What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
515De0WpucL._AC_UY218_.jpg

:cool:

Cheers,

RR

I just picked up, We were soldiers once, and young. It’s also a movie about a specific conflict during the war., Ia Drang

decided to change it up a bit. I usually read WW2 non fiction and history,

index.aspx

Parts of this were interesting, but most of it was very ponderous. I ended up skimming most of it.

Cheers,

RR
I always thought it was the most readable volume of his version of the history of WWII; tastes vary!

I always thought it was the most readable volume of his version of the history of WWII; tastes vary!

Tastes vary indeed. I found the details excruciating. They were distracting enough for me to become disinterested in short order. Guess I have a short attention span!

OTOH, if one is looking for a play-by-play/moment-by-moment recollection of this period and can absorb all the minutiae this may be for you. It sure wasn't for me.

Based on your assessment of the other Churchill books of the same period I'll be giving them a wide miss. I guess crime/murder/mystery/horror novels are more my speed.

Cheers,

RR

Tastes vary indeed. I found the details excruciating. They were distracting enough for me to become disinterested in short order. Guess I have a short attention span!

OTOH, if one is looking for a play-by-play/moment-by-moment recollection of this period and can absorb all the minutiae this may be for you. It sure wasn't for me.

Based on your assessment of the other Churchill books of the same period I'll be giving them a wide miss. I guess crime/murder/mystery/horror novels are more my speed.

Cheers,

RR
Churchill's style isn't one many current readers are used to, and of course these were written in part to make him a lot of $ and to set out his version of events. (He supposedly said something along the lines of 'I will let history judge me. Of course, I intend to write that history.') Those of us who write about British appeasement have to deal with his version of events in volume i to at least some degree. I think you can see why many people who read his version of WWII read the abridged (one volume) version! (And even that draws more from volume i than the rest of the series.)

I read mostly non-fiction so I rarely look at this thread, but today I happened to see the back and forth between Brewdude and DrT999. I haven't read the book so I can't comment but I will say that I just finished reading Susan Wise Bauer's History of the Ancient World and found it to literally be a page turner that was hard to put down. So yes, tastes obviously vary significantly! :)