What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brewdude":nptnprr6 said:
On a HG Wells kick right now.

Just finished "War of the Worlds", and today "The Time Machine".

Next up is "The Invisible Man" and "First Men in the Moon".

I hasten to add that I'm not any kind of a scholar. Anything but in fact. These books interested me and I read them with interest since I'd never read them before, yet some of it was lost on me. Due to whatever you might attribute it to - my lack of formal education being the probable culprit here - as I'm not and never have been highly edumacated.  And no I don't apologise for that.

Guess I wanted to see what these tomes had for me after all these years. (Gawd, look at me invoking the term "tomes" ---- :joker:)

There's a lot of other books I'll be checking out of my local library. What a great resource. Hopefully they'll go down better.

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR

I love this. I've been accused of reading "classics" because I think I'm "smart."

BS.

Some of them are just good reads (and some are stuffy and dull). Wells is a whole lot of fun to read - glad you're enjoying him.

For my part, I've decided I'm long overdue for a re-read of Stephen King's Dark Tower Saga. So I started that this morning.

Mr Clemens and Mark Twain- Justin Kaplan

Reading basically on accident, but it's interesting so I'll be finishing it.

The first novel I read in the English language. I was then 15...and somewhat mastered English.

I decided to revisit, now that my proficiency is decent. :)

Lord Guyrox":tod2k6v9 said:

The first novel I read in the English language. I was then 15...and somewhat mastered English.

I decided to revisit, now that my proficiency is decent. :)
That's a good one

Finished up "The Island of Dr. Moreau" yesterday. And read "The Invisible Man" followed by "First Men In the Moon" earlier.  Started off with "The Time Machine" and "War of the Worlds". I think I'm now maxed out on H.G Wells for the time being.

Going to get in a couple more classics I don't remember reading - "Robinson Caruso" and "Treasure Island". All from the local library.

I'm also going to see if they have "Hitler's Willing Executioners" as I've heard wildly different reports on this. I have kind of an interest in WWII since my late Pap fought in this. The local used bookshop has "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" and I've thumbed through it a few times. It seems much too dense for the likes of me though as I don't read on the collegiate level.

There's plenty of others on my bucket list right now.

Cheers,

RR

The Late George Apley by John P. Marquand. An American Classic, won the Pulitzer, but is often misunderstand by modern readers, because it is deft satire. Mr. Apley, the deceased, is a Boston brahmin from the days in which there was no income tax?  The book's narrator is a professional biographer and Apley's contemporary. But here's the thing -- very early in the book, the reader is told (clearly though somewhat subtlety) that the narrator's comments cannot be taken at face value. This nugget is given once, and then the reader is left on his / her own.

Robert Jordan - "The Eye of the World". Wheel of Time Book 1

'By His Grace and For His Glory:
A Historical, Theological, and Practical Study of the Doctrines of Grave in Baptist Life' Thomas J. Nettles.

How's that for a subtitle.

puros_bran":pvmbwbo1 said:
'By His Grace and For His Glory:
A Historical, Theological, and Practical Study of the Doctrines of Grave in Baptist Life' Thomas J. Nettles.

How's that for a subtitle.
Great Stuff. But I think that's "Doctrines of Grace". ;)

Just finished "Swiss Family Robinson". Don't remember reading this as a kid, and had high expectations. Frankly I found it underwhelming due to all the impossible situations of various animals and plants/fruits on a desert isle. After reading "Robinson Crusoe" recently this was a let down.

Also got "Hitler's Willing Executioners" from the local library. This one defeated me due to it being on a level that I don't exist on. Which is to say I'm far from an academic or highly edumacated. Too many big words and concepts that only college folks and those with masters and PHD's can understand. I was lost, bored, and got disinterested in a short time.

Guess my reading/comprehension level is more like that of an 9th grader, since I dropped out of school in my head about that time!

Next up is "Dry Guillotine" which I've wanted to read for many years. An account of the penal colony of Devil's Island in French Guiana. No copy available through the library, so I chanced on a reasonably priced used hardback through amazon. Hope it isn't as dense as the the former try. And if it is, I'll donate it.

Cheers,

RR

Happy to report that "Dry Guillotine" is proving to be a worthwhile read. Now firmly into it and it's holding my interest 100%. More my level of reading I guess.

I should mention that some parts of "Hitler's Willing Executioners" were plain enough. But I got lost in the overall analysis. Just too confusing to follow. I did get the general idea, somewhat anyway.

Has anyone else read it? I've recently been intrigued with books on WWII and have skimmed a few at the local used bookstore, since my late Pap fought in this conflict.

One book in particular, "The Third Reich", seems to be one that many recommend. Yet I just can't get into it since it's so dense with details that after a paragraph or so my eyes cross. Maybe I'm not cut out for this kind of reading.

:|

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":xc9tmhgu said:
Happy to report that "Dry Guillotine" is proving to be a worthwhile read. Now firmly into it and it's holding my interest 100%. More my level of reading I guess.

I should mention that some parts of "Hitler's Willing Executioners" were plain enough. But I got lost in the overall analysis. Just too confusing to follow. I did get the general idea, somewhat anyway.

Has anyone else read it? I've recently been intrigued with books on WWII and have skimmed a few at the local used bookstore, since my late Pap fought in this conflict.

One book in particular, "The Third Reich", seems to be one that many recommend. Yet I just can't get into it since it's so dense with details that after a paragraph or so my eyes cross. Maybe I'm not cut out for this kind of reading.

Cheers,

RR
I've not read that one Rande, but can thoroughly recommend any of Stephen E Ambrose's books. He's the author famous for the best selling Band of Brothers. I found him to have an easy writing style that is very absorbing.

Remaining with WWII I can also recommend 'Hitler's Last Day: Minute by Minute'. It details Hitler's last 24 hours in his bunker in Berlin from the perspective of many other's accounts taken from their personal memoirs and diaries. Fascinating stuff.

I'm currently reading 'Gone to Ground' by Marie Jalowicz Simon. It's the author's personal account of trying to survive in Berlin at the height of the war, her situation made all the more challenging by her being Jewish. I'm not finding it as engrossing as the other books mentioned above, but nonetheless it provides an intriguing insight into life in wartime Berlin.

Stick":9ag37hwt said:
Brewdude":9ag37hwt said:

Cheers,

RR
I've not read that one Rande, but can thoroughly recommend any of Stephen E Ambrose's books.  He's the author famous for the best selling Band of Brothers.  I found him to have an easy writing style that is very absorbing.

Remaining with WWII I can also recommend 'Hitler's Last Day: Minute by Minute'.  It details Hitler's last 24 hours in his bunker in Berlin from the perspective of many other's accounts taken from their personal memoirs and diaries.  Fascinating stuff.

I'm currently reading 'Gone to Ground' by Marie Jalowicz Simon.  It's the author's personal account of trying to survive in Berlin at the height of the war, her situation made all the more challenging by her being Jewish.  I'm not finding it as engrossing as the other books mentioned above, but nonetheless it provides an intriguing insight into life in wartime Berlin.
Thanks for the recommendations mate. I'll certainly be checking them out in due course.

Cheers,

RR

Just finished "Dry Guillotine". A most compelling and fascinating read. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Next up is "Mutiny on the Bounty". Never read this and always wanted to.

Stick, I have both the books you recommended put forward to our library who will seek to obtain them through the library system. They're not available in our county wide library catalogue. Yet they believe they can get them through a sharing programme employed throughout our state. Might take a bit of time though.

Cheers,

RR

Next up is "Mutiny on the Bounty". Never read this and always wanted to.
It's been a long time, since high school, but I remember loving it. I need to read it again, I'm way behind on my reading.

Currently I'm reading short stories, splitting time between two volumes (Mark Twain and Ray Bradbury)

Status
Not open for further replies.