What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cheat by listening to rather than reading books, and usually while driving or hiking. Some recent ones are:

Metamorphosis, by Ovid, and as wryly humerus as it was two millennia ago

Candide, by Voltaire, which shows you can be banished, excommunicated, and numerous other bad things if you write a really good satire

The History of the English Speaking Peoples - Volume 1, by Churchill, who documents the three years between the Roman invasion of England and the reformation that the British weren’t fighting themselves or others

I’ll likely pick up Dune once Audible has another one of their terrific sales.
I do not think of audio books as a cheat. I read voraciously as a child and younger man. As my eyesight becomes worse over time, I find it harder to remain focused on the content of a novel or other reading material. I am constantly reminded, and frustrated, and interrupted by the limitations of reading a blurry page. Glasses do not help as I have retinal damage and astigmatism. Embrace the audio book, it gives access to an art that we might otherwise lose with age.

That being said, I still make the effort to physically read a book. "If you don't use it, you lose it."

Last edited:
I usually have a few readers on the go at any given time, dependant upon what I'm doing. Currently:

Bedtime - The Complete Sherlock Holmes
In the bath - Wilderness Days by Sigurd F. Olson
For breakfast time - The Collected Poetry of Robert Frost.

I even used to have a book on the go for when I went to the little boy's room for any length of time, but my wife got fed up of me disappearing for so long!

Being an English teacher, I place a tremendous value upon books. I would literally go without food before going without books!