two favorites, ten, are as follows:

First, my Rosslare Royal Irish 05 blasted Amber & Black. I love everything about this trustworthy beauty...the size, the fit, the feel, the look & mostly the performance. Ropes, twists, shag, cubed...everything works. Love it.

002-029-19661_1.jpg
Love your Rosslare 05. I have been trying to buy one just like that for a couple of years. Even ordered it at a couple of prominent pipe retailers and still no luck.

Bet it smokes fantastic as do almost all Petes.

It smokes better than my other Pete's in that it does everything well.

Keep watch in the Trading Post. This and most of the rest of my collection will be going on sale this Spring/Summer. I'm going to be trimming down to a half dozen pipes, total.

Blackhorse":eb8vz8g5 said:
It smokes better than my other Pete's in that it does everything well.

Keep watch in the Trading Post. This and most of the rest of my collection will be going on sale this Spring/Summer. I'm going to be trimming down to a half dozen pipes, total.
Whoa....stop the presses.......

BH trimming down to half a dozen pipes!? Wat's up wit dat m'man? :shock:

You gettin' rid of pipe weed as well???????

Say it ain't so!!!!!

:monkey:

Cheers,

RR

Guy asks a simple question and I still have to hedge!

My first would definitely be this craggy old Hilson; I've posted it here before.  My wife gifted it to me when I was in grad school; not a great pipe or brand by some folks' standards, and it wasn't an expensive pipe obviously, but we didn't have much money, so we thought it was.  It's seen me through some good and some bad times, and I have to say I cannot ever remember it giving me a bad smoke...

IMG_3254.jpg

The second one is way harder, and here comes the hedge: It would probably be either this Peterson SH Mycroft...

IMG_0782.jpg

or this SH Moran...

005_zpsc7f9c042.jpg

They're definitely current favorites.  But it could also be...oh, never mind.