What are you listening to?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, some great tune-age listed here... right about now I am grooving on some Soul Coughing. Incredible, innovative 90's band. Four blokes, one on percussion, one on upright bass, the lead singer on guitar, other cat rocking a turntable and keyboards. Difficult to categorize; Mike Doughty, lead singer, describes their sound as "deep slacker jazz." I find it catchy, deep, kinda dark, very melodic, cerebral. Existential, post modern sketches that capture mood and melodrama; the human condition in words and sounds. Think of melodic jazz riffs, punctuated by industrial noises and syncopated vocals. Poetry/stream of consciousness set to beats, samples, and funky breaks. These guys are brilliant. Really different, really likable. Artsy stuff that colors outside the lines. They did get some airplay in the mid 90's, you may recognize "Super Bon Bon." For sure check out: Is Chicago Is Not Chicago, Collapse, The Idiot Kings, Soft Serve (one of my faves), Mr. Bitterness, Sugar Free Jazz, Soundtrack To Mary. Google it, turn it up.

Super Bon Bon. Kind of annoying sounding (purposefully, I believe) at first. But man, there is really something here. Turn it up REALLY LOUD. It took a while to grow on me, and now I just full on dig it. Warning: this song may just make you want to claw your eyes out. I find it best Really Loud, with strong coffee. If Super Bon Bon just completely turns you off, makes you want to blow something up, strangle a cat, then check out Soft Serve or Soundtrack to Mary.

Lyrics from Super Bon Bon:

Move aside,
and let the man go through.
Let the man go through.

If I stole
Somebody else's wave
To fly up.

If I rose up,
Up with the avenue
Behind me.

Some kind of verb.
Some kind of moving thing.
Something unseen.
Some hand is motioning
to rise, to rise, to rise.

Too fat, fat you must cut lean.
You got to take the elevator to the mezzanine,
Chump, change, and it's on, super bon bon
Super bon bon,
Super bon bon.

And by
The phone
I live
In fear
Sheer Chance
Will draw
You in
To here.

Soul Coughing! I need to "dust off those mp3s, man. "Bus to Beelzebub" and "True Dreams of Wichita" are some of my favorites.

Doc Manhattan":gz7i5dza said:
Soul Coughing! I need to "dust off those mp3s, man. "Bus to Beelzebub" and "True Dreams of Wichita" are some of my favorites.
Ya, man! Bus to Beelzebub is kind of a tuff one; but I fully dig on "True Dreams of Wichita". Screenwriters Blues is also a gem; beatnik poetry set to deep house jazz beats. Gotta love the upright bass they incorporate into their post industrial-disconnected-white noise sound canvas. Soul Coughing is genius level art! Some of there stuff is difficult to approach, some of it is disturbingly catchy, but mostly it's groovy funkalicious. Ever check out any of Mike Doughty's solo stuff? He is more of an acoustic singer/songwriter now. Great stuff. My daughter loves 27 Jennifers! Also, check "Looking At The World From the Bottom of A Well" on Youtube videos.

I bought a Soul Coughing CD as it was recommended for it's deep bass. :lol:

Los Shakers, the Uruguayan Beatles! Really!

As far as I know, this was their only U.S release. They usually sang in Spanish, but they do a good job singing in English on this one. And it's from the grooviest year ever, 1966!

The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds. One of the best albums of all time, full stop.

Don "Sugarcane" Harris. This will make you sweat.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C80iZgMBnGU" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MisterE":d0zo2xnk said:
hobie1dog":d0zo2xnk said:
Vincent Persichetti- The Hollow Men, w/ Chris Gekker on solo trumpet

relating to the emptiness of humanities hearts and souls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJRRc2YUp8g
Awesome piece and great player!

If you like this check out Copland´s Quiet City, if you don´t already know it...
Just watched a youtube video of that last night :)

Woody Herman 1963 "Caledonia" at a blistering speed, bass players hands had to have fallen off after the song. Bill Chase on screaming trumpet. Sal Nistico on sax. Phil Wilson on trombone. Doesn't get any better that smoking Big Band than this.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/voTQKRE361I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/voTQKRE361I?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Somebody tell what I'm doing wrong here, as I select embed, then copy and paste the highlighted blue code, and still end up with nothing here but a code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voTQKRE361I&feature=player_embedded#!

Status
Not open for further replies.