What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently reading, for the millionth time, Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Mike

Last night I finished the third, and last, volume of Shelby Foote's The Civil War. Each book of the trilogy was over a thousand pages each! I read them over a span of about a year, reading a little each night. I took a few weeks off in between each volume. Reading every word of this awesome set of books was a goal of mine for a while. The reading is a little slow at first, until you get used to his writing style. I highly recommend them to anybody interested in USA Civil War history. Fun to read while smoking a pipe!

Bill, Shelby Foote's work is awesome!

Right now I am reading a FAFSA form........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does looking through a catalogue qualify as "reading"? :scratch:

If so, I'm "READING" the new Cabelas Catalogue. And dreaming about duck hunting! I can't wait!

Lucky

Curently reading A Case for Christ, by Lee Stobel. An interesting perspective from an initially atheist investigative journalist who made his living as a reporter on the crime scene in Chicago.

Hp
Meer
:flower:

Meerorbriar":n8luovyg said:
Curently reading A Case for Christ, by Lee Stobel. An interesting perspective from an initially atheist investigative journalist who made his living as a reporter on the crime scene in Chicago.

Hp
Meer
:flower:
Great apologetic!

Thank you! Tracked them down at Amazon; those three are going down my list next.

I am currently reading the Complete Sherlock Holmes collection: apart from the obvious, it gives a good insight into the Victorians and some old fashioned English.

Bill D":0wdbnxn0 said:
Last night I finished the third, and last, volume of Shelby Foote's The Civil War. Each book of the trilogy was over a thousand pages each! I read them over a span of about a year, reading a little each night. I took a few weeks off in between each volume. Reading every word of this awesome set of books was a goal of mine for a while. The reading is a little slow at first, until you get used to his writing style. I highly recommend them to anybody interested in USA Civil War history. Fun to read while smoking a pipe!

"The Minuteman: Restoring an Army of the People", by Gary Hart.

It's time to restore the Constitutional Militia before it is too late!

Kea":khqm7q7e said:
Thank you! Tracked them down at Amazon; those three are going down my list next.

I am currently reading the Complete Sherlock Holmes collection: apart from the obvious, it gives a good insight into the Victorians and some old fashioned English.
Hi Kea. It definitely gives one an insight on life during those times here in the US. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

luckydogguy":hst4fgia said:
Does looking through a catalogue qualify as "reading"? :scratch:

If so, I'm "READING" the new Cabelas Catalogue. And dreaming about duck hunting! I can't wait!

Lucky
Hey Lucky,

Have you ever read any of Gordon MacQuarrie's books? If you're dreaming about duck hunting already, you'll love his books.

Jim

Just recently finished Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz.

Hi Kea. It definitely gives one an insight on life during those times here in the US. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
Hi Bill, Good to know that Mr. Doyle was getting it right about US ( sometimes that's not the case).

Cheers

Currently reading The Virtues of War by Stephen Pressfield. It's an historical novel of Alexander the Great's conquests. I've been interested in that period of history and after reading the "true" histories available, this book seemed like a good way to provide the drama histories tend to lack. Pressfield did a good job, a good read if you're into this kind of thing.

Currently waiting on George R.R. Martin's next offering in the Song of Fire and Ice saga. Good stuff if you're into fantasy at all and 4 thick books to read while awaiting the next installment.

Also have going From Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun and am slowly but surely whittling away at Penguin's A History of the World.

I'm half way through February's "Pipe Collector" newsletter put out By "The North American Society of Pipe Collectors"... If you folks don't currently subscribe you're really missing out on a great read....

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

hazmat":a59ncts5 said:
Currently reading The Virtues of War by Stephen Pressfield. It's an historical novel of Alexander the Great's conquests. I've been interested in that period of history and after reading the "true" histories available, this book seemed like a good way to provide the drama histories tend to lack. Pressfield did a good job, a good read if you're into this kind of thing.
I am taking note. BTW, have you read "The Peloponesian War" by Donald Kagan? Historical book witten in a very fluent and accessible way.

Currently waiting on George R.R. Martin's next offering in the Song of Fire and Ice saga. Good stuff if you're into fantasy at all and 4 thick books to read while awaiting the next installment.
Waiting? I am agonising! :roll: I discover the series in Christmas 06, read the four books in about two months, full steam ahead .... and going to a sudden stop as the 5th book was still in the air.
At R.R. Martin's site, back in Feb 07, it seemed as if Summer 07 was the release date, now it seems that we will be lucky if by late 08 . Go on , Santa! Make my Christmas! :cyclops:

Status
Not open for further replies.