What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
index.aspx

Not only a thrilling account of the fastest ride through the Colorado river in the Grand Canyon, but much of the book is dedicated to the discovery of the Colorado and boat runs through it as well as a comprehensive history of the river and the impact of the many dams that were built which contributed to the river's wild nature.

Amazing book, just incredible. Probably the finest story I've read in recent memory. Think it may have been recommended through a post of another brother here on BoB. The author paints a vivid and thrilling picture of the events and characters that bring this to life. Highly recommended!

:cool:

Cheers,

RR
That looks in my wheelhouse, Rande!

The Beckoning Silence, by Joe Simpson, author of Touching the Void.

Simpson is such talented writer. This book is a montage of his mountaineering experiences that builds to him tackling his calling, the north face of the Eiger.

re-reading the "Bolitho" series by Alexander Kent (Douglas Reeman).
a lot of "Nautical Fiction/Age of Sail era" fans (Hornblower, Aubrey, Kydd, Lewrie, Ramage series', etc) aren't fans of this series, and I don't understand why. i know a lot of those that read up until book 24+ weren't happy when a certain someone died, but... hey, the stories continued (for a handful more books, and were just as good).

Thought I would reply to this, more for my own view since late fall.

Currently w/the children: The Magicians Nephew (Book 1 of the Chronicles of Narnia) by C.S. Lewis
Currently my own reading: St. Thomas Aquinas by G.K. Chesterton

Recently Finished w/the children: The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini ("Eragon", "Eldest", "Brisinger", "Inheritance", "The Fork, The Witch, and the Worm")
Recently Finished on my own: The Confessions of St. Augustine by St. Augustine, An Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis De Sales, An Exorcist Explains the Demonic, Theology for Beginners by Frank Sheed

Hmm, the Kindle site has so many and there is a prequel that is after several of the first books to get to know him. I haven't made it that far yet. There does seem to be a recurring character in the first three books as well. The first is Along Came a Spider, then Kiss the Girls, both were made into movies. I just finished Jack and Jill.

Hmm, the Kindle site has so many and there is a prequel that is after several of the first books to get to know him. I haven't made it that far yet. There does seem to be a recurring character in the first three books as well. The first is Along Came a Spider, then Kiss the Girls, both were made into movies. I just finished Jack and Jill.

Thanx Matt.

Cheers,

RR

Having just read Peter Cozzens' THE EARTH IS WEEPING and TECUMSEH AND THE PROPHET, both excellent historical tomes on various aspects of Native American history I'm taking a break from my usual American historical reading and am halfway through a great little book by Alexandra Fuller, SCRIBBLING THE CAT (Travels with an African Soldier). Very well written.

51G6m91anCL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This was gifted to me by an old UK mate. Pure satire and farcical. From the description -

Henry Wilt, tied to a daft job and a domineering wife, has just been passed over for promotion yet again. Ahead of him at the Polytechnic stretch years of trying to thump literature into the heads of plasterers, joiners, butchers and the like. And things are no better at home where his massive wife, Eva, is given to boundle.

I have no idea what "boundle" here means! But the book itself is somewhat crude in parts, yet dissolves into an absurd mystery. Sharpe also wrote "Blott On The Landscape" which was made into a TV series in the UK.

Cheers,

RR

Last edited:
index.aspx

Just couldn't get into this one. The author is Scottish and much of the dialogue has Scottish slang which was lost on me. The story line seemed to ramble as well.

Cheers?

RR

Well I made it through Wise Blood as as expected it ended without a conclusion I could understand. The whole novel just sort of rambled one way then another without purpose. Very odd style that I can't say I really enjoy very much. I returned this along with several of her other books without reading. Looks like she just isn't my kind of author.

Cheers?

RR

I've enjoyed the work of many southern writers: Carson McCullers, Corman McCarthy, Faulkner of course, etc. etc. etc. But Flannery O'Conner left me pretty cold, and I once tried to read (but did not finish) A Confederacy of Dunces, the highly touted book John Kennedy Toole, which I found to be one of the most insipid wastes of my time that I can recall.

The last year of working at/from home has reignited my love of reading. For about a decade intil about a year ago I’ve read nothing but Civil War histories and other nonfiction. I’ve read so many novels in the last year and it’s been great.

Early on in the lockdown my interests were very appropriate - One Second After and subsequent books by William Forstchen, then Jack Carr’s series beginning with The Terminal List. All recommended lightweight reading.

Lately I read Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry, a beautifully moving book. I’m in the middle of Angle of Repose because so many have recommended it, and it’s very good too.

Lastly, my wife visited Oklahoma City to scope out a new life for us post-California. She bought me a book to convince me to take it seriously as a place to settle down forever. It’s called Boom Town, and it’s well written and engaging (aside from all the deep basketball talk - not interested), but if the goal was to have me want to move there...it ain’t doing the trick.