What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just dipped a toe into the Wastelands by Stephen King,

you go Roland and find that dark tower!!!

Carl Hiaasen's "Double Whammy"
I'm working my way through all his Books. Great Florida author.

Guillotine: Its Legends and Lore by Daniel Gerould

SmokeyTweed":w1jolj9y said:

If you make it to the book past Wizard and Glass in this series, do me a favor and let me know. I think it's called Wolves of Caala or something like that. I stopped following it after Wizard and Glass. Just seemed to be going off on tangents that I couldn't follow. But as I've started the series, I think I'd like to finish it. Just don't want to have to beg for the hours of my life back! :)

Currently reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Excellent book. Desolate and frightening and tender all at the same time. I guess a movie's coming out based on it sometime next year.

For the "I don't know how many times" - Sons and Lovers, D. H. Lawrence.

I just love this book. Imagine my surprise 34 years ago, when it turned up on the syllabus for my "A" Level English exam. For me, Lawrence is the master novelist.

Alan :pipe:

hazmat":7r4m0us8 said:
SmokeyTweed":7r4m0us8 said:

If you make it to the book past Wizard and Glass in this series, do me a favor and let me know. I think it's called Wolves of Caala or something like that. I stopped following it after Wizard and Glass. Just seemed to be going off on tangents that I couldn't follow. But as I've started the series, I think I'd like to finish it. Just don't want to have to beg for the hours of my life back! :)
Will do Hazmat, will do.

I will finish the series and i've already been forwarned that the wolves of Calla is dull but the sixth book "Songs of Susannah" might possibly be the most boring book of all time, though i hear that the Dark Tower makes up for it in a big way.

I have up to Wizard and Glass, missing Wolves of Caala and have Song of Susannah. Every time I run across Wolves, I can never muster up the strength to purchase it and end up getting something else, instead. Going to have to check into it, I guess.

Varible star by Robert A Heinlein, Spider Robinson.
Just got done reading

Neuromance by .. i forgot.
Theif of Time by Tery Pratchet
Brisinger by Chistoper Paolini
Neverwhere by Neil Giamen

all of these in the past month.. had a few books on the reading list to plow through.

My Winter 2008 copy of Pipes & Tobaccos Magazine! There's a truly excellent artice by Fred Hanna and Tad Gage about vintage tobacco!

A few weeks ago, I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy in about a week and then read Monster by Frank Peretti in about two weeks. Currently, I'm working my way through East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

The Road was a beautifully written book. I can't think of a book I've read that's better.

Monster was entertaining and easy to read. Overall, a decent book that's just a fun read.

East of Eden is at times drudging with info dumps and stiffened with awkward dialogue, but at times it takes on the tone of a masterpiece. So far, it's fair at best. I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm only half way through.

I just finally picked up The Company by Robert Littel. The first 50 pages were engrossing, drunk CIA agent in Berlin, moles, paranoia and a quick "rendering" with a silenced gun pulled off a dead Italian solider years before. Shakespeare eat you heart out!

Finished Goodwin's Team of Rivals--although rather long (757 pages), it is a wonderful examination of Lincoln, his cabinet and the political considerations of that period.

Also, read in a single sitting Rick Newcombe's In Search of Pipe Dreams. Easy to read--it filled in some gaps in my knowledge. Always something to learn about pipes.

Currently reading Obama's Dreams of My Father.

Seeing how I work at a used book store, the books I read are generally decided upon by what we have in stock...

Currently, I am reading Sackett's Land, by Louis LaMour and The Minority Report and Other Classic Stories by Philip K. Dick.

I'm also reading the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer (Riddicule away if you must...but a woman is entitled to her guilty pleasures even if those pleasures are poorly written).

:study:

Just started The Widows of Eastwick, John Updike's sequel to The Witches of Eastwick. I've always been a reader of Updike--one of our finest novelists ever.

Irene Adler":yvw990hw said:
Currently, I am reading Sackett's Land, by Louis LaMour
Irene,

If you get a chance the rest of the Sacketts series is quite good. The wife bought the series about 10 yeas ago and I have read it several times through.

I am currently reading the "Winning of America" series by Allan W. Eckert. Great historical novels. I had bought the first installment last year and received the rest of the series for Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.