What are you drinking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
Currently I am enjoying a Tanqueray gin and tonic.

Apple pie,,,,
1/2 oz cinnamon schnapps
1 jigger ginger brandy
3 jiggers sour apple schnapps
3 jiggers vodka
3 jiggers apple cider(or juice)
pinch of nutmeg
shake with ice

So it's friday evening and I'm at a local ABC for my bi-weekly liquor run, browsing the isles looking for something new when I find myself at the Scotch isle standing....staring at all the different labels with no idea what to get. When in walks a gentleman straight by me, pauses for a second so I ask "what's good?" he reaches for Dewars White label & turns to walk away and says with a grin "it's all good!" as he reaches the counter to pay he adds "after the first couple anyway". So I pick up the next bottle of the same (added bonus was a cool "rocks" glass mounted on top of the bottle).
Since the NY pipe show, when Doc Watson shared a shot of Scotch with several of the brothers; I've felt like smoking a bit of English tobac while sipping a Scotch (some familiar flavor in there). So Friday night I fired up my cob filled with Squadron Leader with the cool little glass filled with Dewars and a chunk of ice (with a little water chaser).
My expectations were fully met, what a wonderful combination!
I'm not sure what it is, but Scotch and English tobac just seem to be made for one another.
Give it a try!

I guess I'm just gonna have to get me a bottle of Scotch!

Thanks EJ! :lol:

you know... I've tried scotch on more than one ocasion and, unfortunately, I still don't get it.

Aaron":9bzbmyhs said:
you know... I've tried scotch on more than one ocasion and, unfortunately, I still don't get it.
I have found that scotch is an acquired taste.
I love it.

But I usually drink the US's native spirit : Bourbon

Ezra Brooks 90 proof lately

paddy-boy":btl5w3o8 said:
But I usually drink the US's native spirit : Bourbon
That's my usual too, and that's what I'm used to drinking. I do occasionally get the itch for a new spirit though.

I usually start in the Bourbon isle and if nothing catches my eye I move on to the Rums, Ryes, etc. this week it was Scotch. I don't know what's going on with Rye it's been non existant lately, do they only produce it certain times of the year?

I think Ryes are only in production (bottling) for a short time every year.
But don't quote me on that.

Aaron":rymygidu said:
Well that makes two of us,,,I've tried the whole range, top to bottom ,but it can't hold a candle to good american bourbon,,,as far as my tastebuds go anyway,,,

I'll be sipping on my bottle of 12-Year Doublewood from The Balvenie tonight while looking forward to the Raleigh Pipe Show.

Been drinking a lot of scotch lately - mainly because I'm lazy and just pouring it in the glass is way easier than mixing a drink. However, now that it's getting warmer, but not quite martini weather for us, we've been drinking a variation on a old fashioned. Had a few of these last night...

Tbsp of sugar
Tsp of maraschino cherry juice
1 maraschino cherry
1 small orange slice (rind removed)

Put in the bottom of the glass and mash it around.

Add a few ice cubes, pour whiskey in half way, fill the other half with sour mix (we just use lemonade). I drink my scotch neat so as not to water down the flavor, so this drink has been a nice change of pace.

EJ,
Dewar's is a good choice for a blended scotch. And as you have said, English mixtures go very well with a dram of scotch as a compliment.
IMHO there are no bad scotches. As for a hot summer evening my preference is a blended scotch and soda with a twist of lemon. Nice and refreshing for sure.
Single Malts are my favorite tho. The differences in flavor from region to region is a pleasant treat and the labels/makers are endless.
If I had to list my favorites and keeping it short it would be Cragganmore, Balvenie Doublewood, Caol Ila, and MacCallan, which covers several regions and flavors.
Hope to join some of my BoB's soon for a sip and a smoke. Maybe in Chicago or Richmond??? Eric and Mark I'm sure you're up to another trip.
Cheers.
Doc :D :D

Right now I am enjoying a nice bombay saphire martini with one olive dirty. So far pretty good, it could probably stand to be a bit dirtier. :drunken:

Making dinner for the family and enjoying a Bacardi 151 over ice. So smooth going down but hits like a sledge hammer....

That's one heck of an aperitif MB.
I'd be making some interesting dishes after a couple of those 151's
Stopped to buy the Chicago pipe show bottle today. Chose MacCallan Cask Strength single malt. Definitely not an aperitif.
Enjoy
Doc

docwatson":c6plarl5 said:
I hear you Doc, It doesn't take too many of those to make a dozen....

docwatson":q7hlot6v said:
Stopped to buy the Chicago pipe show bottle today. Chose MacCallan Cask Strength single malt. Definitely not an aperitif.
Enjoy
Doc
Not sure I have tried the cask strength, but I love the no. 12. This is becoming my favorite single malt, even though I got a couple of bottles of Glenfiddich 12 that go down very nice as well.

Right now, I'm on a Johnny Walker Gold kick. I need to go see if they are still on sale.

Right now I'm enjoying a gin and tonic with lime. 8)