What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the last book (#28) of the Bolitho series by Alexander Kent....

And dude just got married, he's now down in S. Africa and his buddy shows up in his ship off Cornwall and tries to smooch up on his wife!?!?

I was pissed... had to read 2 more chapters last night.

Into the Bluegrass

Art and Artistry of Kentucky's Historic Icons.

Mel Stewart Hankla, Ed.D

Being a poor student of history, this caught my eye when there was a request for funding the project.  So I got in on the signature edition.  I had a little mowing money burning a hole in my pocket.  This fits with some family history and a part of American history which is barely mentioned in school.  Lots of photos of artistic items.  Mostly flintlock rifles, horns, knives.  A collection of stories.  Makes for good reading.

http://www.intothebluegrass.net/

Carlos":191ir6lr said:
Into the Bluegrass

Mel Stewart Hankla, Ed.D

Being a poor student of history, this caught my eye when there was a request for funding the project.  So I got in on the signature edition.  I had a little mowing money burning a hole in my pocket.  This fits with some family history and a part of American history which is barely mentioned in school.  Lots of photos of artistic items.  Mostly flintlock rifles, horns, knives.  A collection of stories.  Makes for good reading.

Wow, small world. I'm just finishing it up.  I was one of the subscribing members too.  My name is in the front, probably with yours.

SteveMKentucky":09ryh4er said:
Carlos":09ryh4er said:
Into the Bluegrass

Mel Stewart Hankla, Ed.D

Wow, small world. I'm just finishing it up.  I was one of the subscribing members too.  My name is in the front, probably with yours.
My first name is Gregory. So many Greg's on the forums, it was easier in the pipe world to use my middle name. It seemed like such a worthwhile project, I could not resist. I am just half way through the book. Really trying to absorb it. Who does not like a photo of some nice flintlocks? And there are a lot of nice photos of great collectors pieces in this book.

Carlos":bu2znouz said:
SteveMKentucky":bu2znouz said:
Carlos":bu2znouz said:
Into the Bluegrass

Mel Stewart Hankla, Ed.D

My first name is Gregory.  So many Greg's on the forums, it was easier in the pipe world to use my middle name.  It seemed like such a worthwhile project, I could not resist.  I am just half way through the book.  Really trying to absorb it.  Who does not like a photo of some nice flintlocks?  And there are a lot of nice photos of great collectors pieces in this book.
I'm building a rifle inspired by the L&W Bryan rifle in that book now.  Mel is a personal friend of mine.  He entrusted the rifle to me to examine, measure, trace and photograph.  What a night.

81uEtdjz9KL._AC_UY218_.jpg

On a roll with the Sandford novels right now.

Cheers,

RR

91RAV6BtwaL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Whew! Took a while to finish this. Much of it was dependent on the reader being able to understand complex physics, which I am most definitely not able to do.

Early on I determined I'd be along for the ride and let the tech stuff go over my head. I got the general idea more or less in most cases.

Cheers,

RR

I'm a Kindle Unlimited subscriber, for better or worse, and so I read a lot of books that I put into the category of "mindless crime novels". By that I mean I don't have to think too deeply or plan on remembering much past completion of the book. I've done enough heavy reading to last my remaining lifetime. That is also not to say that I don't enjoy the books and/or the writer's skill; some of them are great. Others, not spectacular, but passable.
Most lately, I've been reading the David Sloane series by Robert Dugoni. I put him in the more toward great than not category. He writes well and his books have a page turner kind of quality to them. He also knows when a character has run his/her course and moves on.

Rafael Sabatini's "Scaramouche".

They need to do a 1 yr series on this at pbs.