What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
index.aspx

Good story but pretty creepy!

Cheers,

RR

OMG...so she hasn’t read the Laurie R King books. You’ll be a hero! King is incredible. Huge following. And in her Holmes series she does a perfect job of writing language, syntax, grammar, etc. in a very very close style to Dr. Watson...oops! I mean Arthur Conan Doyle. They are best read in the proper order.
Wow, both books a huge hit. She's already completely immersed in one of them, leaving me alone to enjoy some Figgy Pudding in a pipe! Good call! :D

If that’s the case...I assume she’s read the incredible series of books by Laurie R King starting with, “The Beekeeper’s Apprentice” in which Holmes befriends then marries a far younger woman with great deductive skills of her own.

View attachment 274
Loved the series. As a Sherlockian, seldom pass up a new take on the master.

First Principles: What America's Founders Learned from the Greeks and Romans and How that Shaped Our Country by Thomas E. Ricks. If you know nothing about ancient political thought, the Enlightenment, and how those influenced 18th century American thought, and remember a bit of US history, you might find it very interesting. If we still had the same standards as 20 years ago (and so could assign more than a textbook and one other source to a sophomore class without inciting rebellion) it would have been a good assignment for my US I class last semester.

1609097420783.png
The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark

I pick this book up every few years to read again. Either in part or cover to cover. Must have been reading about 50 years now.

index.aspx

OK, so while not a proper book this collection of Calvin strips has me lol for real! Watterson was a genius in his realm - story lines, illustrations, subtle comments on humanity, etc. Calvin is the quintessential kid with a vivid imagination.

:LOL:

Cheers,

RR

index.aspx

OK, so while not a proper book this collection of Calvin strips has me lol for real! Watterson was a genius in his realm - story lines, illustrations, subtle comments on humanity, etc. Calvin is the quintessential kid with a vivid imagination.

:LOL:

Cheers,

RR
Best comics ever in my opinion

"On The Plain of Snakes" by Paul Theroux
ReReading....Truly one of the most insightful books into modern Mexico & Central America I have read.

Light reading:
"Clanlands" by Heughan & Mctavish

51pdj2jt7xL._AC_US218_.jpg

After having seen the movie several times, I figured it was finally time to read the book that inspired it.

Many more details revealed here, and also many inconsistencies with the filmed version! Have to say that at times, the author spun out too many pages of floridly written descriptions that frankly were largely lost or bordering on boring. I kept thinking that he could have used fewer words to say more.

But wtf do I know. I'm not some accredited and recognized critic with rave and celebrated reviews under his belt.

Still, I did enjoy it. And I might get in the movie from the library again soon.

Cheers,

RR
Dickey can sometimes become engrossed in minutiae like Melville.
In their defense, they want the reader to smell the salt air, or for Dickey, hear the moving water and smell the musty leaves.

Oliver Twist- Charles Dickens This is one of the books in my Mother's huge book
collection. She was an avid reader and I'm sure she read them all. When she
moved out by us, one of her requests was to get a house with an extra bedroom. That room was turned into a library. Every wall had shelves on it and there was also two rows of shelves up the middle of the room. And yes, the shelves were all filled with books!
If you enjoy Dickens...should you make it to London, go to his house.
It's a wonderful journey into his life and world....https://dickensmuseum.com