What Are You Reading?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fight'n Hampsters":sszz975n said:
...How has it been so far?  This is on my list.
Re the Alexander Hamilton book above: It's quite readable, but long. Has a novelistic narrative drive that helps things along, without getting too bogged down in trivia. I recommend it for anyone wanting to learn about the man and the conflicts of the era, mostly the Republican/Federalist clash. I'm not really a fan of biographies as such, but I'll be glad I read this one--once I finish the dang thing. Hamilton was a great man and self-made, if you admire that quality. I do, because it entails volition, rather than reading about some famous passive drunk who has things happen to him. Hamilton had volition in spades.

Richard Burley":eeujfghz said:
Fight'n Hampsters":eeujfghz said:
...How has it been so far?  This is on my list.
Re the Alexander Hamilton book above: It's quite readable, but long. Has a novelistic narrative drive that helps things along, without getting too bogged down in trivia. I recommend it for anyone wanting to learn about the man and the conflicts of the era, mostly the Republican/Federalist clash. I'm not really a fan of biographies as such, but I'll be glad I read this one--once I finish the dang thing. Hamilton was a great man and self-made, if you admire that quality. I do, because it entails volition, rather than reading about some famous passive drunk who has things happen to him. Hamilton had volition in spades.

Thanks!

Currently reading The Jesuits from Malachi Martin. And, concurrently, also reading A commentary on the Book of Revelation and Unlocking the Bible from David Pawson. To relax, I read La bataille du Saint - Laurent (The Saint Lawrence Battle) from Jacques Castonguay, one of the rare books, surprisingly, focusing on the U-Boot's incursions (and ravages) in the Saint Lawrence Golf and river during WWII.
And, of course, smoking my pipes throughout. :D

Of Mice and Men 
Author: John Steinbeck

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":41w11gmm said:
Of Mice and Men 
Author: John Steinbeck
It's been decades since I read this, but I have assigned it for a class this semester (World 1914-1945), so I'll need to read it again soon.

DrT, read this book years ago also back in High School. Now that all I have is time on my hands I'd like to enjoy reading it again. As you get older one tends to also forget, " a mind is a terrible thing to waste "! 

Also want to refresh my memory with another classic:
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller, I believe I'm a Willy Loman type of guy.....allot of travels in my life but not as a salesman. Over 34 years and at the end I got the shaft as Willy did....lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":84c7e7tq said:
DrT, read this book years ago also back in High School. Now that all I have is time on my hands I'd like to enjoy reading it again. As you get older one tends to also forget, " a mind is a terrible thing to waste "! 

Also want to refresh my memory with another classic:
Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller, I believe I'm a Willy Loman type of guy.....allot of travels in my life but not as a salesman. Over 34 years and at the end I got the shaft as Willy did....lol

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Always good to be reading the good stuff!

If anyone is interested, this is what else I've assigned this semester
World Civ 1 ... The Bacchae
History of Britain (sophomore level) ... Canterbury Tales, Taming of the Shrew, Sherlock Holmes, A Murder is Announced (Christie)
World 1914-45 ... R.U.R. (Capek), The Blacker the Berry (Wallace Thurman, Harlem Renaissance), Unnatural Death (Sayers), Of Mice & Men

Oooooookaaaay. Next in the line up. ...

'Escape from Germany. A history of RAF escapes during the war', Aiden Crawley.

Early doors yet, but all set to be another great reference publication.

And only £2.81 delivered from the Amazon market place!

DrT, so did you have time to refresh your memory and read Of Mice and Men? Do you believe George did right by Lennie ( mercy killing )  when he killed him? Do you believe if Curley got to Lennie first it would have been worse, as in a much slower death. Lennie did not kill Curley's wife intentionally, Lennie in reality did not know his own strength when he shook Curley's wife ( broke her neck ) to death. George killed Lennie out of guilt, for bringing Lennie to the ranch in the first place. George felt responsible for the death of Curley's wife. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":az4e0ay3 said:
DrT, so did you have time to refresh your memory and read Of Mice and Men? Do you believe George did right by Lennie ( mercy killing )  when he killed him? Do you believe if Curley got to Lennie first it would have been worse, as in a much slower death. Lennie did not kill Curley's wife intentionally, Lennie in reality did not know his own strength when he shook Curley's wife ( broke her neck ) to death. George killed Lennie out of guilt, for bringing Lennie to the ranch in the first place. George felt responsible for the death of Curley's wife. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
We're reading it in April, so I haven't reread it yet, but if I remember right, the way Steinbeck shows the people in the story (not to mention the similar people in 'Grapes of Wrath', set about 10 years later), George may have saved Lennie from being lynched, certainly a more terror-filled if short experience than being shot by surprise. Of course, Lennie would almost certainly have been executed by the state in that period, so again, better a quick death by surprise, IMO -- unless you think George could have gotten Lennie away, or Lennie might have been committed if not lynched or executed. And, if George did realize he couldn't protect Lennie any further or indeed felt partly responsible for the woman's death, that would have weighed in his decision.

Well DrT,  a true friend would not and could not be capable of shooting a close friend in the head. I do agree it's much better then waiting around to be hung! But my thoughts, Lennie might have been committed to an institution or a true friend would have skipped the State and/or country together, that is in real life. Obviously Steinbeck wanted the book too also leave that shock in the readers mind, always keep your eyes open with your friends....lol. Very well written.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Stick":vs9gt9k7 said:
Oooooookaaaay. Next in the line up. ...

'Escape from Germany. A history of RAF escapes during the war', Aiden Crawley.

Early doors yet, but all set to be another great reference publication.

And only £2.81 delivered from the Amazon market place!
Ta very much for the rec mate. I'll be on the lookout for this as I'm rather enjoying the escape accounts these days.

Brewdude":vs9gt9k7 said:
Now deeply into "The Complete Sherlock Holmes, vol II". The old bean is reeling with the story/sub-story of "The Valley of Fear". Cripes, what a complete surprise to see it told in this fashion. Very riveting and I'm savouring every word!
Finished this incredible collection of stories, and now am stuck into "The Beekeepers Apprentice", which was well recommended by someone here. Now who was it........

Blackhorse":vs9gt9k7 said:
At some point, if you want some good fun, pick up "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie R. King. It begins a series of brilliantly written pastiches wherein our Mr. Holmes, in his retirement, marries a young woman...and their case solving adventures together.
In truth Dave, this book hooked me from the introduction and hasn't let go. Now about halfway through and can't wait to dig deeper. While it might not be Doyle penning this, the elements are all there as they would if he himself had written it.

Very enjoyable, and while this is a library loan I can see getting in a personal copy. Very grateful for the rec. Although, I haven't gotten to the part where he marries this young woman!

Next up is "The Complete Sherlock Holmes vol I"

Cheers,

RR

Caught up with some classics recently.

One being 'God's Little Acre" by Erskine Caldwell. Remember seeing the movie back many years ago but didn't remember much about it, except that I enjoyed it.

The book however was interesting and also disturbing in some ways. More than that I won't go into just now. Held my interest though.

Right now stuck into "The Wooden Horse" by Eric Williams. A bold account of the escape attempt from a German POW camp in WWII. Seems I'm on a roll these days with similar accounts.

Cheers,

RR

Just finished "Escape From Germany" by Aiden Crawley. Another first hand account of escape activities the POW's in Nazi Germany undertook, sometimes to great effect. And even while the vast majority of them were unsuccessful, without a doubt they were very well planned and executed.

Now onto an old classic - Dickens '"Oliver Twist". Think I may have read this back in public school but don't remember much about it - probably owing to being forced to read it, no doubt! Lots nicer to be able to enjoy reading it here and now.

Cheers,

RR

Status
Not open for further replies.