What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D09E87E6-D488-47DB-B6E7-9C0D17DC15D2.jpeg

OK - I've noticed a plethora of books by C J Box being mentioned here. I've never heard of this author. Can anybody giveme a basic summary of what his books (they look to be a series?) are like/about?

OK - I've noticed a plethora of books by C J Box being mentioned here. I've never heard of this author. Can anybody giveme a basic summary of what his books (they look to be a series?) are like/about?

C.J. Box is a resident of WY and his novels have a lot to do with that state, the wildlife, scenery, geography, and the rough and tumble characters that can often be found in the rural areas. Many of his books focus on the exploits of Joe Pickett who is a game warden and has many adventures as well as misadventures.

Box has a very down to earth style and brings his characters to life as well as putting in various plot arcs and twists which are very cleverly done. Some of his books about Pickett are very earthy and gritty. And being as Box lives in WY he is a natural to describe the various areas in a way which brings them to life. I'm on a tear right now to read the entire series of Joe Pickett novels as well as some of his other works.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

There is a TV Series called Big Sky playing now based on a book by him, didn’t see the first episode but tuned in to the second, looks worth the while.

C.J. Box is a resident of WY and his novels have a lot to do with that state, the wildlife, scenery, geography, and the rough and tumble characters that can often be found in the rural areas. Many of his books focus on the exploits of Joe Pickett who is a game warden and has many adventures as well as misadventures.

Box has a very down to earth style and brings his characters to life as well as putting in various plot arcs and twists which are very cleverly done. Some of his books about Pickett are very earthy and gritty. And being as Box lives in WY he is a natural to describe the various areas in a way which brings them to life. I'm on a tear right now to read the entire series of Joe Pickett novels as well as some of his other works.

HTH

Cheers,

RR
Sounds good, kinda like Tony Hillman's Joe Leaphorn charcter, in a way. OK, I'm definitely game. What book should I start with?

Since the series with game warden Joe Pickett features so large in Box' catalog you might get in the first in the series to get you grounded with the kinds of issues Joe has to deal with. I would therefore recommend Open Season:

index.aspx

Cheers,

RR

My daughter gave me...The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter by Theodora Goss. This Nebula and other awards nominee surrounds the extraordinary adventures of Dr. Jekyll’s daughter who is hunting Mr. Hyde...with the help of Holmes & Watson...meeting other notables along the merry way...including a Frankenstein (Shelley) a Moreau (H. G. Wells) and a Rappaccini (Hawthorne)...etc., etc., etc. Good fun.

1B7CE4DB-ED34-41C1-86E0-68DBE8D4FB3D.jpeg

My daughter gave me...The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter by Theodora Goss. This Nebula and other awards nominee surrounds the extraordinary adventures of Dr. Jekyll’s daughter who is hunting Mr. Hyde...with the help of Holmes & Watson...meeting other notables along the merry way...including a Frankenstein (Shelley) a Moreau (H. G. Wells) and a Rappaccini (Hawthorne)...etc., etc., etc. Good fun.

View attachment 254
Hmmm, good idea for a Christmas present for my wife. She enjoys reading all these historical period fictions, especially Sherlock related. Thanks for the idea, I've been scratching my head this year for ideas! :)

Hmmm, good idea for a Christmas present for my wife. She enjoys reading all these historical period fictions, especially Sherlock related. Thanks for the idea, I've been scratching my head this year for ideas! :)
If that’s the case...I assume she’s read the incredible series of books by Laurie R King starting with, “The Beekeeper’s Apprentice” in which Holmes befriends then marries a far younger woman with great deductive skills of her own.

86D6048B-2834-43D9-8914-F6DEE323F8AE.jpeg

If that’s the case...I assume she’s read the incredible series of books by Laurie R King starting with, “The Beekeeper’s Apprentice” in which Holmes befriends then marries a far younger woman with great deductive skills of her own.

View attachment 274
Thanks for the ideas, I ordered both Beekeeper and Alchemist today along with some antique owl bookends for her growing collection. Now with that done I can relax and have a pipe!

OMG...so she hasn’t read the Laurie R King books. You’ll be a hero! King is incredible. Huge following. And in her Holmes series she does a perfect job of writing language, syntax, grammar, etc. in a very very close style to Dr. Watson...oops! I mean Arthur Conan Doyle. They are best read in the proper order.

Started Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man by Mary Trump. I don’t know if I will finish it as so far it is quite repetitive.

index.aspx

Not in the Joe Pickett series, rather this concerns itself with a woman ex-cop private investigator set in Wyoming and Montana. And Box still has a way of making you feel like you are there with his detailed description of the areas. This one was particularly gritty!

Cheers,

RR

Shepherding a child's heart by Tedd Trip

Having three boys in three years really knocked us for six so to speak, so it's taken us a while to adjust to parenthood. We've mostly been holding on by the seat of our pants, so we're feeling the need for some real input on the basics 😅

Screenshot_20201211-135013.png

index.aspx

A superb collection of short stories from Box, most of which encompass story lines and subjects that are at variance with his usual fare. Box is a master storyteller. If you ever want to dip your toe into his work, look no further than this to get a sample of his style.

Cheers,

RR