What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Blaze" by Stephen King when he was writing as Richard Bachman.

Richard Burley":8wzae3uh said:
Re-reading A Town Like Alice, perhaps my favorite Nevil Shute novel. Anyone else read him, other than youse Brits? I believe he's known to the typical Americano for On the Beach, if for anything at all. I like his books for their lack of weirdos, and their quiet heroism.
I've only read ON THE BEACH, and it devastated me. Will look into A Town Like Alice. Thanks.

Always wanted to go back and re-read two of my most favorite books from my childhood - The adventures of Tom Sawyer, and The adventures of Huckeberry Finn.

The local library had them, and spent the past week re-acquainting myself with them, as they really captured my imagination when I was a young 'un.

Have to say I enjoyed both books immensely, and found them hard to put down. Found that I remembered some of the story lines, but had forgotten many more. So it was sort of like reading them for the first time.

Guess I came away with a new respect for Samuel Clements and the way he could weave magic into the storyline, told from the perspective of two young boys growing up in that era.

I also remember watching the B&W or colourized movies versions of these, which apparently are on the tube. Never watched a full length movie there before, but maybe this is a good time to start.

Too bad the computer screen is so small in comparison to a wide screen TV, but I don't have the technical know how to do that. Oh well.

Cheers,

RR

I've been reading some HP Lovecraft short stories. I've got big book collection of his stories called Necronomicon. Pretty great stuff, although very old fashioned style of short stories. Sometimes he tries to hold off some horrific reveal or twist until the last line but it feels like everyone should have figured out that big reveal like 2 pages ago when it was made obvious so the twist doesn't hit very hard.

I'm still enjoying them quite a bit and I enjoy an older style of literature with a pipe quite a bit. It just seems more thematically appropriate.

As a recommendation From Hell by Alan Moore is a fantastic Graphic Novel to read while smoking a pipe although be warned that it's extremely long winded at times and a bit esoteric. But it really captures a sort of perfect manic madness in trademark Alan Moore style that makes it well worth the read.

Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain

This will be my first adult experience with Twain since Huck Finn in high school.

Bemused":df86awpr said:

This will be my first adult experience with Twain since Huck Finn in high school.

Never read it. Always wanted to. Looks like I'll check this out of the library next.

Thanks for the reminder Bemused!

Cheers,

RR

America Alone, by Mark Steyn. Brilliant commentary on western civilization sacrificing itself to a primitive death cult.

"Hearts In Atlantis" by Stephen King. :study:

Been further pursuing my long held interest in all things Titantic. Just finished up a set of 3 books on that event. One was an expedition to the wreck in a submersible back in '01. Lots of pics, and they had two unmanned smaller submersibles with cameras. Lots of very spooky pictures!

Another book was an account of the survivors and their stories from the event until their demise. Very interesting, and somewhat depressing and/or heartbreaking depending on your point of view.

There's many more books on this subject, but that will satisfy me for a little while. Guess I need to go and watch "A Night To Remember" again (for the 10th time or so) which I now have on DVD, which was copied from a beta tape off the TV many years ago.

Also have another B&W movie from that same era literally entitled "The Titantic". Of the two, "A Night To Remember" seems more compelling and realistic. Including and especially after what I've been reading from those who have authenticated the stories from the various reports and survivors.

Next on the list is to know more about the shortcomings in the construction. Particularly in the issue of the type of steel chosen which has been spoken about in some reports by those familiar with the processes in those days.
Being formerly in the steel fabrication field myself, I find this interesting.

In any event, there's no shortage of material to absorb on the subject. And I'm fortunate that my library system can get these books relatively quickly.

Cheers,

RR

Treating myself to a little walk down memory lane.

Reading the Madeleine L'Engle Time Quintet (Wrinkle in Time series) for the first time since childhood. There is NO WAY I understood half of this as a kid - a much different series with adult (sort of) eyes.

Brewdude":ldpn2uds said:
Bemused":ldpn2uds said:

Never read it. Always wanted to. Looks like I'll check this out of the library next.

Thanks for the reminder Bemused!

Cheers,

RR
Just finished reading this Bemused. It certainly held my interest. Classic Twain.

Subsequently, I just re-read "Old Yeller" which was a pivotal book in my youth. 4th grade, IIRC. In fact I clearly remember reading it out loud with my neighbour page by page, each taking turns.

Can't really say I remember a lot about it except for perhaps the issue of Old Yeller contracting rabies (or hydrophobia as they called it) and having to shoot him.

Now onto HG Wells "War Of The Worlds" and also have "The Time Machine" up next. All courtesy of my local library. What a great resource!

8)

Cheers,

RR

On a HG Wells kick right now.

Just finished "War of the Worlds", and today "The Time Machine".

Next up is "The Invisible Man" and "First Men in the Moon".

I hasten to add that I'm not any kind of a scholar. Anything but in fact. These books interested me and I read them with interest since I'd never read them before, yet some of it was lost on me. Due to whatever you might attribute it to - my lack of formal education being the probable culprit here - as I'm not and never have been highly edumacated.  And no I don't apologise for that.

Guess I wanted to see what these tomes had for me after all these years. (Gawd, look at me invoking the term "tomes" ---- :joker:)

There's a lot of other books I'll be checking out of my local library. What a great resource. Hopefully they'll go down better.

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude said:
On a HG Wells kick right now.

Just finished "War of the Worlds", and today "The Time Machine".

Next up is "The Invisible Man" and "First Men in the Moon".

I hasten to add that I'm not any kind of a scholar. Anything but in fact. These books interested me and I read them with interest since I'd never read them before, yet some of it was lost on me. Due to whatever you might attribute it to - my lack of formal education being the probable culprit here - as I'm not and never have been highly edumacated.  And no I don't apologise for that.

Guess I wanted to see what these tomes had for me after all these years. (Gawd, look at me invoking the term "tomes" ---- :joker:)

There's a lot of other books I'll be checking out of my local library. What a great resource. Hopefully they'll go down better.

Cheers, [qoute]

Brewdude,
It really does not matter the level of ones knowledge. The mear act of reading helps to expand ones thinking and shows a desire to continue doing so. I have been blessed all my life with a love of reading. Yet had you a chance to see my report cards in school you would not think so. It is much easer to retain information on that which interests us then that others wish us to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.