What are you listening to

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the record player spinnin' on this very cold Saturday mornng. Just finished the double album of Tom Petty's Wildflowers and I have moved on to the Jim Hall/Ron Carrter duo titled Alone Together.

Will have to break for lunch soon . . . . .

Movin' along with Wes Montgomery, the album, er, Movin' Along. Riverside (OJC) Vinyl.

Who needs to eat lunch anyway?

Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,way cool

I'll add Paul Desmond, Bill Evans and Stanley Turrentine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,to name a few

You guys are major cool.

Tony,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,try

Miles Davis
"Kind of Blue"
with: Julian "Canonball" Adderly, Paul Chambers, James Cobb, Bill Evans and Wynton Kelly
Columbia label
7464-64935-2
I have heard that it is the all time #1 selling jazz album

Mary would like
Miles Davis
"Love Songs"
Columbia
7464-65853-2

Stan Getz
"Captain Marvel"
99923-7864

Stan Getz
"Sweet Rain"
with:
Ron Carter
Grady Tate
Chick Corea
Verve
42281-50542

Also check out Roy Hargrove and Wynton Marsalis

Maybe I should get the cd burner fired up after the first of the year.

You name it, I have it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but no RAP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,RAP is CRAP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Reggae too.

Mega Regards to all music lovers out there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Music and pipes are a natural fit,,,,,,,,,,,,,

tj

A partial listing of yesterday's tunage:
  • Bandalero – from Neil Schon's Beyond the Thunder album; his skills were vastly underutilized as Journey's lead guitarist, but he is a phenomenally good player with the all too rare gift that marries technical skill with melodic content. All of the tunes on the album are instrumentals, which in today's culture automatically consigns an album to relative oblivion...and so the masses remain musically impoverished, and musically ignorant. No matter, I still find myself walking around singing the guitar parts on this album, just as I do for so many other instrumental guitar masterpieces by the likes of The Hellecasters, Tommy Emmanuel, Michael Hedges, The Ventures, Craig Chaquico, The Rippingtons (Russ Freeman), Leo Kottke...I could go on all day...
  • In Your Eyes – Peter Gabriel's So album is arguably his best work. Often repetitive, he still hits a zone that resonates in his best tunes. In In Your Eyes, the way he uses the tonic chord (D) as a passing chord around which he floats between the relative minor and the four chord provides a constant sense of suspension that never quite resolves until the key change on the chorus, and even then you're never exactly sure where the tonic is...
  • Broken Wings – a live rendition from a Mr. Mister concert at The Ritz...these guys were scary good
  • Gringo – the Bill Payne masterpiece from Little Feat's Hoy-Hoy! album
  • John Riley – the classic from The Byrds' 5D album...analog distortion and all, it's a sound that has no equal; the mesh of McGuinn's Rick 12-string, Crosby's Gretsch Tennessean, Hillman's P-bass, augmented by the string section starting on verse 2. Soaring above it all, the synergistic, synchronistic blend of McGuinn & Crosby vocals. Still raises the goosebumps.
  • The Christmas Song – Family of Man track for performance at today's gig (arr. Vito). I always love playing this tune; I get to play that 1966 Gretsch Chet Atkins Anniversary Model I had at TJ's smoker...it has the perfect creamy jazz guitar sound for this tune. Works great on the next tune, too...
  • What A Wonderful World – Family of Man track for performance at today's gig (arr. Vito) Bob Thiele and George D. Weiss wrote this tune specifically for Satchmo. The song bombed in the U.S. market (1967), but was a monster hit in the UK (1968). It has gained much of its popularity in the U.S. from its use in TV, film, and radio soundtracks. No explicit "holiday" content, yet it has become something of a de facto holiday classic.
  • Something So Strong – the great vocal duet with Michael McDonald from the Some Come Running album. What a talent Capaldi was—a great drummer with a terrific voice, he was a prolific composer, writing tunes not only for Traffic and his own solo work, but for many other artists as well, including Steve Winwood, Bob Marley, The Eagles, Carlos Santana, and many others. He worked with Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Pete Townshend, Joe Walsh, but he's best known for his work with Traffic, and his frequent collaborations with Steve Winwood in subsequent years.
Vito :joker:

One of the greatest albums in the history of rock...

MobyGrapeAlbumCover(clean)300.jpg

:joker:

Earlier this morning I was keeping the nursery during church. I was listening to the joyous sounds of 2 year olds playing!

Later, in the car, we listened to some of the Bob Dylan CD "No Direction Home". I specifically wanted to hear Hiway 61 Revisited.

Then, several tunes from the "Raising Sand" CD from Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. Man, that's good stuff!

Mike

Something a little different tonight, The Black Keys : thickfreakness.
Play it loud and tune out....
B00008PBV2.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

MB,

Ok hot shot. Give me some specific cd recs,

Benny Goodman

Count Bassie

When it comes to music,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't often ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you humbled me and my kick ass stereo.

:lol!:

Tj I'll try. Benny Goodman, recorded with RCA's infamous Dynagroove technology.
Benny_Goodman.jpg

One of my Count Basie favs. with a little help from the chairman of the board.
SINATRA+FRONT.JPG

"Just Over in the Glory Land" David Parmley & Continental Divide...
8) Paul

MB,

Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'll scour Amazon for cd remixes.

I KNOW what those "large" cd's are and am equipped to spin em!

Still HARUMPH!

Sat RIGHT in front of Cannonball in a smoke filled dump called Shelly's Manne-hole in Hollywood in 1965.

:king:

For Carlos:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XoG3TACGXZo" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After reading Brother Vito's hobbling down Memory Lane (Moby Grape? Neil Schon? whose best work I would assert was with Santana), I dredged up tthe first Airplane album. figuring that if the New Year's going to depress me, why not with the Airplane?