What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
61nGciqjbKL._AC_UL436_.jpg

A true and cautionary tale.

Cheers,

RR

eggman":dhpwrkce said:
I just listened to this audiobook. I liked it a lot. Wasn’t to hard to follow. The only thing I didn’t care much for was when he was telling a story then goes off on a tirade about the U.S. forestry service or some other federal, state or local agencies for 30 minutes. Then eventually get back to his story. Other than that an excellent book. I’ll listen to it again for sure. I like anything pretty much about hiking and the AT.
Listen to his read of In A Sunburned Country, about his travels in Australia. Make sure it's the unabridged one, read by the author. He literally had me bursting out with laughter at times. Bill Bryson is one of our greatest contemporary writers.

phinz":bdx3e15n said:
eggman":bdx3e15n said:
I just listened to this audiobook. I liked it a lot. Wasn’t to hard to follow. The only thing I didn’t care much for was when he was telling a story then goes off on a tirade about the U.S. forestry service or some other federal, state or local agencies for 30 minutes. Then eventually get back to his story. Other than that an excellent book. I’ll listen to it again for sure. I like anything pretty much about hiking and the AT.
Listen to his read of In A Sunburned Country, about his travels in Australia. Make sure it's the unabridged one, read by the author. He literally had me bursting out with laughter at times. Bill Bryson is one of our greatest contemporary writers.

Agree. Bryson is one of my top favorite authors.

Cheers,

RR

41yWBGjC+bL._AC_UL436_.jpg

And then Douglas Preston hits one out of the park! Absolutely fascinating true account. And it all takes place in an area very near where I now live!

Cheers,

RR

I found an app called 'Serial Reader'. It gives a part of the classics you choose once every day. Reading them in serial form is really awesome. Not that I ever had any trouble reading in my life.

With that I am reading things I have always wanted to get to but never had the will. These include The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Meditations by Marcus Aurelius, The Prince, Last of the Mohicans, a boatload of Sherlock Holmes and a lot of others. Every night I go to bed and got the latest edition waiting on the pad. Wonderful stuff.

phinz":sgqiufoh said:
eggman":sgqiufoh said:
Thanks I will definitely check it out. My wife loves his books and has been on me like a diaper to read his stuff. I’ve refused to just to be in defiance of her. We normally do not like the same type of books at all.

This is the last real book I read a little while back. I really enjoy reading Hemingway. His writings are easy to follow and not overly complicated. What’s not to like about books about women, drinking, women, fishing, drinking, hunting, bull fights and did I mention women and drinking.

Cripes Rande, you’re munching through some books. Good for you mate!

Pip pip,

Stick

Stick":v279g5lo said:
Cripes Rande, you’re munching through some books. Good for you mate!

Pip pip,

Stick
Right you are guv, been binge reading them I have! Now working through yet another Pendergast novel. What a great resource our library is and no mistake.

Cheers,

RR

Excellent book that covers the Revolutionary War in North America from the personal perspective of three Germans: Captain John Ewald, Frederika Charlotte Louise von Massow Baroness von Riedesel, and Philipp Waldeck (chaplain). I think this is the first book about the revolution that I've ever read that wasn't from the American perspective. Baroness von Riedesel accompanied her husband on his campaign and kept a personal account; probably the best eyewitness account of the war.

a1pieh.jpg