What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Presently half way through "I Love My Rifle More Than You". Very interesting tome about a former Female soldier and her views of having served in Iraq. Interesting.
Andy

I think it is fair to say that currently I am studying this forum and quite busy reading a billion posts. So much to learn, so little tobacco in my cellar.

"Studies in the Lankavatara Sutra" by D.T.Suzuki,and also looking through Grandmaster Wally Jay's "Small Circle Jiu Jitsu" to see if I've missed anything big.....I get up an hour early to read,sometimes I have to greet an early rising tot instead.My kids are mutants-don't need much sleep!!!!
LIFE IS GOOD!!!!! :D :D :D
Tony

Right at the moment I'm working my way through the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. A very good tale. Not very much like his other books and I think that is what I like about it.

Declare, by Tim Powers. Bought the book a few years ago, when he came to town on a book tour. Only now started it.

I've just finished "The Day of Battle" by Rick Atkinson,the war in Sicily and Italy
1943-44.Excellent writing,holds your interest.
I'm recovering from a hernia surgery for the next few weeks and now I can get to a lot of books.How I love reading while smoking a churchwarden pipe!I let it rest on my chest as I enjoy bowl after tasty bowl.

Winslow

Death on a Friday Afternoon by Richard John Neuhaus

Heretics of dune by Frank herbert. this series makes you smarterer! :lol!: the long view, yes the long view.the TPSE book 2. wow! i have had it for a month and i see this taking me a year or more! such info, such camaraderie, such pipe lore! someone should scan this in to the puter for all to read and enjoy. also finishing Studies in ancient germanic philology, 1899. intersting for those of us who monitor the old agument of where the ancient germanic tribes came up with runic script. Become a better you by Joel Osteen a gift from a lady friend ( she tryin to tell me somethin' ? ) A History of the Dvorak keyboard by r. craigs, the instruction manual to my new phone, an htc touch phone, the owners manual to my sony vaio, my faithful copy of The Federalist Papers, :study: :study: :study: the latest bio of Der Maestro Ldwig Van Beethoven, ummm i think thats it for now!!!!! READING leads to THOUGHT, THOUGHT leads to ACTION< ACTION leads to EXPERIENCE, and EXPERIENCE leads the LUCKY to WISDOM.

Forgot one: Fundamentals of Spectroscopy textbook. did you know that modern science can tell the Exact chemical composition of a thing just by the light reflected off of it?

The Bloody Ground by Bernard Cornwell. It's a work of Civil War historical fiction. Cornwell's one of the best in the biz when it comes to this genre. No messing about, just page-turning goodness.

Also, working on a few by Jonathan Lethem, Motherless Brooklyn and Gun, With Occassional Music.

William Manchester's "One Brief Shining Moment."

Mike

Nemisis by Max Hastings,1944-1945 final year of war with Japan.Great read,
specially for me as father served in Pacific with Halsey.

Winslow

"The Root of QiGong"a textbook on growing more integrated and vital through cultivation of Qi(chi).
Respectfully,Tony

lewtang":hc0muasu said:
I'm almost half way through Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. For me it seems like this book is fascinating for a bit then turns incredibly boring for a bit. .
Totally agree! She could have said what she wanted to say in 400 pages less...

I am now reading The Age of Turbulence by Alan Greenspan, who sings a lot of praise to Ayn Rand calling her one of the people who influenced him the most...

Daemon by Leinad Zeraus (Check his name backwards)

I'm only a quarter into this book at it is awesome. It does get somewhat technical but if you understand it at all it's quite thought provoking. I haven't read anything yet that couldn't be done if someone was inclined. It puts techno thrillers like Swordfish to shame with it's realism and yet still remains quite fantastic.

http://thedaemon.com/

'John Adams'. David McCullough.

A supposed history of Mr Adams from the Revolution to ??the end of his Presidency? Death? I have just started on it, I don't know at what point it ends.

Queen Victoria's Little Wars by Byron Farwell.

An intel professional friend of mine gave me this book to read. It provides fascinating insight into the psychology of "empire" and into the Victorian British mindset, as well. There are some hilarious characters and tragic fools who have somehow gained command of armies and peoples. Thank God we're beyond that today.....

Stone of Tears

The second book of Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series. I just bought the first book 2 weeks ago, only 10 left. =]

If any of you are into fantasy series', absolutely fantastic.

American Transcendentalism by Philip F. Gura. On a lighter note, James Lee Burke's new novel Swan Peak is next up.

Status
Not open for further replies.