What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bemused":qtleao3i said:
Next up is "Mutiny on the Bounty". Never read this and always wanted to.
It's been a long time, since high school, but I remember loving it. I need to read it again, I'm way behind on my reading.
I'm about halfway through it and it's hard to put down.

Cheers,

RR

Working on Storm Front, the first of the Dresden Files novels by Jim Butcher. And smoking a mix of C & D's Burley Flake no 3 and MB's 7 Seas Royal in my Cavicchi.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ePtIB82qlso" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Stick":mo29twc6 said:
Remaining with WWII I can also recommend 'Hitler's Last Day: Minute by Minute'.  It details Hitler's last 24 hours in his bunker in Berlin from the perspective of many other's accounts taken from their personal memoirs and diaries.  Fascinating stuff.

I'm currently reading 'Gone to Ground' by Marie Jalowicz Simon.  It's the author's personal account of trying to survive in Berlin at the height of the war, her situation made all the more challenging by her being Jewish.  I'm not finding it as engrossing as the other books mentioned above, but nonetheless it provides an intriguing insight into life in wartime Berlin.
Just finishing up "Gone to Ground" right now mate. Like you, I'm not finding it as compelling yet still a reasonably interesting read. Seems to be mired in countless details that don't seem germane to the storyline. That gets a little distracting.

Just learned that the other book you recommended has come in at the library, through a multi state lending programme. So I'll be picking that up in the next day or so.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":39m2luey said:
Stick":39m2luey said:
Remaining with WWII I can also recommend 'Hitler's Last Day: Minute by Minute'.  It details Hitler's last 24 hours in his bunker in Berlin from the perspective of many other's accounts taken from their personal memoirs and diaries.  Fascinating stuff.

I'm currently reading 'Gone to Ground' by Marie Jalowicz Simon.  It's the author's personal account of trying to survive in Berlin at the height of the war, her situation made all the more challenging by her being Jewish.  I'm not finding it as engrossing as the other books mentioned above, but nonetheless it provides an intriguing insight into life in wartime Berlin.
Just finishing up "Gone to Ground" right now mate. Like you, I'm not finding it as compelling yet still a reasonably interesting read. Seems to be mired in countless details that don't seem germane to the storyline. That gets a little distracting.

Just learned that the other book you recommended has come in at the library, through a multi state lending programme. So I'll be picking that up in the next day or so.

Cheers,

RR
Yes, it's taking me longer than it should to finish Gone to Ground, Rande. But finish it I will. Tickled that you picked it up though!

What are you going for next old chap?

Stick":7eulyprt said:
Brewdude":7eulyprt said:
Stick":7eulyprt said:

Cheers,

RR
Yes, it's taking me longer than it should to finish Gone to Ground, Rande. But finish it I will. Tickled that you picked it up though!

I'll be picking up "Hitler's Last Days" on the morrow mate. Another inter-library lending book, so will also have limited time to read it. Such that the rules are.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":hpdnfbv4 said:
Stick":hpdnfbv4 said:
Brewdude":hpdnfbv4 said:
Stick":hpdnfbv4 said:

Cheers,

RR

I'll be picking up "Hitler's Last Days" on the morrow mate. Another inter-library lending book, so will also have limited time to read it. Such that the rules are.

Cheers,

RR
Standby for a good dose of intrigue then mate. Good choice.

Stick":q0qf0ibn said:
Remaining with WWII I can also recommend 'Hitler's Last Day: Minute by Minute'.  It details Hitler's last 24 hours in his bunker in Berlin from the perspective of many other's accounts taken from their personal memoirs and diaries.  Fascinating stuff. What are you going for next old chap?
Brewdude":q0qf0ibn said:

Cheers,

RR
Stick":q0qf0ibn said:

Just finished up "Hitler's Last Day: Minute by Minute". Have to admit it held my interest right from the first and was hard to put down. Think I finished it in less than a week!

Very compelling reading mate, thanks so much for the recommendation. So gut wrenching to read all those eyewitness accounts.

Cheers,

RR

Decided to revisit some books I had read back in the 70's, by one P.G. Wodehouse in the Jeeves series. Read several of them but by no means all of them, and it turns out there are plenty!

So, this past week I got in 5, with another 2 on the way from the local library. Right now stuck into the first one - "Jeeves in the Offing".

Been a while since I entertained the wit of Bertie Wooster, Jeeves, and Aunt Dahlia, but it all come back now loud and clear. Wodehouse certainly did have the classic Brit thing down pat and knew how to express it. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.

Lots of intrigue and double entendres, and if you're an anglophile like myself this stuff is classic. Otherwise it could be "all piss and wind, like a barber's cat" as one pundit once put it!

What a great resource the library system is. Any other P.G. Wodehouse fans here?

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":8shd8v99 said:
Decided to revisit some books I had read back in the 70's, by one P.G. Wodehouse in the Jeeves series. Read several of them but by no means all of them, and it turns out there are plenty!

So, this past week I got in 5, with another 2 on the way from the local library. Right now stuck into the first one - "Jeeves in the Offing".

Been a while since I entertained the wit of Bertie Wooster, Jeeves, and Aunt Dahlia, but it all come back now loud and clear. Wodehouse certainly did have the classic Brit thing down pat and knew how to express it. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.

Lots of intrigue and double entendres, and if you're an anglophile like myself this stuff is classic. Otherwise it could be "all piss and wind, like a barber's cat" as one pundit once put it!

What a great resource the library system is. Any other P.G. Wodehouse fans here?
Cheers,

RR
Overall, Jeeves & Bertie are just plain fun. However, 'Code of the Woosters' really has some biting political satire in it, as he mocks a stand-in for Oswald Mosley, and his 'black shorts' followers

The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting "Heil, Spode!" and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: "Look at that frightful ass Spode swanking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?"

Brewdude":jehe6a13 said:
Stick":jehe6a13 said:
Remaining with WWII I can also recommend 'Hitler's Last Day: Minute by Minute'.  It details Hitler's last 24 hours in his bunker in Berlin from the perspective of many other's accounts taken from their personal memoirs and diaries.  Fascinating stuff. What are you going for next old chap?
Brewdude":jehe6a13 said:

Cheers,

RR
Stick":jehe6a13 said:

Just finished up "Hitler's Last Day: Minute by Minute". Have to admit it held my interest right from the first and was hard to put down. Think I finished it in less than a week!

Very compelling reading mate, thanks so much for the recommendation. So gut wrenching to read all those eyewitness accounts.

Cheers,

RR
I'm so pleased you enjoyed it Rande. Very insightful eh?

Continuing with the World War II theme...

Operation Mincemeat by Ben MacIntyre.

One April morning in 1943, a sardine fisherman spotted the corpse of a British soldier floating in the sea off the coast of Spain and set in train a series of events that would change the course of the Second World War. Operation Mincemeat was the most successful wartime deception ever attempted...

This true story involves a fantastically interesting cast including a rather splendid military intelligence chap called Cholmondley (pronounced Chumley) complete with the classic waxed 'tache; another military intelligence type and none other than Ian Flemming, author of James Bond; a stunningly beautiful girl; and a dead Welsh Tramp. You really couldn't make it up. In essence, Op Mincemeat successfully diverted a huge proportion of German troops, enough to make the landings at Sicily a huge success.

I'm only part way through, but this is turning into a real "boys' own" epic.

Stick":v69g3msj said:
Continuing with the World War II theme...

Operation Mincemeat by Ben MacIntyre.

One April morning in 1943, a sardine fisherman spotted the corpse of a British soldier floating in the sea off the coast of Spain and set in train a series of events that would change the course of the Second World War.  Operation Mincemeat was the most successful wartime deception ever attempted...

This true story involves a fantastically interesting cast including a rather splendid military intelligence chap called Cholmondley (pronounced Chumley) complete with the classic waxed 'tache; another military intelligence type and none other than Ian Flemming, author of James Bond; a stunningly beautiful girl; and a dead Welsh Tramp.  You really couldn't make it up.  In essence, Op Mincemeat successfully diverted a huge proportion of German troops, enough to make the landings at Sicily a huge success.

I'm only part way through, but this is turning into a real "boys' own" epic.
I shall have to add this to the ever growing list. Ta very much for the rec mate!

Cheers,

RR

Status
Not open for further replies.