What are you going to do...?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
What are you going to do if the cost of insurance is higher for a smoker?
The other day I checked the cost for life insurance. One of the questions I was asked was "Are you a smoker?" The cost was about double if I said that I was a smoker. Since I already have both life and medical insurance this is not a problem, at the moment.
I heard on the radio that John Mcaine wanted people to pay for health care based on their risk. I interpret this to mean that health insurance would cost more if you were a smoker. If this happens, would you give up pipe smoking?
Bub

If they actually give dirt cheap healthcare to the broccoli and bean curd eating health nut I'd feel a lot better about paying higher rates, but you just know that nobody is gonna get a break, there will only be high and higher.

I've got a pretty decent healthcare plan.. Its called regardless of what, I gotta drag my ass out to the truck and claim its work related so workmans comp handles it.

Hey Doc, I swear that the clap is trucking related :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

I would have to seriously consider it, because insurance is beasting through about a third of my paycheck, roughly.

:pipe:

I believe before it is all over being a known smoker is going to penalize a man in just about every aspest of society. Some companies are going to a completely smoke free work force and even test employees for nicotine.

I am already being penalized through my companies optional life plan. Because I have to declare that I am a smoker my monthly premiums are approximately 3 times higher than my coworkers that declare they are non-smokers.

Unfortunately I believe it is going to get worse before it ever gets better.

Mark

Bub,

I plan on smoking my pipes til' a large hole is dug and a box containing me or what's left of me is tossed into it.If insurance companies try to deny me coverage/raise rates to an impossible level,I'll become a nonsmoker on paper.Prove it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best,
Dock

One thing that I noticed on the questionaire of my insurances for this year's enrollment, is in the description for smokers there is a notation that being declared a smoker includes smoking pipes, cigars and using any form of smokeless tobacco.

I don't know why they just don't go ahead and call it tobacco users.

I must be a bad, bad person because I smoke a pipe and use smokeless tobacco sometimes. I can honestly say that I absolutely do not smoke cigarettes and I only smoke a cigar about every couple of years, if that much.

D.J. Perry":jx9j9amz said:
Bub,

I plan on smoking my pipes til' a large hole is dug and a box containing me or what's left of me is tossed into it.If insurance companies try to deny me coverage/raise rates to an impossible level,I'll become a nonsmoker on paper.Prove it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best,
Dock
Here, other employees are rewarded for being non-smokers, I think they get a $300.00 kick-back at the end of the year. Also, they test for nicotine and everyone here is a dirty rat, I tell ya.

:farao:

Rule #1...Don't ever tell'em anything other than you are the picture of perfect health! They have a bunch of rules relating to height, weight, health history, family history, etc. Their lowest-advertised rates are based on matching a health profile; anything outside that profile means a higher premium! Deny everything; implicate everybody!! That's my story..and I'm stickin' to it!!

Rule #2...They can test you for nicotine usage; it's either a blood(seldom used) or breath analyzer(the norm) test. No let them test=no insurance. However, according to my medical buds, unless you inhale a whole bunch (i.e., cigarettes), the chances of this test showing anything for a pipe or cigar smoker are slim (again, presuming NO inhalation). Plus, if you know the test is approaching...just quit for a few days. Your system clears out pretty fast! Also, gargling with a NON-alcoholic mouth/dental rinse will help with the breath analyzer. I know nothing about the effects of smokeless tobacco; you're on your own there!! FWIW...FTRPLT

I seem to remember a story on health insurance for cigar smokers in Cigar Aficianado a year or two ago and it started off by saying the publisher (I think, someone high up but not Shanken himself), who is a pretty heavy cigar smoker, went in for a nicotine test and came out clean despite the fact he had smoked a cigar earlier in the day! I can't confirm the details or year on this because I gave all my Aficianados away.

Of course if I knew I was going in to test I probably would risk it with a cigar in the morning. :D :D :pipe: