What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
51RlOu7EDXL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Cheers,

RR

Geez Brewdude you are a reading fool lol takes me more than a week to finish most books lol. Can't wait till I can retire and have more time.

81pDlQFRDML._AC_UL436_.jpg

I gave this a whirl on account of knowing nothing about the man. Have to say that I got bogged down after a couple chapters and gave it up. Waaay too much detail about side events to keep me interested.

Cheers,

RR

510HN1lo7QL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Just re-read this most excellent account of the AAF airmen who fought and put their lives on the line, and lived and died in service to their country and the cause of freedom.

This is the story of the B-17's and B-24's and their crews that were instrumental in the battle against Nazi Germany. Well told and narrated.

My own late Pap was a bomber pilot in that conflict, based out of Britain. He flew his required 35 missions over Germany, Poland, and other Nazi held areas. He was lead pilot in his squadron. Got the distinguished flying cross.

This book primarily involves the air war that took place in Italy. Yet there are many parallels to what my Pap must have been going through. very sobering reading!

Cheers,

RR

41x3XTkvrQL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Somewhat obscure book for many. This was gifted to me by my mate in the UK who lives in the same area this event occurred back in the late 1700's.

Basically it's an account of the men known at that time as "Coiners". They would clip bits off of the edges of coins in circulation and melt them down to re-forge them into counterfeit coins with their stamps and dies. At that time, the legitimate coins did not have perfectly rounded edges as we are used to seeing. So back then it became lucrative for those with the skills to perform this. And the penalty for this crime was death by hanging.

This is the account of one David Hartely who was at that time known locally as "King David" by his friends and followers. He was a Robin Hood in the face of the impending Industrial Revolution. And while he commanded an army of coiners in his district, his end was met at the end of a rope.

Very chilling reading. Perhaps a bit dramatized. But a cautionary tale nonetheless.

Cheers,

RR

I've been reading pretty dry stuff....

Law books. Most notably in regards to the VA.

I need to throw in something lighter soon.

Brewdude":2n38bre7 said:
510HN1lo7QL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Just re-read this most excellent account of the AAF airmen who fought and put their lives on the line, and lived and died in service to their country and the cause of freedom.

This is the story of the B-17's and B-24's and their crews that were instrumental in the battle against Nazi Germany. Well told and narrated.

My own late Pap was a bomber pilot in that conflict, based out of Britain. He flew his required 35 missions over Germany, Poland, and other Nazi held areas. He was lead pilot in his squadron. Got the distinguished flying cross.

This book primarily involves the air war that took place in Italy. Yet there are many parallels to what my Pap must have been going through. very sobering reading!

Cheers,

RR
A great read, Rande. Ambrose is a ‘go to’ for me when researching such things. A nice insight into the adventures of your late Pap, too. A DFC too.

I challenge myself to read at least 100 books a year. Being a teacher is beneficial as I have lots of free time. (When people tell me I’ll never get rich I reply I am rich in free time). Anyway, I just finished several Hardy Boys mysteries and with the recent passing of Ross Perot decided to read On Wings of Eagles again. Next on the list is probably Dead Man’s Walk by Larry McMurtry. I already read Lonesome Dove and Streets of Laredo so two more for that series.

In preparation for future travels I am reading the PACIFIC NORTHWEST with Oregon, Washington & Vancouver by Allison Williams. This book provides descriptions of each location, food and accommodations.

91haXrFtEdL._AC_UY218_QL90_.jpg

OK, so I'm a huge Stephen King fan. HUGE!

His greatest works for me were always "The Shining" first, and "The Green Mile".....both of which I also have as a DVD. I didn't think he could best them until I just completed this amazing work.

This has got to be King at his finest. To say I was captivated by it right away would be a gross understatement. And it held my interest all the way through to the end. It's a very long read, but one worth reading if one likes his style.

And his painstaking research is much in evidence. That much was clear to me since this event rent my world back in '63.

Read it. You'll thank me later.

Cheers,

RR