What are you smokin'?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't smoke many cigars, but I bought two on a whim. The first, for the drive home today, is a Dunhill Valverdes

most recently, a Toraño Exodus '59 (Gold) ... I love those cigars.

going to one of my son's house for dinner on Thanksgiving ... I'm going to take a couple of Oliva Os with me and give one to my son's father-in-law ... my son has his own preferences which don't match mine and he's got plenty of what he likes, so I won't need to take one for him.

Montecristo Chicago, which is the same as the New York except for size. I smoked it outside which I almost never do. Had a hard time tasting anything and only at the very end did I realize that I should have been snorking all along. I also don't think I'll smoke a $13.00 cigar outside again; why pay for taste and then have troubling finding it?

Bought:

My Father le Bijou Churchill
La Gloria Cubana Serie R, 5.5 X 66
Camacho Triple Maduro Churchill

As soon as the temp warms up to at least freezing, I'll have the second cigar I bought, a Baccarat Panatella Natural

last night had a Fallen Angel robusto. new AJ Fernandez blend. it was pretty mild in the flavor dept. had tons of pepper int he retrohale at first but then the flavor died down. my palate might have been shot from smoking all day at the pipe club though, so i'll revisit before i come to any hard judgement.

Rocky Patel the Edge. i really liked this cigar. took about an inch for the flavor to kick in. creamy smoke, easy draw, cedar (slight), chocolate, coffee. all the flavor i love. long smoke though...

somedumbjerk":ye1bd3fo said:
Rocky Patel the Edge. i really liked this cigar. took about an inch for the flavor to kick in. creamy smoke, easy draw, cedar (slight), chocolate, coffee. all the flavor i love. long smoke though...
What wrapper is your Edge? I had a RP Edge that I picked up from BevMo in Sunnyvale back in May. I didn't care for it. It did burn nice and slow however.

DrumsAndBeer":h63ynck1 said:
somedumbjerk":h63ynck1 said:
What wrapper is your Edge? I had a RP Edge that I picked up from BevMo in Sunnyvale back in May. I didn't care for it. It did burn nice and slow however.
i want to say it was natural, but i'm honestly not sure. it wasn't a maduro but it came in the four pack sampler. so either natural or corojo? it was dark, and i'm a newb with cigars.

somedumbjerk":v33sflgm said:
i want to say it was natural, but i'm honestly not sure. it wasn't a maduro but it came in the four pack sampler. so either natural or corojo? it was dark, and i'm a newb with cigars.
Haven't had the Natural yet, I believe the one I had was the Corojo wrapper. It seemed a shade or two lighter than a maduro. It was deep but a bit too earthy for my taste. If anything it was all just various shades of earthy flavor with a touch of spice and very little of anything else. Kind of flat.

Next time you are in Edward's, look for the JFR maduros with the little pigtails. They are very affordable and smoke really nice. One of the gentlemen there (Not Rick) recommended them to my brother and I. For the price point I was impressed.

DrumsAndBeer":rjuj73za said:
somedumbjerk":rjuj73za said:
Haven't had the Natural yet, I believe the one I had was the Corojo wrapper. It seemed a shade or two lighter than a maduro. It was deep but a bit too earthy for my taste. If anything it was all just various shades of earthy flavor with a touch of spice and very little of anything else. Kind of flat.

Next time you are in Edward's, look for the JFR maduros with the little pigtails. They are very affordable and smoke really nice. One of the gentlemen there (Not Rick) recommended them to my brother and I. For the price point I was impressed.    
sweet! thanks for the recommendation! i'll pick one up this weekend. i was between that and a gurkha red witch but two guys int here said go for the red witch. i like to let them rest before i smoke them, so it won't be until this weekend. i'll report back

somedumbjerk":hwnagmu6 said:
DrumsAndBeer":hwnagmu6 said:
somedumbjerk":hwnagmu6 said:

sweet! thanks for the recommendation! i'll pick one up this weekend. i was between that and a gurkha red witch but two guys int here said go for the red witch. i like to let them rest before i smoke them, so it won't be until this weekend. i'll report back
Stopped in a variety store a couple years ago and noticed a cabinet humidor on the back wall so I had to check it out. There was a box of Rocky Patel Edge Corojo Missile (short belicoso) with 4 cigars remaining, but no price. I asked the clerk, who happened to be the store owner about the price and offered him $20 for all 4. He agreed. These Rockys had been in that humi a while and were covered with plume. Score! 8) 

Oliva G Robusto Maduro.

very nice, hated to let it go out.

rothnh":2s7qcey9 said:
"... offered him $20 for all 4. He agreed.
Nice ... those are good cigars ... though me being the way I am, I'd probably have offered $10 and then bargained a bit from there if he declined ...

H Uppman Habana

images

D&B, you go it going on! Pipe and snuff master and cigar aficionado. I can't keep up. If I snorted tobacco powder up my nose, they'd clock my sneezes at 50 mph:).