What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
index.aspx

:cool:

Cheers,

RR

index.aspx

New author, new style, new stories.

A collection of short stories. All are very odd, some are seemingly without plot or point, and some are bizarre. Don't know what to make of the author at this point but I will say she pulls no punches. Will go on to read a novel of hers next and go from there. :unsure:

Cheers,

RR

Taking a break from 'serious' reading. Chewing on "Monster Hunter - Vendetta," by Larry Correia. Total unabashed escapism, with lots'a guns and guts.

Just took a break from my usual historical reading and read a Christmas gift fiction from a long favorite author, Louise Erdrich (Native American). Loosely based on a historical event, book is called THE NIGHT WATCHMAN. It was really great, butnow I;m back to the history books, just cracked open THE EARTH IS WEEPING by Peter Cozzens while smoking a bowl of Seattle Pipe Club's Rainier Levant. The byline is "The Epic Story of the Indian Wars for the American West". Twenty some odd pages into it, looks promising.

Yes indeed, I concur. And "Wise Blood" is the next one I'll be digging into. She has a unique style which is very much in-yer-face. It wouldn't appeal to some but it does me.

Cheers,

RR
O’Connor is one of my favorites and Wise Blood is just flat out marvelous. She’s got a wicked sense of humor, if you’re attuned to it. I read some of her early work for the first time last year and was blown away by how timeless they are—her story “The Barber” could have been written yesterday (sadly).

Recently finished William Hickey’s Memoirs of a Georgian Rake, and while he never goes in for the pipe many a glass of claret is quaffed. Much more lively and engaging than I would’ve expected the autobiography of a 18th c. lawyer to be.

O’Connor is one of my favorites and Wise Blood is just flat out marvelous. She’s got a wicked sense of humor, if you’re attuned to it. I read some of her early work for the first time last year and was blown away by how timeless they are—her story “The Barber” could have been written yesterday (sadly).

Currently reading Wise Blood and am about 3/4 through. Gotta say it's arguably the strangest and bizarre story I've ever read. Not at all dialed into what the point of this is so far and suspect I won't in the end. That said I am intrigued by it and will persevere to the end. I found most of her short stories in "A Good Man Is Hard To Find and other stories" equally as weird. Some I didn't get at all.

I have several more of her works to get to after this, but that will depend on how I get on with her style. Right now I'm 50/50. And no it's not due to her non-pc writing since I don't subscribe to that nonsense and in any case that wasn't even a blip on the horizon back then.

Cheers,

RR

I’ve been spending time with the Complete Sherlock Holmes, a $0.99 Kindle purchase. I’m not sure if it is, in fact, complete but it is 1748 pages, so a lot of Holmes & Watson. I’m 544 pages in and enjoying the read.

At the moment I am finishing the second part of "The Batzan Trilogy" by Dolores Redondo, Spanish writer, based on the real events that took place in the Pais Vasco, North of Spain,
when a family gave one of their daughters, a baby, to a sect and the subsequent murder of the girl in a ritual that is still not very well clarified, fantastic, it grabs you from the beginning.

It has been taken to the cinema

Attachments

• 91SxQ8jdlpL.jpg
    91SxQ8jdlpL.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 95
Currently reading Wise Blood and am about 3/4 through. Gotta say it's arguably the strangest and bizarre story I've ever read. Not at all dialed into what the point of this is so far and suspect I won't in the end. That said I am intrigued by it and will persevere to the end. I found most of her short stories in "A Good Man Is Hard To Find and other stories" equally as weird. Some I didn't get at all.

I have several more of her works to get to after this, but that will depend on how I get on with her style. Right now I'm 50/50. And no it's not due to her non-pc writing since I don't subscribe to that nonsense and in any case that wasn't even a blip on the horizon back then.

Cheers,

RR
Flannery O'Connor looked a bit, well...more than a bit, like a middle school librarian.
You would not relate her stories to this diminutive schoolmarm appearing woman....

Attachments

• Flannery O'Conner.jpg
    Flannery O'Conner.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 101
Flannery O'Connor looked a bit, well...more than a bit, like a middle school librarian.
You would not relate her stories to this diminutive schoolmarm appearing woman....

Well I made it through Wise Blood as as expected it ended without a conclusion I could understand. The whole novel just sort of rambled one way then another without purpose. Very odd style that I can't say I really enjoy very much. I returned this along with several of her other books without reading. Looks like she just isn't my kind of author.

Cheers?

RR

index.aspx

Very cool account of the first manned moon flight and the events leading up to it. This was not the first moon landing though, that was Apollo 11 later on. But this was a huge milestone and proved the US could send a crew to the moon and get back safely. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

RR

index.aspx

A semi-fictional novel about the very real 1793 Yellow Fever epidemic in Philadelphia, which was the nation's capitol at the time. Based on real people, events, treatments, economic conditions, hardships, and much else. This is a very sobering description of what life was like in 1793 and that general area!

Highly recommended.

Cheers,

RR

index.aspx

Not only a thrilling account of the fastest ride through the Colorado river in the Grand Canyon, but much of the book is dedicated to the discovery of the Colorado and boat runs through it as well as a comprehensive history of the river and the impact of the many dams that were built which contributed to the river's wild nature.

Amazing book, just incredible. Probably the finest story I've read in recent memory. Think it may have been recommended through a post of another brother here on BoB. The author paints a vivid and thrilling picture of the events and characters that bring this to life. Highly recommended!

Cheers,

RR

index.aspx

A semi-fictional novel about the very real 1793 Yellow Fever epidemic in Philadelphia, which was the nation's capitol at the time. Based on real people, events, treatments, economic conditions, hardships, and much else. This is a very sobering description of what life was like in 1793 and that general area!

Highly recommended.

Cheers,

RR
Looks interesting, picking it up for my Kindle