What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Einstein- His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson. Big-ass book

Oliver Twist- Charles Dickens This is one of the books in my Mother's huge book
collection. She was an avid reader and I'm sure she read them all. When she
moved out by us, one of her requests was to get a house with an extra bedroom. That room was turned into a library. Every wall had shelves on it and there was also two rows of shelves up the middle of the room. And yes, the shelves were all filled with books!

512utvvO3GL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51AQPJVWHBL._AC_US218_.jpg

Got this from the local library. It's not the text of the book, rather it's an analysis that goes into the conditions and events that surrounded it. As I've been in a WWII kick right now, I figured I needed to check it out.

It clearly sets out the conditions that led up to this and the rise of the Nazi party. Very sobering!

This book makes it clear that the original 2-volume set of "Mein Kampf" was a disjointed and disassociated collection of rants, yet clearly spells out the blueprint that Hitler followed on his misguided and destructive quest for world domination.

No Cheers!

RR

51FH8CFR32L._AC_US218_.jpg

Now re-reading this for the umpteenth time. Guess I reach for it at least once/year and never get tired of it. Seems like I have whole passages of this memorized! Bryson at his best, IMO.

Sadly, the movie did not live up to the expectations I had. Despite Robert Redford and Nick Nolte in the key roles of Bryson and Kath, the screenplay was lacking and didn't follow many key elements that made the book so riveting.

Thankfully the book remains worth returning to again and again!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Over the break, I hope to get through 2 monographs on Roman history: (Praetorian by Guy de la Bedoyere; and The Fate of Rome by Kyle Harper; a biography of Maximinus Thrax (emperor 235-38) by Paul N. Pearson; and a novel I assigned next semester, Parable of Sower by Octavia E. Butler

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

One of the best books I have ever read. Being only 91 pages long, I'll likely read it multiple times.

Brewdude":ku09kis8 said:
51FH8CFR32L._AC_US218_.jpg

Now re-reading this for the umpteenth time. Guess I reach for it at least once/year and never get tired of it. Seems like I have whole passages of this memorized! Bryson at his best, IMO.

Sadly, the movie did not live up to the expectations I had. Despite Robert Redford and Nick Nolte in the key roles of Bryson and Kath, the screenplay was lacking and didn't follow many key elements that made the book so riveting.

Thankfully the book remains worth returning to again and again!

8)

Cheers,

RR
I love this one too Rande. A giggle per page!

51pdj2jt7xL._AC_US218_.jpg

After having seen the movie several times, I figured it was finally time to read the book that inspired it.

Many more details revealed here, and also many inconsistencies with the filmed version! Have to say that at times, the author spun out too many pages of floridly written descriptions that frankly were largely lost or bordering on boring. I kept thinking that he could have used fewer words to say more.

But wtf do I know. I'm not some accredited and recognized critic with rave and celebrated reviews under his belt.

Still, I did enjoy it. And I might get in the movie from the library again soon.

Cheers,

RR