What are you listening to?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a rock and roll guy all the way, but can appreciate good music! I'm not above enjoying some Chet Atkins or Les Paul with wife Mary. Check out the Chet Atkins, Mark Knopfler album ,more then a few years back , awesome! But give me Jeff Beck every time! Live @ Ronnie Scotts with your country men Tal Wilkenfeld, she's phenomenal!!!
Wow rj I looked up Tal Wilkenfeld she has played with some legends, even Herby Hancock if I could have a dollar for how many times I played "rock it" over and over in the 80s :cool:(y) Embarrassed I have not heard of her but I am not up with much music past the 1990s :D I will listen to her asap thanks.

Throwing Muses - In a Doghouse (early collection)

I first came across this group with the great and seminal Lonely is an Eyesore 4AD compilation. Their track is really interesting and stands out amongst a more post-punk and "gothy" lineup. It's dark in its own right, but it is high energy in a truly frenzied way. If you've ever seen, or read, an interview with Kristin Hersh, the main songwriter and vocals/guitarist, you're aware of how odd she is. A genuine artist who is not entirely mentally well and is merely tethered to the ground like a hot air balloon. And she can write an album in a couple days, like a Woodie Guthrie type, which is also an appropriate comparison because her style is folky in indie rock form (also a bit like Neil Young in that particular way). Albums with 40 songs and probably had another 40 that someone else made her cut, because she has better things to do than kill her own tracks...just keeps writing songs. And when her songs get really angry, while they're still clearly feminine, the anger is palpable. Pissed off punk kids can often only dream of being that successful with expressing their anger. She went solo after being with the same band members for decades, and even her new work is interesting and worth hearing. She's been doing this since 1981.

I've been going through Mose Allison's back catalogue and have scored a couple of his early and late 60's LPs. Pipe smoking music for sure.