What are you drinking?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight will be some Jameson as I kick back with some old movies and new tobaccos.

Last night:
Goose Island Harvest Ale
Blue Point Toasted Lager
Magner's Irish Cider

Has anybody been shopping at ALDI? They opened some in Dallas, and carry a German pilsner called Wernesgruner. It's pale like Miller, but perhaps a dollar cheaper for a six of longnecks (except High Life, in which case you gotta' go with the 32s). I never found anything in more common European imports like Heineken, but this cheap German stuff tastes rich with a round high and you can't beat the price.

That's what I'm havin'.

I think I need to move to Texas - the liquor stores here in Kansas have a "limited" selection of what they can get and are expensive, plus add on the damn state tax you pay. People wonder why everyone slips across the border to Missouri to buy anything...

Also, forget buying any good beer in grocery stores - it's all 3.2 horse piss. Yuck. :x

Matt

And I thought Texas was bad for keping the liquor stores closed on Sundays. I was once in Arizona, where you could buy hard liquor at grocery stores. Still, Phoenix didn't have all the bars and liquor/beer stores we have in Dallas.

Presently, Pabst Blue Ribbon. I don't care if it is a little hipster beer. I like it.

Aaron":4cpn4agx said:
Presently, Pabst Blue Ribbon. I don't care if it is a little hipster beer. I like it.
It was an honest drinking man's beer before that, and it'll be one long after.

Drinking one right now.

Doc Manhattan":ro6ogopw said:
Aaron":ro6ogopw said:
It was an honest drinking man's beer before that, and it'll be one long after.

Drinking one right now.
Solidarity sir. I actually did know that it was considered a working mans beer years ago, I've just been criticized here recently for drinking it. But I really don't care.

Finishing off a Coors before going to that damn high taxed whisky here in Kansas (Forty Creek) But it's worth it, Mizzous' to far away from this side of Wichita. :evil:

Incredibly NSFW, but someone has to say it:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/snhiofL2Rh4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dennis Hopper another great Kansan (Dodge City even). He is sorely missed :( May he rest in peace

Buffalo Trace

First time. Lots of flavors, but none are very robust. I like the oaky, leathery first stage, followed by a somewhat crisp, clean citrus-like finish. It's not really citrus, but something with a bright flavor like that. Had a spicy meal about thirty minutes before, so it wasn't a great combination at first. With the right meal and then an acidic-leaning cigar, I bet its great. That'll be next.

Coffee. Starbucks espresso roast to be exact. It's gonna be a long night and this paper isn't going to write itself. Guess I shouldn't be posting on BoB....

Just had a couple longnecks of Shiner Bock, made here in Texas. I hear they've got a Christmas variety out, which I must try. Finally something I might like about the holidays.

Greenleaf":fvah5uip said:
Just had a couple longnecks of Shiner Bock, made here in Texas. I hear they've got a Christmas variety out, which I must try. Finally something I might like about the holidays.
Fellow Texan and shiner lover here! If you like shiner you should check out their hefeweizen, very refreshing. I know if some people catch me saying this I'll get shot, but I think its far and away the best of their lineup.

Just be happy you don't live in Pennsylvania; here, all hard liquor and wine is sold in State Stores and priced accordingly (I just paid $25 for a fifth -- 750 ml -- of Maker's Mark). You can buy two (and only two) six packs at a bar to take home, but need to buy a case (and only a case) at a beer distributor, regulated by the state. A free drink at a bar from a sympathetic barkeep is as rare as a hen's tooth, and I suspect quasi-illegal.

There is a constant political undertow to liberalize the system; our Republican governor-elect made it a campaign plank this year. But I also suspect that those who hold beer licenses will persuade our legislature otherwise. On the bright side the legislature was corruptable enough to exempt taverns from the anti-smoking ordinance that was passed here a couple of years back, so you can still smoke and have a drink and in a sympathetic establishment, enjoy a cigar or pipe like an adult, which is a fine thing and worth the surcharge, IMHO.