What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found it slow in the beginning and I gave up on it. Does it get better or is it just not my cup of tea?
I think it's crucial to get the right translation. Some of them are really stilted with poor word choices, and it takes you out of the story.

Pevear and Volokhonsky have a more fluid, conversational writing style that (I'm told) better captures the essence of the original than earlier standard translations. They have a great translation of Crime and Punishment too.

That said, it may also not be your cup of tea. It's a bit dense, but I found the story engaging right from the beginning, so that makes up for it for me. It also has a dry humor that catches you off guard periodically.

And It definitely does continue to get better. I'd recommend wading through the beginning even if you find it slow. I had that experience with Crime and Punishment, but once it picked up I couldn't put it down.

Collected Poems by John Ashbury. My favorite modern poet.
1685984793030367785726169775321.jpg

I cheat by listening to rather than reading books, and usually while driving or hiking. Some recent ones are:

Metamorphosis, by Ovid, and as wryly humerus as it was two millennia ago

Candide, by Voltaire, which shows you can be banished, excommunicated, and numerous other bad things if you write a really good satire

The History of the English Speaking Peoples - Volume 1, by Churchill, who documents the three years between the Roman invasion of England and the reformation that the British weren’t fighting themselves or others

I’ll likely pick up Dune once Audible has another one of their terrific sales.

I cheat by listening to rather than reading books, and usually while driving or hiking. Some recent ones are:

Metamorphosis, by Ovid, and as wryly humerus as it was two millennia ago

Candide, by Voltaire, which shows you can be banished, excommunicated, and numerous other bad things if you write a really good satire

The History of the English Speaking Peoples - Volume 1, by Churchill, who documents the three years between the Roman invasion of England and the reformation that the British weren’t fighting themselves or others

I’ll likely pick up Dune once Audible has another one of their terrific sales.
I'm with you on that one Buddy, I prefer to listen than read

Years ago in my college day, when Jesus walked the Earth I did a research paper on Capone. He was a fascinating crook.
I used to be on the road 2-3 hours every day and Audible was my fast friend. I still listen but in much smaller pieces. Currently slogging though Churchill's History of WWII

51AQPJVWHBL._AC_US218_.jpg

Got this from the local library. It's not the text of the book, rather it's an analysis that goes into the conditions and events that surrounded it. As I've been in a WWII kick right now, I figured I needed to check it out.

It clearly sets out the conditions that led up to this and the rise of the Nazi party. Very sobering!

This book makes it clear that the original 2-volume set of "Mein Kampf" was a disjointed and disassociated collection of rants, yet clearly spells out the blueprint that Hitler followed on his misguided and destructive quest for world domination.

No Cheers!

RR
I was in Berlin several years ago and in a book shop picked up a book on the Nazis in Berlin. Interesting, the gave points I never read before. 1) Berliners did not like or trust him. Hilter's base was Munich. 2) It wasn't until Stalin's agents disrupted businesses in Berlin and elsewhere that the people of Berlin got scared about Communist subversion and the "little corporal's" message started to appeal to them. Little did they realize his true megalomania until it was too late. Bottom line: Communist subversion, directed by Stalin also played a huge role in Hitler rise to power.

Just re-read this for a second time-

51o1c9A3vUL._AC_US218_.jpg

A very comprehensive account of the Islay distilleries, complete with many detailed chapters of the nature and accounts of the Illeachs (native residents) who reside there.

The author Andrew Jefford is well spoken and has obviously done his homework. I say this due to having visited Islay in '01 for the Whisky Festival over the course of a full week, where I was fortunate to tour all of the distilleries on a very personal basis.

Jefford's accounts are spot on, and his narrative is engaging and informative. In short, if one is an Islay aficionado this is a must read.

Highly recommended!

Cheers,

RR
Good to know. I was there in 2016 and being somewhere written about makes it more interesting.

Is Atheism Dead? Eric Metaxas. The author takes on the Four Horseman of the New Atheism -Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dernnett and Sam Harris with arguments from nanoscience and quantum physics. The author also spotlights the stories of some of the best scientists of the last century -and former leading atheists-whose scholarship and intellectual honesty eventually lead them to accept a created universe. This book has been a #1 best seller and has been translated into 25 languages.

Captain Stormfield’s Visit to Heaven - Mark Twain

Free on-line:

https://freeclassicebooks.com/Mark Twain/Captain Stormfield's Visit to Heaven.pdf

I’m half way through this short story having spent an hour or so last night reading it. Typical Twain in that it’s entertaining without being exhausting, funny without being snarky. I don’t know how the second half will read, but so far it’s nice break from heavier meals.